Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, folks. I have a 212 with mower deck, snow thrower, and front blade.

I have a question about the mower deck, and I'll ask it here while simultaneously searching for an answer in the archives. How many different models of 38" decks did Deere put out for the 212? I ask because I purchased a grass bagger for mine, but the tube doesn't fit the discharge chute. I'm pretty sure the guy who sold it to me had a 38" deck, but mine (H039) has only a wheel on the trailing edge of the deck, and a metal band in a loop in front of the discharge chute, while his has a wheel in front of the chute and no metal loop.

Any help is appreciated, as I'm figuring out my options on making this work.

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Welcome to DT!

If you can get us some pictures of what you have we can help better, the S/N of the tractor and deck will help also.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I think the only 38 inch decks with the metal loop skid were for the 110-112 models. Possily someone retrofitted one of those, or you could have a 39 inch deck. The 39 inch for 200 series used the metal loop design skid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the only 38 inch decks with the metal loop skid were for the 110-112 models. Possily someone retrofitted one of those, or you could have a 39 inch deck. The 39 inch for 200 series used the metal loop design skid.
Sorry for the confusion on my part; part of that is because Deere calls them 38" decks sometimes, but lists them with part numbers with 39 in them (cf. the 46/47" decks). Looking online, I believe I have an H039 deck (it definitely has 3 spindles). Here are photos of each side of the deck (sorry about the dim light); note the wheels only on the trailing edge of the deck.

Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive wheel system Automotive tire
Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Vehicle Car

What I believe I'm looking for is a 0664M deck (or maybe 0663 or 0665). That's speculation based on the scanty info I can find. If someone has a black belt in navigating jdparts.com, and can teach me how to find what attachments are compatible with a 212, I'd be forever in your debt.

My tractor S/N is 080275, making it a '78. I think Deere went from the 3-spindle deck to the 2-spindle deck in the early 80's. The prior owner painted over the deck, so I'm not sure where to look for the S/N on that.

Any confirmation or repudiation of what I think I've learned is welcome. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FYI, here is a photo of the tractor that the bagger came off of. This is a 39" deck, but the guy who sold me the bagger has since sold the tractor so I can't get the deck info from him.

Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Lawn Agricultural machinery

·
Registered
2 Posts
JD212 Mower Belt

I could use some help.

I have a John Deere 212 ID#M00212X362023, with mower deck ser#M00673X538711.

I bought it used last year and have had it to the JD shop three times for a broken mower deck belt.

I don't believe they are either putting the belt on correctly or they are putting the wrong belt on.

I can't get a clear answer on what is the correct belt to use or a very good diagram for installing the belt.

Can you provide any help?

·
Super Moderator
2,769 Posts
Are you asking about the blade to blade belt or the pto to deck belt?

The first picture shows how the pto to deck belt is routed.

The second picture shows how the blade to blade belt is routed.

The pto to deck belt is part number M47765 (84.40 inches) and the blade to blade belt is M41960.

Check here: http://www.keepingitgreen.com/Products-By-Model/44/212.aspx

Attachments

Reactions: Frustration Green

·
Registered
280 Posts
yes there is a trick.

remove the spring from the idler pulley and swing the pulley so you can put it around the pulleys, then when the belt is on, use a 3 or 4 ft of string that is kinda thick and tie a not around the end (the one that is off the spring holder) and pull end of the spring and put the spring where it used to go. then it should be good

Reactions: Frustration Green
1 - 10 of 10 Posts