Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New member hear and just purchased my first tractor for my 7 acres in Nebraska. It's being delivered next week. It's a 1999 4200 with FEL and 60" belly mower. Dealer didn't know much about it other than it had been sitting for a few years and it started up and everything seemed to operate fine. The one obvious issue he was able to point out was the rockshaft rod was broken. I have ordered a new rod, plate, nuts and bolts. Everything to replace what is obviously broken. (picture attached) I was just curious if that broken rod may be a sign to any of you that I need to check anything else out with the hydraulics back there or what would cause that rod to break? Is it a common thing?

I also have all fluids and filters ready to replace as soon as I get it. Anything particular I should know or look for as I go through that process?

Thanks!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think the dealer you bought it from should have fixed it before selling the tractor. I am wondering why he didn't. Can he fix it before delivery or did you buy it "as is"? There may be other problems not yet found.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Is it a question of you would like to fix it yourself, or that the dealer had no interest in the repair? If it's the later, then I would ask myself why.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should clarify. I am fixing myself. Dealer had not gone through anything on the tractor yet, it had just come in on trade that week. I bought it this way because I was able to negotiate to a good price that I could afford at the moment. I understand it was a bit of a gamble and I am okay with that, it is what I can manage right now. It does start, run and loader works. I do not believe the Dealer was being shady at all.

That being said, I am simply inquiring if this is telling of a bigger, common issue with these machines that somebody on here with much more expertise could point me towards looking at. Or anything else I should be aware of or look for as I go through a tune up when I get it. But maybe I just need to wait until I have the machine and ask questions as I run into specific problems I can't figure out. Just getting antsy to get going I guess..

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think there are several people here that can help you with your questions. It may take some time for them to read your post and respond. That type of repair is not a common problem for any brand tractor that I am aware of, but I am bot a mechanic. So keep watching for answers, you will get some soon. Also, welcome to the GTT forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am trying to respond but it won't let me, something about being a new member and I've reached my limit of messages... it also says I won't be allowed to attach my email.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts