Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Just wanted to introduce myself. I just signed up for this forum. I've been on MTF for a long time but just stumbled onto this site...VERY NICE!!!
Anyways, Here's my "hobby"... or maybe my...obsession!!! It's a 1987 316 (and generic cart I cloned into a JD).
When I got the 316 it was cosmetically pretty rough, but mechanically the PO took AWESOME CARE of it!

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Welcome to DT! You did yourself proud. :good2: Got any resto pics?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a couple...got too involved to stop!

Here she is when I bought her:

Footrest area rusted out:

Footrest and fender area ground down:

1/2 done:

The deck was rusted though and pretty much SHOT when I got it so I found a solid shell on CL and restored that one so the deck is now very nice. I also added a TriCycler mulching kit. After I added that I realized that there is a MAJOR design flaw with the kit in that when you mow with the kit installed it shoots debris (a LOT OF IT!!!) out the front of the deck. When this occurs the operator gets COVERED by debris in seconds....especially in disty/dirty conditions. My solution: Install a rubber garage door seal on the bottom of the deck. I drilled holes along the bottom of the deck and added the seal/strip. The result is that debris getting shot out of the front of the deck is almost completely eliminated!!! Its now a mean mulching machine!

All in all it was wayyyyyyy more work than I imagined but worth every second!

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
All in all it was wayyyyyyy more work than I imagined but worth every second!
Most projects are:laugh:

I love the exhaust stack-great job:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Very nice looking 316.:good2:

Greg

·
Registered
278 Posts
Welcome creekhed! Glad to see another 300 series owner on the forum. I just got my first 332 and I'm already seeing how addictive these fine machines can become! :good2: Thanks for all the pictures.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Thank you Creekhed. Now that is a well told story. Not like the wordy ones some guys post. :mocking:

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Nice machine, great pix!

My 318 has similar wear patterns where your feet go. Fortunately, it's parked inside so it bare metal and not rust. By the end of the season, it looks pretty scruffy but it cleans up good. The seat is cracked, so I put a JD seat cover on it (cheaper than a new seat and I'm a cheapskate).

Here's a picture of my machine since everyone likes pictures. I didn't put the front grill on it, guess I'm a lazy cheapskate to boot :laugh:.

Got a new mower deck 2 years ago, the old one was beat up and worn out. Dealer had an old deck left (brand new) so I lucked out.

Pete

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts