Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As a new member here at GTT, i have spent some time looking around the site. I highly suggest you go to the What Did You Do With Your Deere Today forum, go as far back and work your way to the present. Personally I got a significant insight into the capability of the machine, implements, uses, and the crafty ways the members of this board utilize them as well. You are at the right place!

and by the way.... WELCOME!
-Lou

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Now, that is great advise Lou.

:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
721 Posts
As a new member here at GTT, i have spent some time looking around the site. I highly suggest you go to the What Did You Do With Your Deere Today forum, go as far back and work your way to the present. Personally I got a significant insight into the capability of the machine, implements, uses, and the crafty ways the members of this board utilize them as well. You are at the right place!

-Lou
LoneWolf-

The GTT moderators may want to find a new folder for the What Did You Do thread, as it is currently in the SCUT folder. I have a large frame utility Deere (4720); I'd be interested in what folks with medium or large frame machines are doing more so than the small compact crowd.

I haven't seen my beloved Green machine since Thanksgiving, but that will change soon, I hope

Just my two pence' worth,

Brian

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts

·
Administrator
19,014 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,429 Posts
SCUT-- 16 to 19 year olds...think they can do everything.

MCUT-- 20 year olds...learning their limitations.

LCUT-- 21 to 25 year olds...do everything that doesn't take a Large Tractor to do.

LT-- 25 and up year olds...Know their limitations which are few, do everything except what the above are meant to do.

:munch: :greentractorride:

·
Registered
3,012 Posts

-Lou
That thread is virtually inspiring. Many amazing demonstrations of attachment use, ingenuity around size limitation and visionary landscape planning. Very inspiring for me, and good advice from you to have new members take a look.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
LoneWolf-

The GTT moderators may want to find a new folder for the What Did You Do thread, as it is currently in the SCUT folder. I have a large frame utility Deere (4720); I'd be interested in what folks with medium or large frame machines are doing more so than the small compact crowd.

I haven't seen my beloved Green machine since Thanksgiving, but that will change soon, I hope

Just my two pence' worth,

Brian
Brian, There is a thread in the that forum. Hopefully you'll be able to add to it once you get back in the saddle.

·
Registered
80 Posts
New from North Central Ohio

-Lou

Thanks LoneStranger for the great suggestion, I will so that immediately.

I'm a 445 owner, inherited when we bought the 7.5 acre property in 03 and it now has over 2500 hrs. and its headed down hill with the everpresend read end oil leak that gets worse every time the diff lock is used, why JD? Seal replaced four times, no improvement. Enough.

Strongly leaning toward a 1025R before the end of the month for the incentive. Want a MMM and FEL and will carry the 54" snow blade along as it understand it will transfer from the 445 to the 1025R with no modification, same unit sold for both. I need the auto connect deck, I'm disabled with very challenging neck/back/leg issues, I"m a mess. So I need all the help I can get with deck removal issues to sharpen blades. All other manufacturers suggest pushing the tractor and deck up with the front loader and blocking and chocking to assure the lift. That still forces me under the unit with my neck in a very bad position for five herniated discs, no way folks.

With the JD auto deck I can remove it and have a hook welded to the loader to lift deck upright, remove the blades & sharpen then replace, drop the deck with the loader and auto connect. That is my plan anyway. It takes most of the manual effort out of it for me which is a must.

Anyone have any suggestions of find holes in my plan? Any help is welcome as this is a site where JD has expert advice! If I should change strategy I need to know now. Thanks in advance.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,429 Posts

I'm a 445 owner, inherited when we bought the 7.5 acre property in 03 and it now has over 2500 hrs. and its headed down hill with the everpresend read end oil leak that gets worse every time the diff lock is used, why JD? Seal replaced four times, no improvement. Enough.

Strongly leaning toward a 1025R before the end of the month for the incentive. Want a MMM and FEL and will carry the 54" snow blade along as it understand it will transfer from the 445 to the 1025R with no modification, same unit sold for both. I need the auto connect deck, I'm disabled with very challenging neck/back/leg issues, I"m a mess. So I need all the help I can get with deck removal issues to sharpen blades. All other manufacturers suggest pushing the tractor and deck up with the front loader and blocking and chocking to assure the lift. That still forces me under the unit with my neck in a very bad position for five herniated discs, no way folks.

With the JD auto deck I can remove it and have a hook welded to the loader to lift deck upright, remove the blades & sharpen then replace, drop the deck with the loader and auto connect. That is my plan anyway. It takes most of the manual effort out of it for me which is a must.

Anyone have any suggestions of find holes in my plan? Any help is welcome as this is a site where JD has expert advice! If I should change strategy I need to know now. Thanks in advance.
Sounds like you have a good grip on the situation. The auto connect is the best thing ever done on a tractor used to do some mowing. A couple of Kenny's bolt on hooks for the FEL and a few straps and you will be good to go. Good luck! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts

You've got the right idea, now I think you may want to assess the new 2 series also, as their autoconnect might be improved over the 1 series. Also you my consider that a 2 series may be a better fit for your property.

Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks

You've got the right idea, now I think you may want to assess the new 2 series also, as their autoconnect might be improved over the 1 series. Also you my consider that a 2 series may be a better fit for your property.

Just a suggestion.
Surprisingly I did ask that question of my sales rep, at two JD dealers. One didn't seem interested and the other said the 1 series should be fine for my use including the up-charge for a 2 series was significant considering my financial constraints. He originally suggested a Ventrac with dual wheels providing the "poor man's suspension" by a very low tire inflation pressure. He was very committed to that avenue but I told him it was not in the cards dollar wise so we move on. Plus I must have the auto connect as my neck/back won't endure any more PTO connections under the tractor, I mean NONE. Unfortunately my condition digresses each year and I need all the comfort possible, thus the 1025R. Even my wife (thrifty) said I needed the JD over a Kubota after she sat on both and we discussed the pros and cons of each. She generally would pick the lower price but she is interested in quality and mostly she wants me to be able to use it. Mowing over six acres is a lot of bouncing around for me.

Do you think the 2 series is better due to size and ride or just bigger and stronger?

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Both. The larger tires will ride better over rough terrain in addition to the tractor having more mass and wheelbase to absorb shock.

When the dealer was discouraging a 2 series, did he have any on the lot? I suspect the one series was better because he probably had a bunch more of them that he needed to move.

·
Registered
80 Posts
yes

Both. The larger tires will ride better over rough terrain in addition to the tractor having more mass and wheelbase to absorb shock.

When the dealer was discouraging a 2 series, did he have any on the lot? I suspect the one series was better because he probably had a bunch more of them that he needed to move.
Yes, he admitted they purchased 50 1025R's and were not selling them as anticipated due to a two month drought in mowing season. But, I came to appreciate this man and would be surprised if moving product was the case and they had 2 series on the lot too. I now wonder what the price difference actually might be. I can't seem to find anything on them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is there a member map or way to search for members geographically? I thought this might help if local people wanted to help each other out or even borrow an implement. Obviously they would do this kind of think at their own risk etc.

·
Administrator
19,014 Posts
Is there a member map or way to search for members geographically? I thought this might help if local people wanted to help each other out or even borrow an implement. Obviously they would do this kind of think at their own risk etc.
No sir, there is not.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts