Green Tractor Talk banner

Should GTT add a new "Member's Only" forum?

• Yes. I'd like to have and use a "Member's Only" password protected forum

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • No. I don't want it or see the need for a new "Member's Only" forum.

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • I don't care, either way is fine for me.

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Sure, but I would never use it.

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Members Only

Has there been any discussion about a Members Only forum? I envision a forum where I could post images and disclose information that could only be viewed by registered members, but which wouldn't be indexed by search engine bots or seen by casual visitors to the site. Maybe something similar to the Political or Guns forums? Automatic authentication with a member's name and password would be ideal, but a publicly disclosed password would be better than nothing.

I see the negatives of setting it up and not having the content indexed. The benefit would the posting of information that members would not otherwise post due to privacy concerns. I understand that nothing posted to the Internet is ever truly private, but password limited exposure trumps posting to an open forum.

I'm not saying that I would post nude photos of myself:bad:, but I might post somewhat private / personal information that I wish to share with other members and Russian Hackers, but not with the entire world.

Thoughts?

·
Administrator
20,152 Posts
Would the members use it?

While the staff isn't against this idea, we don't want to create a bunch of forums and make the site unusable and crazy hard to find stuff. We strive to find a good balance between what's usable and too much. We don't want forums with only a few threads per year. This just adds to confusion and loss.

But if the members want it, well, maybe we can make it happen.

First off, let's hear from you, the members of you would want and use this new "members only" forum.

Lastly, please realize I'm not making any promises about this. And a new forum will still have to follow the rules as this is a family friendly forum.

What do y'all say? Would you use it? Do you want it?

·
Registered
95 Posts
No. I found (and became a member) of GTT just by surfing the web looking for tips about my 1025R. I learned many things by just browsing the posts and that's what convinced me to join. Had it been a private site I probably would not have joined.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I would say yes. I'm on another forum that is aviation related that isn't even listed when you search on google.

I share things there and we are like family. Have meet ups and get togethers and it's like we already know each other.

Within that forum there is a thread called "last" everyone there is basically extended family. We share a lot of things with each other and help with advice on just about anything. Sometime it's nice to have an off the road place.

If any pilot type people are Interested pm me and I'll send you the URL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm unclear about the upsides. A potential downside is that GTT needs to keep away from seeming like an "insiders club". A few other forums that I have participated in have seemed to degenerate to a handful of members generating most posts. I leave as the information circle gets smaller and smaller.

·
Corndog Hater
10,956 Posts
My initial thought is "No", I wouldn't use it. If I feel the need to share stuff outside of the regular forum, I use a PM. Beyond that, a phone call or even a text works for me, and I have done that. FWIW I have never visited or even tried to visit the political and gun section.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
My initial thought is "No", I wouldn't use it. If I feel the need to share stuff outside of the regular forum, I use a PM. Beyond that, a phone call or even a text works for me, and I have done that. FWIW I have never visited or even tried to visit the political and gun section.

I agree....if its "too" personal ,use PM.
Otherwise..post it in the Gun or Political section and that filters it to those who choose to go there.

Mr. Park....you should check out those 2 sections. Nothing crazy going on and some topics kinda intertwine with the others here. Took me quite a while to figure out the system but all is good and simple now.

Dan in Oregon

·
Registered
468 Posts
No. I found (and became a member) of GTT just by surfing the web looking for tips about my 1025R. I learned many things by just browsing the posts and that's what convinced me to join. Had it been a private site I probably would not have joined.
I agree with you, I found this site in the same manor. Leave the site the way it currently is.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I'd have to say no, I am like others who originally found the site by searching for info for my tractor. While I have found that here (and much more), I like the way the "other" topics are handled now, such as Political and Guns. If enough people wanted a "Members Only" forum would not bother me but I would not use it.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
GTT isn't broken

Leave the GTT site alone. It is not in need of a fracture.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Clarification is needed. I'm not suggesting that the entire GTT site be members only. I, like many of you, found the site by searching and it would not serve any purpose to change that. I am suggesting that a single forum within the site be limited to members. That would allow members to post information photos and they wish to share only with other members, but not with the search engines or general public.

I don't want google to index images of me, my family or friends, nor do I want personal information such as my address or other personal information known to the general public.

I have many tractor related photos I have not posted, as persons in those photos feel the same as I. I'm still uncomfortable with a couple photos I have posted of family members and with a video I posted that displays GPS data.

I don't believe that a non-searchable image of my granddaughter sitting on my 1025r would be detrimental to GTT. Quite a few interior photos of a friends shop are relevant to topics discussed on the site, but I won't post them in an open forum for the reasons mentioned.

Maybe I'm paranoid? I think I'm simply cautious. As nuts as I may seem for withholding information, I think people are crazy for posting certain information. And yes, I realize I am in a minority on this. I do not use Facebook or any other social media for the same reasons.

Dieselshadow - You get it. I don't know if members would use the forum. I don't even know if I would use it! But, it would be nice to have that option.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree....if its "too" personal ,use PM.
Otherwise..post it in the Gun or Political section and that filters it to those who choose to go there.

Mr. Park....you should check out those 2 sections. Nothing crazy going on and some topics kinda intertwine with the others here. Took me quite a while to figure out the system but all is good and simple now.

Dan in Oregon
Good post! You've made a good point. I visit those two forums routinely. But, I wouldn't post photos of my firearms there --- if I owned any --- as that information is too personal as far as I am concerned. How I defend myself and family isn't for the Internet to know. I've thought of posting hunting photos, but I just can't bring myself to do it, as it feels like I would be violating the trust of those friends in the photos.

I guess I am way too paranoid to fully appreciate the Internet.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm unclear about the upsides. A potential downside is that GTT needs to keep away from seeming like an "insiders club". A few other forums that I have participated in have seemed to degenerate to a handful of members generating most posts. I leave as the information circle gets smaller and smaller.
Leave the GTT site alone. It is not in need of a fracture.
I hope my previous posts explain the upside from where I sit and I agree that GTT is very good the way it is. Could it be better? I don't know.

After reading some of these posts and writing replies, I have somewhat changed my opinion of a member's only forum. I still think it would be of value, but I probably wouldn't post any information in it that I wouldn't post in an open forum.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I like things the way it is.

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
I like things the way it is.
i kinda have to agree with u-drifterbike. this place has saved me loads of this stuff:gizmo: since i found it now almost 5yrs ago. just read a lot till i finally joined then. these fellas has opened my eyes, my brain, and well u get it.:laugh:

they also, says my wife, caused me to spend lots of this :gizmo:but hey i tell her, i'm not gonna take it with me, either.:mocking:
i like spending my time here too, since i got sick, and had problems yrs ago, so this place has been very kind to me that way. and i thank them(GTT) for that. lots of tips here, that a fella wouldn't here or know otherwise. for this-thanks!:good2::munch:

·
Corndog Hater
10,956 Posts
Clarification is needed. I'm not suggesting that the entire GTT site be members only. I, like many of you, found the site by searching and it would not serve any purpose to change that. I am suggesting that a single forum within the site be limited to members. That would allow members to post information photos and they wish to share only with other members, but not with the search engines or general public.

I don't want google to index images of me, my family or friends, nor do I want personal information such as my address or other personal information known to the general public.

I have many tractor related photos I have not posted, as persons in those photos feel the same as I. I'm still uncomfortable with a couple photos I have posted of family members and with a video I posted that displays GPS data.

I don't believe that a non-searchable image of my granddaughter sitting on my 1025r would be detrimental to GTT. Quite a few interior photos of a friends shop are relevant to topics discussed on the site, but I won't post them in an open forum for the reasons mentioned.

Maybe I'm paranoid? I think I'm simply cautious. As nuts as I may seem for withholding information, I think people are crazy for posting certain information. And yes, I realize I am in a minority on this. I do not use Facebook or any other social media for the same reasons.
First off, no you are not paranoid. I totally get what you're saying. I do have a Facebook account but rarely log in. With that said, I crop or edit almost every pic that I post, to make sure there is no personal "stuff" in them. I may post quite a few pics, but there are almost twice as many photo ops I pass up because I wouldn't be able to edit the personal "stuff" out. My pics of my weather station readings and forecast give my location and the personal name of our station, I always crop that out. I posted a pic of our Christmas tree, and cropped the side of the tree that showed a picture we had hanging on the wall. And as for pics of my kids, sorry, no way. I share a lot, but choose to be selective (except for sandwiches, apparently), which is the biggest problem with Facebook, in my opinion.

I am no internet expert, and maybe I still post more than I should, but you do need to live your life how you please and do things you enjoy. And I enjoy GTT.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
i kinda have to agree with u-drifterbike. this place has saved me loads of this stuff:gizmo: since i found it now almost 5yrs ago. just read a lot till i finally joined then. these fellas has opened my eyes, my brain, and well u get it.:laugh::
I must be using the site wrong. This place has spent more of my money than I care to mention. :laugh:
I totally agree. I am always seeing things to spend money on.

I like GTT as it is.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts