Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new member here looking for some advice.

I’m currently on a Kubota BX1860 that I’ve used for the past several year for property maintenance. I’m looking to downsize since I don’t really need the loader and 3PH anymore.

My primary needs are mowing about an acre of hilly property and pulling a snail utility trailer. I’ve been looking at the x500 series but my main concern is the hills. I mow with the BX in 4WD vertically and horizontally with zero issue. Yesterday I tried mowing in 2WD and lost control twice coming down the hill. Up was no problem, but there was zero trans braking coming down and the foot brake just locks the wheels and makes it worse.

Ive never driver a JD but always wanted one. Would the X500 series be any different on a slope? The x700 with 4WD is just not feasible.

Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,435 Posts
I think you'd be surprised at what a difference a machine made for mowing would do there, especially with wheels weights on the rear wheels and aggressive tires. That said, I don't know just how steep that incline is.

Welcome to GTT

·
Premium Member
6,073 Posts
How steep are your hills? Got any pics?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plant Tree Natural landscape Sky Land lot Plant Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Sky Car Pictures are a bit deceiving. It’s a little steeper than it looks but nothing crazy. I’ll see if I can measure the slope this afternoon.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have done a couple of things to improve the traction of my zero turn on hills. 1. I grooved the tires. They were already turf tires but I figured the more grooves in them the better. 2. I loaded my tires with windshield washer fluid. That added almost 100 lbs of weight right where I needed it, on the rear tires. It made a big difference.

I can't help answer your question about the garden tractor on hills. I am simply letting you know that if you get one and it isn't all you desired there are a few things you can do to make it perform better. Wheel weights, wheel spacers, rear weights are a few others that come to mind. Not to mention running a more aggressive tire lug pattern.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Hood Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Traction is not really the issue. My concern maintaining control going downhill.

·
Premium Member
2,190 Posts
I bought an X570. It has the K72 transmission with traction assist. I very rarely use the traction assist. I have a few places that the grade is similar to yours and it has no issues with traction. I don’t have any weights either. Going downhill isn’t a problem, just ease off on the forward pedal. If you release the pedal, it won’t completely stop on a hill, it just creeps forward very slowly. In the fall I pull a Cyclone Rake XL to collect leaves and it still does not have any traction problems. That time of year it’s pretty wet and the material in the CR can be pretty heavy.

The X570 has manual steering and deck lift. The X580 has power steering and deck lift. The X584 has 4 wheel steer and the X590 has EFI instead of a carburetor. I’m sure there are more differences, but the Deere website will list them all for you.

Good luck and welcome to GTT.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
An x5 with HDAP tires on the rear should work out for you on that property. Slap some wheel weights on it for extra stability if you think it's needed.

I know you said an x7 is out of the question but....

An AWD x7 would be the best choice by far on that property and physically isn't any longer or wider than the x5 just a few hundred pounds heavier and a few grand more expensive.

If financing the tractor the 0% offer on the x7 makes the monthly payment very close to that of an x5.

Reactions: Kbar

·
Registered
701 Posts
Tell your JD dealer your concerns about the hill. They should be able to bring one to your place to try out if you are a very serious buyer. You don’t even need to turn the blades on to test your hilly terrain.

Reactions: scooterman

·
Registered
62 Posts
Another vote for HDAPs and some wheel weights, an X5 will go up, down, and across that all day long as long as it's not mud. If it's anything like my 345 you might want the knobbies on the front as well just to help with steering on a side slope.

·
Registered
215 Posts
View attachment 783852 View attachment 783851 Pictures are a bit deceiving. It’s a little steeper than it looks but nothing crazy. I’ll see if I can measure the slope this afternoon.
Your yard looks similar to mine. I bought a X590 last year and it navigated the hills just fine. Uphill and downhill are EZ. Cross ways you get a little lean but with the fender handles it's not a major issue. On a wet day you may get a little slippage. I agree with other post, to see if a dealer will bring one out for a test ride or do some test rides in a ditch somewhere. Because of your concern...think safety first. Don't settle for something and regret it. HDAP tires are very helpful but they have limitations.
From the photos, I don't think a X584 with AWS will be benefit. Possibly a used X700 series with AWD would fit your budget.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
iPhone inclinometer (unknown accuracy) shows 28 degrees at the steepest. Most of the inclines are around 20.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the responses so far. I’ll definitely be talking to a dealer when the time is right. I just want to educate myself as much as possible prior to. I’m probably a month or so out before I’d be looking to make the purchase.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Thanks for all the responses so far. I’ll definitely be talking to a dealer when the time is right. I just want to educate myself as much as possible prior to. I’m probably a month or so out before I’d be looking to make the purchase.

Be prepared to wait a month or two to take delivery of a new machine if the one you want needs to be ordered. JD has not been able to keep up with demand for some of their machines.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Welcome from NW SD.

rob

·
Premium Member
8,675 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts

I’m currently on a Kubota BX1860 that I’ve used for the past several year for property maintenance. I’m looking to downsize since I don’t really need the loader and 3PH anymore.

My primary needs are mowing about an acre of hilly property and pulling a snail utility trailer. I’ve been looking at the x500 series but my main concern is the hills. I mow with the BX in 4WD vertically and horizontally with zero issue. Yesterday I tried mowing in 2WD and lost control twice coming down the hill. Up was no problem, but there was zero trans braking coming down and the foot brake just locks the wheels and makes it worse.

Ive never driver a JD but always wanted one. Would the X500 series be any different on a slope? The x700 with 4WD is just not feasible.

Well consider Late Model Used X700 series with AWD and some warranty left On it or even a Late Model used X500 series.
This Place deals In that Riding Mowers » Roeder Outdoor Power and they ship around the lower 48 using Mayflower Movers There In Dubuque, Iowa I have Bought a 2012 X748 from them in 2014 and a 2012 X540 In 2016 Saw Only Pictures since I am 3hrs away I picked It Up Myself Many Members over On a sister Forum MTF have Bought from them site Unseen other Then Pictures and example On shipping $1,000 from Dubuque Iowa to the New Hampshire/Massachusetts Boarder( That was for a X585 older version of a X738) $800 to Eastern Virginia( think that was a X739) They usually have more In stock then what is Pictured Most of the Tractors are Deere employee owned By People who tend to Trade In every two years Or so Many of these Tractors are also regularly serviced By them as well and they do a complete servicing on them Including Transmission. When I Bought My 2012 X748 it was $10,200 with 110hrs I ended Up Paying $12,200 as I had them Install a New 540RPM rear PTO, Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch and also Hydro-static Relief Valve & a Hydro release lever which I sent them.

Just a Idea if You want to same some Money Instead of Going new (y)

·
Registered
818 Posts

If you were in my neck of the woods I'd offer for you to come over and test my x738. I've got some pretty good slopes and side hills and the 738 has more guts on them than I do and I ride motorcycles on and off road.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
551 Posts
There is nothing close to comparable to the JD AWD on slopes. Weights/tires are nothing compared to hydraulic AWD.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts