Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone- new member here from DFW area. Been lurking on this site for 6 months or so, but this is my first post- looking for some help

Tldr version: I have a 2 acre yard that has lots of overgrown trees and brush. I want to majorly thin things out and down the road plant more grass and trees of my choosing. Which tractor do I need, and what implements to get right off the bat?

We just moved to hopefully our "forever" property in North Texas. It's on 2 acres, and the prior home owners basically ignored the yard for 30 years. When you combine that with the deep freeze last winter, we have lots of overgrown, dead, and just ugly vegetation in our yard. My plan is to cut a lot of it down and start fresh with trees and shrubs that I like. I'll still keep some of the healthy, mature trees.

See pics- we have at least 100 half dead photinias that are 20' tall or so. Those will need to come down and be taken to the curb where the city does brush pickup every week. Original owners planted trees way too close together so there are also several mature trees that will need to come down. Also live oaks and red oaks that haven't been trimmed in likely 20+ years, will need to trim those and dispose of the brush. Once all of this is thinned out, more grass can takeover, then I'll plant new trees/shrubs but that's likely a few years out.

If I'm gonna do this all myself I'm pretty convinced I'll need a tractor, the question is which one? And what implements to buy off the bat? I was thinking 1025R with loader, pallet forks, and grapple for starters. I do not need a mower deck- I have a ZT for mowing. One thing I'm wondering is the need for the backhoe, specifically to deal with all the stumps of the photinias that will be left behind. I want grass to take over that area eventually.

My budget is not unlimited. I do not currently have storage for the tractor, was thinking I can set up something temporary as we are building a new detached garage in the next 1-2 years which will have dedicated tractor space. And finally I'll add that I've never managed a machine this large and a lot of it will be completely new to me. Happy to learn as I go.

Thanks.
Plant Natural landscape Tree Grass Cloud

Cloud Plant Road surface Natural landscape Water

Cloud Plant Sky Natural landscape Twig

Plant Sky Cloud Plant community Natural landscape

Plant Sky Natural landscape Tree Grass

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,829 Posts
Welcome to GTT

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
3,091 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Welcome. I too am in North Texas. That February freeze did do some damage. Good luck with your new place.

·
Premium Member
3,854 Posts
Welcome to GTT from SE PA! You didn't mention a budget... So I say a 5125R. ok, kidding. Assuming modest budget that understands tractors arn't cheap - A 1025R will do pretty much all you're asking for. A 2032/8R will do it all as well, likely significantly faster (buts it's much more expensive). The 2025R is somewhere in the middle, and if grinding stumps verses digging them out is the goal - I'd likely start at 2 series for the additional 3pt capacity.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I could get most of that done without a tractor. Ive cut and piled acres of trees and brush on my place without the aid of a tractor. Id get a good chainsaw, get the family to help, and start working. Rent a stump grinder for a weekend when you have enough stumps.

Now if you got money burning a hole in your pocket, and want one, then spend 30k on a tractor but you sure dont need one for that weak 2 acre job.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could do it without a tractor. Unfortunately my property is very long and narrow...dragging limbs from the back corner of my yard to the curb out front is pretty back-breaking stuff. I know bc I've done some of it already. I'm considering getting a tractor bc using one would make all those things easier and more efficient.

Having said that part of the reason I posted this is to get a reality check. Sometimes I get tunnel vision, and I've been thinking about a tractor for a while now...

·
Premium Member
10,339 Posts
Welcome to GTT

Reactions: Uncle Wayne

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Welcome from central Wisconsin.

Reactions: Uncle Wayne

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
You will enjoy a small tractor, and should do fine with a 1-series or 2-series, depending on your budget.

As you'll be doing a lot of tree work the grapple you mention is a great idea. It's wonderful that your city will pick up and haul off all the debris. If you have not already, spend some money on chain saw protective equipment like chaps, real saw protection gloves, and a face shield - and use them. An ER visit for sutures is expensive. By comparison, prevention is cheap.

And don't forget the ballast box, filled tires, suitcase weights or other ballast choices appropriate for the loader/grapple work you plan.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Welcome to GTT from Central Texas.

When I bought my house, the property had lots of overgrown trees and about 4 acres of wooded area needing attention. The previous homeowners ignored the property for 20 years. After the last winter storm, things got worse. Lots of dead trees all over. I started moving tree branches by hand and used my old X300 to drag them around. It got old very quickly. I have a bad back and after few weeks of intense pain, I decided to buy a tractor.

I was set on a 2025R but end up getting the 2038R. I love my 2038R and now I move trees without leaving the tractor seat with the grapple.

Even with a few more acres, the 2025R could do everything that I need on my property. I think a 1025R or a 2025R can do everything you need on 2 acres.

Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Welcome to Gtt from the Mitten

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Another Welcome from Tennessee. I'm a L&G guy, so I can't recommend a tractor, but I will saw use a stump grinder for your trees! A ball park figure is that roots extend just outside the branches/leaves. This means if your tree is 20' in diameter, you'll need a 20' diameter hole to get most of the roots. THIS means your driveway and the green fence is destroyed! Bob

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Welcome from SCentral NY! Lots of decisions to be made. If set on a 1025R and not jumping to the large 2 series (2032R-2038R) $$ may want to consider a 2025R for the ground clearance if doing brush and and woods work for only a small jump in cost, ask me how I know!
Good luck with the decision. Lots of great folks here to help with questions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lots of good info here. I'll take another look at the 2025R- esp since getting a stump grinder vs a backhoe would save me nearly 5k! I was impressed with how the Baumalight handled those big stumps!

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
Welcome from Central Ohio

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.