Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Recently bought an old JD model 70 skid steer to use around the house and barn - previous owners did zero maintenance so I gave it a complete tune up, oil/filter change, new air cleaner/fuel filter etc. The manual I bought said to change the hydraulic filters (2) by removing old and installing new which I did then topped off the hydraulic fluid and now I have no Hydraulics!! Can't move bucket up or down or tilt and no forward or reverse. I let the tractor run for quite a while but still nothing. When I hold the boom/bucket foot petals in the back (up) position I get forward/reverse.

Any idea of what I did wrong??? Thanks in advance for any help/info you can provide.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
:wgtt:from the Mitten.

I would say you have air in the system. There wasn’t a shut off for the hydraulics that you turn off when you replaced the filters? Not real familiar with those machines so just quessing. Someone on here will know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not shutoff and manual just said unscrew old filters and install new, no other instructions, had all hydraulic functions before filter change.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Don't own one but I'm always curious about things I know nothing about.

My search led to:

JD didn't make them . Mustang is the maker.

Some use atf type F fluid....hydro fluid is too thin.

Some have somesort of drive belt to pump which may have departed.

Pull the filters and fill them with the proper fluid whatever that is .
Cycle all functions let sit for a bit and try again.

I did stumble on "the skidsteer forum"

You may try digging through that.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Welcome from central Ohio :wgtt:

The only dumb question is the unasked question. Someone will probably figure it out for you. I would repost your question in another forum such as, Hydraulics, Tractor and Equipment Maintainance or Construction Equipment.

Good luck and welcome.:good2:

·
Super Moderator
5,490 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
I blew a hose once on my mini ex. It got cut on a piece of metal while pushing debris into a dumpster. I went and had a replacement hose made and installed it, started it up but had no lift. Started to freak out so I called the bobcat dealer and he said to keep cycling the cylinder. It took a few cycles but eventually purged the air out itself. You probably have a bunch of air in ALL of your line's so I would try moving the joystick in several directions, forcing the air out and eventually the air will purge.

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
Did you pre fill the filters? This helps avoid airlock, and some filters won’t flow anything if airlocked. The media needs to be wetted to function. This isn’t every filter, but it does happen. We had some at a previous job that we soaked for 24 hours to eliminate that issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts