Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone. I have been lurking and reading the wealth of information here about the JD 1025r while waiting on delivery of my new machine.

I took possession last night of my new 2014, 1025r. It is a sweet machine. I was very impressed with how quiet the mower is when engaged compared to a lawn tractor. At any rate, that leads me to my first question. The manual states in bold to not exceed a pto (mid or rear) rpm of 540 yet states further down on the same page that an engine rpm of 3200 results in a mid pto being 2100 and a rear pto of 540. I'm confused. If I hit 540 at the rear I will exceed the mid maximum. I must be interpreting it wrong.

My other question is the mower height knob. I read the adjustment sticky but I thought I read the knob could rotate either way. I can only rotate clockwise (from sitting position). I believe I have manual lift so I set the height knob and then lower the pto with the rockshaft. I have it set to mid pto only. Should only the mid pto actuate or should the rear raise and lower too.

Sorry for the rudimentary questions

Also, I know a lot of guys are interested in pricing to track what a good deal is.

My deal:

2014, 1025r filb, h120 loader, 54" mmm with auto connect, r4 tires loaded, delivery and sales tax (just over $1,000.00) included for $20,571.00 with 0% for 60 and including the implement rebate.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,435 Posts
Welcome to GTT Skins

IMPORTANT: Avoid Damage! Use rear mounted equipment rated for 540 rpm. Do not operate mid or rear PTO over 540 RPM mark on tachometer.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
:wgtt:

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Your mid PTO is designed to operate close to 2100 rpm, the rear is 540. As Gizmo said, make sure you're operating with the tach needle on the PTO mark and you're all set.

The PTO you have selected will not affect the three point hitch arms. If you have mechanical deck lift, it will use the three point arms to raise and lower the deck so they have to move in order for the deck to lift. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the quick replies.

Another small question. I know Ken is a mod here but on his website he states hooks will be announced here when in stock. I looked in his vendor sub forum and I don't see an announcement. Does anyone know if they are in stock? Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the link. That was the sub forum I was referring to. Bummer. Guess I have to find an alternative.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Thanks for the link. That was the sub forum I was referring to. Bummer. Guess I have to find an alternative.

Welcome from New York.

Just a note, Ken's products are well made and very popular, hence the occasional shortage. I'm going to buy hooks and clevis mounts, and everytime I'm ready, Ken comes out with an improvement. Now I'm waiting for the zinc chromate plated clevis mounts.

I'd just hang in there until Ken gets his stuff available again. That's what I'm doing.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,435 Posts
Thank you for the quick replies.

Another small question. I know Ken is a mod here but on his website he states hooks will be announced here when in stock. I looked in his vendor sub forum and I don't see an announcement. Does anyone know if they are in stock? Thanks!
Just verified with Kenny, he has loads of bolt on hooks in stock. You should be all set.
Post 51....
http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/lawn-garden-tractors/12953-my-new-jd455-aka-company-tractor-6.html#post127073

Crate of Hooks.JPG

If he sold all those already......................I want in.:lol:

·
Administrator
17,957 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got the rpm's figured out but now I have another question. What is the best way to engage the mower pto. At speed at on and off? Low idle on and off and throttle up once engaged?

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I just wanted to say....

:gtfam:

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

I got the rpm's figured out but now I have another question. What is the best way to engage the mower pto. At speed at on and off? Low idle on and off and throttle up once engaged?
Engage and disengage the PTO at idle speed only. The very page you posted from the manual states it too. The tractor will have no problem accelerating the implement up to rated PTO rpms. I run the throttle to full when mowing, even if it's a tad over the PTO indicator on the tach. It won't hurt your tractor and it gives the best possible cut.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,435 Posts
Engage and disengage the PTO at idle speed only. The very page you posted from the manual states it too. The tractor will have no problem accelerating the implement up to rated PTO rpms. I run the throttle to full when mowing, even if it's a tad over the PTO indicator on the tach. It won't hurt your tractor and it gives the best possible cut.

I have often wondered about why this is. I could swear my zero turn mower manual states something along the lines of, engaging the PTO at idle will kill the clutch. Of course I assume both are of the same type of electric clutches.:unknown:

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
I have often wondered about why this is. I could swear my zero turn mower manual states something along the lines of, engaging the PTO at idle will kill the clutch. Of course I assume both are of the same type of electric clutches.:unknown:
Nope, not at all. The 1 series uses a hydraulically actuated PTO clutch with a 2 second current ramp-up to smoothly engage the clutch pack. Your ZT uses something similar to what's found on lawn mowers at the box stores, a simple electro-magnetic instantaneous engaging electric clutch.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,435 Posts
Nope, not at all. The 1 series uses a hydraulically actuated PTO clutch with a 2 second current ramp-up to smoothly engage the clutch pack. Your ZT uses something similar to what's found on lawn mowers at the box stores, a simple electro-magnetic instantaneous engaging electric clutch.
Well I can now cross that off my list. Thanks.:thumbup1gif:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts