Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just ordered my very first "tractor" okay its a sub compact but still awesome to me They will be delivering it next Saturday and I cant wait.

If anyone has suggestions to help make this difficult time lol easier please let me know I am not proud. I will hate to do something stupid right out of the chute.

I have a FEL, 54" auto connect with mulch kit (wanted 60" but they didn't have one and I would have to wait weeks) and the JD snowblower 53" with hyd rotator and chute control by cable.

They said I should add the power take off incase I ever want to use the backloader is it worth it or wise?

I am also looking at the LED light kit so I can work at night (I work swing shift) will it give the light I need? I don't think the lights on it are enough.

The dealer said filling the tires would not be good as it would rust out the wheels and had me get the ballast box for the rear.

Question in the cutting height.. the dealer just showed me and its labeled low to high anyone know what low is in inches lol.

I had ordered a Kubota bx2380 but the dealer I was working with kept delaying and delay .now been 7 weeks so I gave up so I hope I picked a good machine and not just one on the rebound....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome to the site...

Loading the tires with Antifreeze/ calcium like theydidin the old days did indeed rust rim from the inside out. Luckily for you we now live in the 21st century however sounds like your dealer doesn't. Loads of new products on the market that you can load the tires with. Much better than having a ballast box in your way all the while imho. Find s local tire shop and ask them what they are using to load tires with these days at there shop. LED light kits are great. The tractor comes with a PTO, confused..I suggest you get everything you want now ! Getting these things added after the fact is expensive and not advised. If you need to wait longer, wait longer. You waited this long to get the tractor. Don't let the dealer tell you what you want or need. :gizmo:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you!

Welcome to the site...

Loading the tires with Antifreeze/ calcium like theydidin the old days did indeed rust rim from the inside out. Luckily for you we now live in the 21st century however sounds like your dealer doesn't. Loads of new products on the market that you can load the tires with. Much better than having a ballast box in your way all the while imho. Find s local tire shop and ask them what they are using to load tires with these days at there shop. lED light kits are great. I suggest you get everything you want now ! Getting these things added after the fact is expense and not advised. If you need to wait longer, wait longer. You waited this long to get the tractor. Don't let the dealer tell you what you want or need. :gizmo:
thanks I will order my lights tomorrow

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I have a FEL, 54" auto connect with mulch kit (wanted 60" but they didn't have one and I would have to wait weeks) and the JD snowblower 53" with hyd rotator and chute control by cable.

They said I should add the power take off incase I ever want to use the backloader is it worth it or wise?

I'm not sure what your dealer is trying to tell you here. The tractor should have a rear PTO right?

Are you sure he said power take off?
Maybe one of these?

Power Beyond Kit
Includes Rear Mounted Hydraulic Couplers and Hose.
Not Compatible with LVB25837 (Rear Hydraulic Kit) and BLV10351 (Third SCV Kit).LVB25956

Rear Hydraulic Kit
Routes Dual Mid SCVs to Rear of Tractor. Not compatible with LVB25956 (Power Beyond Kit) or BLV10531 (Third SCV Kit).
Also not compatible with TLB models.LVB25837

Third Selective Control Valve Kit
BLV10351 is the preferred kit for open station 1 family tractors because the handle will not interfere with the seat.
Not compatible with LVB25956 (Power Beyond Kit) or LVB25837 (Rear Hydraulic Kit).
Also not compatible with TLB models.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure what your dealer is trying to tell you here. The tractor should have a rear PTO right?

Are you sure he said power take off?
Maybe one of these?

Power Beyond Kit
Includes Rear Mounted Hydraulic Couplers and Hose.
Not Compatible with LVB25837 (Rear Hydraulic Kit) and BLV10351 (Third SCV Kit).LVB25956

Rear Hydraulic Kit
Routes Dual Mid SCVs to Rear of Tractor. Not compatible with LVB25956 (Power Beyond Kit) or BLV10531 (Third SCV Kit).
Also not compatible with TLB models.LVB25837

Third Selective Control Valve Kit
BLV10351 is the preferred kit for open station 1 family tractors because the handle will not interfere with the seat.
Not compatible with LVB25956 (Power Beyond Kit) or LVB25837 (Rear Hydraulic Kit).
Also not compatible with TLB models.
Your right I just looked it called the power beyond kit he said to have installed in case I ever want to get a backhoe or rent one.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
:wgtt:

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
The dealer said filling the tires would not be good as it would rust out the wheels and had me get the ballast box for the rear.
Ya just gotta love the dealers these days. They apparently have no access to the owner's manuals for the tractors they sell.

Please consult the owner's manual for your H120 loader. Since you haven't yet taken delivery you can view the on-line version here:

OMPXX10222

Under the required ballast section you will see that JD recommends a loaded ballast box AND either liquid filled tires or iron wheel weights.

Most folks these days fill their tires with either RimGuard (beet juice) or windshield washer fluid. The only liquid that is super corrosive is Calcium Chloride.

Keep in mind that loaded tires and the ballast box do different things. The ballast box counter balances the weight in the bucket to off-load the front axle and keep your rear wheels on the ground. Loaded tires / wheel weights improves traction and increases stability of the tractor when operating on slopes.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Your right I just looked it called the power beyond kit he said to have installed in case I ever want to get a backhoe or rent one.
The power beyond is needed for a backhoe, and some use it to power things like a 3pt splitter (though it would probably be slow) or other hydraulic implement in the rear. Rental backhoes are usually 3pt attachments, which would not be recommended for the 1 series, mainly because of the aluminum rear. 3pt backhoes put a lot of stress back there. The 260 BH made for your tractor requires a mounted subframe, not something to often put on and take off your tractor. The power beyond can be added anytime if you need it in the future.

Good luck with your tractor, and hang in there, it will be worth the wait.

·
Registered
527 Posts
gttgreen.gif

Welcome from Southern Maryland. If you think you may ever have any projects that would require a backhoe you should get it now with the 0% financing offered. I am assuming you are looking at the 1025R? Get a price for the 1025R TLB which comes with the FEL and Backhoe. Kind of sounds like the sales rep you spoke with might be new because as other members already stated the filled tires now typically use rim guard (beet juice) or windshield washer fluid which will not rust / corrode out the rims like the Calcium Chloride did back in the day. Also look into getting the Imatch quick hitch, then you can use a heavy hitch with suitcase weights for ballast as an option for weights. Anyway you came to the right place for information. There are many great, knowledgeable folks here that can give you great advice. Also search the threads on this site that will answer many of the questions you have. Good luck with your new purchase and hope tp see some pictures of your new tractor! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Just ordered my very first "tractor" okay its a sub compact but still awesome to me They will be delivering it next Saturday and I cant wait.

I am also looking at the LED light kit so I can work at night (I work swing shift) will it give the light I need? I don't think the lights on it are enough.

Question in the cutting height.. the dealer just showed me and its labeled low to high anyone know what low is in inches lol.

OK, first off, welcome from a little ways down the road...

To your questions

He must have meant "Power Beyond" If your going to get a hoe or run a splitter, then yes, get it, otherwise you can skip it.

Get the LED lights however, Amazon sells them for $20 bucks a pair, all you need is bullet connectors from the parts store to connect them.

Call Mr Gee's tire in Weare, NH, they fill tractor tires with RimGuard for less than the dealers will charge you, I've checked.

I have no idea on what the cut height adjustments, the knob on my 2520 says the same thing, do what I do, get the deck leveling gauge and it has the measurements on it. https://www.greenfarmparts.com/John-Deere-Mower-Deck-Leveling-Gauge-AM130907-p/am130907.htm

Feel free to PM me with any questions or if you need to talk tractoring with another resident of Cow Hampshire, we need to stick together or the cows will take over.....

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Wheel weights , etc

1. Get the Backhoe and Power Beyond now with the John Deere financing.

2. Retired military? Get the John Deere military discount on the bundle.

3. Weighted tires and wheels add weight to the tractor that may be detrimental when mowing. I'm on flat ground and don't want a heavier machine making ruts in my grass. For rear weight with the FEL, I use rear ballast (backhoe or ballast box). Wheel weights can be added or removed. Filled tires are always heavy - even when mowing.

4. Do wait for the implements you want and get the whole bundle with that good financing and your 10% mil discount.

CW4 USA (Ret)

PS; Your​ 1025R controls and seat are more comfortable than the Kubota. Green looks better in a field, too.:greentractorride:

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
The Power Beyond kit is short money. Get it. And tell your stupid dealer to load the rear tires like the loader manual tells them needs to be done. LED lights weren't an option for my machine when I bought it but you can find plenty on the Internet for a lot less than Deere wants for their upgrade. Plus, all of the forward-facing lights they sell will shine directly into the backside of your snowblower making them pretty much useless when you need them the most. For under $75 you can buy everything you need to mount LEDs on the ROPS facing both forward and behind you.

And umm.. :wgtt:
:laugh:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,203 Posts

Looks like your questions have been answered. Have any more, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Who needs dealers with pro's like you guys. thank!

Ya just gotta love the dealers these days. They apparently have no access to the owner's manuals for the tractors they sell.

Please consult the owner's manual for your H120 loader. Since you haven't yet taken delivery you can view the on-line version here:

OMPXX10222

Under the required ballast section you will see that JD recommends a loaded ballast box AND either liquid filled tires or iron wheel weights.

Most folks these days fill their tires with either RimGuard (beet juice) or windshield washer fluid. The only liquid that is super corrosive is Calcium Chloride.

Keep in mind that loaded tires and the ballast box do different things. The ballast box counter balances the weight in the bucket to off-load the front axle and keep your rear wheels on the ground. Loaded tires / wheel weights improves traction and increases stability of the tractor when operating on slopes.
You learn so much from guys on here then you do from dealers.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
military 10%

1. Get the Backhoe and Power Beyond now with the John Deere financing.

2. Retired military? Get the John Deere military discount on the bundle.

3. Weighted tires and wheels add weight to the tractor that may be detrimental when mowing. I'm on flat ground and don't want a heavier machine making ruts in my grass. For rear weight with the FEL, I use rear ballast (backhoe or ballast box). Wheel weights can be added or removed. Filled tires are always heavy - even when mowing.

4. Do wait for the implements you want and get the whole bundle with that good financing and your 10% mil discount.

CW4 USA (Ret)

PS; Your​ 1025R controls and seat are more comfortable than the Kubota. Green looks better in a field, too.:greentractorride:
They didn't tell me anything about 10% all I got was $150 credit?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lights?

The Power Beyond kit is short money. Get it. And tell your stupid dealer to load the rear tires like the loader manual tells them needs to be done. LED lights weren't an option for my machine when I bought it but you can find plenty on the Internet for a lot less than Deere wants for their upgrade. Plus, all of the forward-facing lights they sell will shine directly into the backside of your snowblower making them pretty much useless when you need them the most. For under $75 you can buy everything you need to mount LEDs on the ROPS facing both forward and behind you.

And umm.. :wgtt:
:laugh:
I looked on ebay and so some lights but my question would be how to wire them? is there an empty line in the fuse box or do I tap off another line?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,109 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
this is awesome!

Looks like your questions have been answered. Have any more, feel free to ask.

Great place for answer much better then talking to a salemen

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
Plus, all of the forward-facing lights they sell will shine directly into the backside of your snowblower making them pretty much useless when you need them the most.
Perhaps it's time to mention the Artillian horse blinders. These are the Mack-Daddy cure for glare when using forward-facing ROPS-mounted work lights.

The best $27 you will ever spend.

Horse Blinders

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Never heard of them until you mention them.

Perhaps it's time to mention the Artillian horse blinders. These are the Mack-Daddy cure for glare when using forward-facing ROPS-mounted work lights.

The best $27 you will ever spend.

Horse Blinders
I went to the website thanks. I work swing shift and need lights as most of the time it is very dark when I get home and have to snow blow... this will help.

Anything else I should add to my package that would make this an even better machine?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts