Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a used riding mower for a while and convinced myself that it needed to be a John Deere. Found one on craigslist yesterday and called about getting it. I had to have hernia surgery this morning, so I was trying to grab it while I could. Anyway, the guy called back today and agreed to deliver it (about 45 minutes away) for the asking price ($500).

Everything looks good on the mower, but there's one issue. There's a squalling noise, possibly from the drive belt? When the parking brake is in, everything is quiet. When it's out, there's a squall. Drives fine, cuts fine, and moving doesn't seem to affect the squall. I would greatly appreciate any insight into what I need to look at to fix the noise (hopefully it's a common problem and cheap to fix). I won't be in any condition to get under it for a couple weeks, so I'd like to have everything planned out for when I'm mobile.

Here's the craigslist ad for the mower, if I got ripped off don't tell me (ignorance is bliss :thumbup1gif:)
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/grd/2635779769.html

I'll get some pics and post them soon.

Brian

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took the deck off today and rode down to the neighbor's house (he's a diesel mechanic and apparently used to work at John Deere). He confirmed what you both suspected, and I've ordered a new pulley. Thanks for the help!

Brian

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Welcome to DT!

Really glad you solved the problem. Now that green is in your blood, it is infectious. Post up a pic of your machine. Good luck with the surgery. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a new idler today and put it on. Everything is golden now (or green?) Anyway, I'll get some pictures up soon.

I don't have headlightsl in the front. The lens is there, and the wire is there from the switch. I'm debating between buying stock headlights and caps http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Headlight-Socket-AM128497_p_2938.html $20 for two plus $13 for a wiring harness, or making a mount and picking up some 12 volt LED headlights in the front. It seems like I should be able to find some reasonably bright, low current 12V LEDs reasonably cheap.

I'd appreciate any thoughts that way. Pics coming.

Brian

·
Premium Member
7,450 Posts
Are you intending to mow at night? From what I can tell on my L130, those bulbs similar to the ubiquitous 1156/1157 don't put out much light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts