Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I saw the new 2020 Corvette on display at Coughlin Chevrolet in Pataskala, Ohio. It was brought in by GM for a one day only display. WOW, was my first reaction, however, it was so crowded that I really couldn't take it all in. When I first stopped in, there must have been 200 to 300 people on the showroom floor, so I went back for a second look later in the afternoon. WOW, was my reaction again.

I personally think it's a game changer for the Corvette. Some purists are going to be upset with the switch to mid engine, but GM has extracted everything they could from the front engine platform. If you don't like it, there are still plenty front engine 2019's left on the dealer lots to be had.

Time to move on. This is a vehicle that will compete with the high dollar exotics at less than one third to one half the price. Can't wait for the Grand Sport, ZO6 and ZR1 variants. :gizmo:

What do you guys and gals think?

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
I suppose if someone parked one in my driveway and handed me the keys I'd drive it. I've always been a car guy but mostly Mopars, but Corvettes have peaked my interest lately. My wife always liked ragtops and I've thought about picking a used one up when we retire in about 7 months.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,423 Posts
Either going to be a big leap forward for the Vette or a big leap off the cliff. :dunno:

Years ago down here you'd see some Vettes rolling around, not so much lately.

Mustangs are all over the place. :dunno:

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
It's definitely a sharp Corvette, I was wondering on the wording "mid engine", thought maybe it sat right in the passenger seat. :laugh: But I see a little trunk space there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Love it!

They would sell more in JD green with yellow wheels!
Love that mid-engine. I had a '72 De Tomaso Pantera that was a ticket magnet, even parked.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I never could justify a two seater car and the price for new has been out of my league for many many moons. For my mid-life crisis, I bought a new 2003 supercharged Mustang Cobra. I kept it for about 5 years and moved on.

·
Registered
487 Posts
They would sell more in JD green with yellow wheels!
Love that mid-engine. I had a '72 De Tomaso Pantera that was a ticket magnet, even parked.
I always loved the Pantera.

My older brother bought a new Fiat X1/9 in '74. It was also midengined.
Car drove like a go cart.

GM is behind the curve again, Midengined sorts cars have been economical and around for over 40 years.

No reason any serious sports car wouldn't be midengined.

Other than GM's being late to the dance again it looks to be a really top notch sports car. If your inclined to like sports cars you'd be foolish to not at least look at one.

I think there has been a lot of hesitance on GM's part to do anything to radically change the Vet. Even if its for the better.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car still has a lot of the angular similarities of the C7, but unlike prior generations where the front end was long and the rear end short, it is exactly the opposite. Sitting in the car you can actually see over the short hood. The engine as you know, sits behind the driver and passenger, but is still in front of the rear axle. This thing is going to be a beast on the track. :lovetongue:

·
Administrator
17,316 Posts
I like it...I've been getting interested in Corvettes too that last few months...

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I have a friend that just bought a 2019 Corvette top of the line (what ever the one that looks like plane is) that is normally $100k for $80k*. Evidently they are giving really good deals on 2019s because nobody wants them.

*I do not know enough about Corvettes to validate the legitimacy of this story. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I keep telling my bride I need an adult size toy box....60' x 100'....with room to add on. She once stated maybe I should sell some things. I made a cross with fingers and yelled blasphemer! This was while I was looking for the silver bullets, garlic, and wood stakes. I was over reacting. A simple exorcism dispelled the demon that had possessed her and she doesn't have to sleep in her car any longer.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,423 Posts
A lot of cars that I thought I could never afford and not that bad for price now. You can get into a Viper for pretty reasonable amount of money now and C6 and even some C7 Vettes can be had in the 25k to 30k range now.
I have a friend that just bought a 2019 Corvette top of the line (what ever the one that looks like plane is) that is normally $100k for $80k*. Evidently they are giving really good deals on 2019s because nobody wants them.

*I do not know enough about Corvettes to validate the legitimacy of this story. :laugh:
Have a buddy who is a few years older than me, had a Vette in his youth.

Made a great deal on a used one, owned by the daughter of the dealership owner (she gets a new one every year or two, it's
obviously good to be the daughter of the dealership owner :laugh:).

He kept it 3 years and sold it, said he wasn't hardly driving it a year after the initial purchase plus it didn't make him any younger. :laugh:

He now drives a big Lincoln Navigator with a 6 cylinder . :dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
246 Posts
I like this car. I’ve heard some purists are upset, but I do think this had to be done from a performance standpoint. I also think this would bring some separation between corvette and Camaro since Camaro has gotten to be so small. It’s basically a 2 seater these days. My 14 can almost fit people in back, but the 16+ you’d have to amputate legs to fit back there. Too bad they’re canceling the Camaro... I wouldn’t mind trading mine for a Challenger, but it’s paid off and I bought my Deere so can’t afford a new car.

Maybe someday I’ll buy a vette, but by then it will drive itself so what’ll be the point? My biggest gripe against this vette is no manual transmission. My buddy just bought a 17 grandsport and it’s an automatic, barely even a sports car IMHO...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
My Neighbor at our Car condo Just Ordered a new Mid engine Corvette I think It will start Being Built Next spring some Time My Older Brother Is Going to wait until 2021 Models Come Out or the 2022 Models. Just to wait Until GM gets all the Bugs worked Out. He Currently has a 2017 Grand Sport. So He Just add the New One to His collection. He Just ordered a a New Toyota Supra He collects Cars the way I collect Garden tractors. My collection is still cheaper:laugh:

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
What do you guys and gals think?
I think that you're going to be saying bye-bye to the Shelby!! :laugh:

I like it...I've been getting interested in Corvettes too that last few months...
I can see see you thinking... "hmmm, how many bolt on hooks do I have to sell to be driving a new 'Vette..." :laugh:

That is a pretty sharp car!

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
It's definitely a sharp Corvette, I was wondering on the wording "mid engine", thought maybe it sat right in the passenger seat. :laugh: But I see a little trunk space there.
Yep, it has a Fiero trunk. At least they didn't put the Fiero engine in it as well.

Wonder what it has for front storage?

My parents have had a few Corvettes and they always avoided the convertible version because of the lack in trunk space. Not that they do many road trips but they bring chairs and other things from time to time to some of the Corvette events that their club has and have a couple overnight trips a year.

·
Registered
495 Posts
jimmy - I'll turn 60 at the end of this current trip around the sun. Any idea of when my mid-life crisis will begin?

Brian

I never could justify a two seater car and the price for new has been out of my league for many many moons. For my mid-life crisis, I bought a new 2003 supercharged Mustang Cobra. I kept it for about 5 years and moved on.

·
Registered
649 Posts
jimmy - I'll turn 60 at the end of this current trip around the sun. Any idea of when my mid-life crisis will begin?

Brian
I don't know, I had mine in my early 50's. :kidw_truck_smiley:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts