Green Tractor Talk banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I'm just the opposite. If it isn't at least 400hp, I'm not interested. I did the soccer mom thing in 7 minivan over 20 years. It is sooo nice to be able to pass an idiot.
I used to be this way but guess I finally aged out of it. I owned several Vettes in my younger days and many of the muscle cars, but nowadays I prefer comfort over speed and a truck over a car. Good thing about it is I never had to have a mid-life crisis, maybe I had an early-life crisis. :laugh:

I still like to look at nice cars and really like the looks of this new Vette, but I have no desire to own one. The roofline on all cars is so low these days with the windshield more horizontal every year that it is very uncomfortable for me to have to bend my head down so low to get under the door opening that it's just not worth it. But I hope this is a winner for GM.

·
Registered
508 Posts
jimmy - I remember friends dealing with the crisis: They returned from their annual home leaves (usually 30 days or so when I lived and worked overseas) sporting new or additional tattoos and photos of them astride their new Harleys. I never had a strong desire for either, and my wife has frowned upon me seeking a younger girlfriend, for some reason.

Brian

I don't know, I had mine in my early 50's. :kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Wives are like that

jimmy - I remember friends dealing with the crisis: They returned from their annual home leaves (usually 30 days or so when I lived and worked overseas) sporting new or additional tattoos and photos of them astride their new Harleys. I never had a strong desire for either, and my wife has frowned upon me seeking a younger girlfriend, for some reason.

Brian
LOL, I think most wives share the opinion that younger girl friends are not allowed. I suppose if it wasn't that way, you might wonder if they really cared. :dunno: In spite of being married over 35 years, I still don't always know what my wife is thinking but I'm pretty darned sure another woman wouldn't be allowed. :flag_of_truce:

Treefarmer

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
LOL, I think most wives share the opinion that younger girl friends are not allowed. I suppose if it wasn't that way, you might wonder if they really cared. :dunno: In spite of being married over 35 years, I still don't always know what my wife is thinking but I'm pretty darned sure another woman wouldn't be allowed. :flag_of_truce:

Treefarmer
I would bet you are 100% correct.

I wouldn't want another woman.....Mine never complains, let me do whatever I want, she takes great care of me and we have lived and worked together every day for 35 plus years. I make sure to bring her flowers at least once a week and do special things for her all the time. Few things women like less than feeling ignored or that they are taken for granted. Younger girlfriends are one of the few things......

Take one look around out there at all of the "trouble" looking to latch onto someone else to support them and their broods. It's an emotional and financial minefield out there (not to mention the STD's, hepatitis and you name it out there) and flashy new sports cars make you a target for some of the "marital terrorists" working the field.......My wife will point out some young thing from time and time and say "I can just imagine you trying to have an intelligent conversation with her for more than 90 seconds and then she laughs." Yep, she knows me........

An acquaintance just had another kid at his age 53. Ironically, his "girlfriend", who is 20 years younger was holding their newborn while they were attending his oldest daughters high school graduation in a recent photo. NO THANK YOU........As he is paying for 4 years of college for his oldest daughter, he will be raising another for the next 22 plus years.

I told him "just think, you will be 75 years old when this one might graduate from college, unless she takes the now common 6 year plan for the BA degree...." Watching him deal with car seats, dirty diapers and a screaming brat at this stage in life, there ain't no how and no way I want ANY part of that..................

Those are the realities of mid life crisis, younger girlfriends and "Round 2". Based upon his reaction, I don't think this relationship will be any more successful than his first couple of wives were........

No thanks. Every time he splits assets and starts over, he insists "this time will be different" but it sure doesn't appear it has been and will be. His first wife was a keeper and I told him that when they were having trouble, now she has moved on and wouldn't put up with his nonsense.

There are many out there "trolling" for someone to support them and their existing baggage. A successful neighbor who owns his own company lost his wife suddenly a couple of years ago and he quickly remarried. Suddenly, the new reality for him is he is raising his new wife's two grand kids who are middle school age. I asked him one day if he was happy and he said, with a shrug, "I guess its better than being alone".........Not exactly a ringing endorsement. :hide:

Just remember, the grass is always greener, right over the septic tank.............:laugh::lol:

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I had recently replaced my 27 year old sporty car with an 08 Vette w/ 20k miles on it.
I had only once, when I was 20 years old and saw a Vette in a car lot with a 427 in it, thought about buying one.
Never really wanted one, didn't really know much about their construction.

I have to say the one I got is a much better car than I thought they were, many very elegant suspension and drivetrain component solutions.
I enjoy taking it to work and back in the warm months, country drives and if I'm lucky maybe an occasional vacation trip.
No longer interested in street racing or track days.

I have watched many videos and read many articles concerning the C8.
I consider it an engineering Tour de force.
While I find the exterior extremely busy for my taste it appears every visible duct has a very well executed and definitive purpose.

I would love to own one at least for a few years before flipping it but I have already blown way more cash on my current Superduty - Corvette transportation plan than any sane person of normal means would allot.

Not feeling like life goes on much longer so I TRY and have some joy while I can, and I do love driving well made machines of all varieties.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I never could justify a two seater car and the price for new has been out of my league for many many moons. For my mid-life crisis, I bought a new 2003 supercharged Mustang Cobra. I kept it for about 5 years and moved on.
Terminator FTW!

I bought mine in 06. Very fun cars.

I bought a very low mileage 02 Camaro SS in 2015. Maybe that was my midlife crisis car? :unknown:

As for the new Vette. I like it. Probably one of the contributing factors as to why I like it is because I don't like C7's. C7's look like some scientist trying to play god spliced a C6 Vette with a Lamborghini Gallardo and it looks like a budget, wannabe exotic. I am anxious to see how the GS/Z06/ZR1 variants look though.

Still to this day I say C6 Z06 FTW. When they came out they had a way of embarrassing TS Terminators even when they were stock. This is back in 06/07. It was like how does a stock Vette run with or pull on a 600 WHP Mudstain?

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I never was into sport cars as they are pretty much useless except fo a few weeks in the summer. Can’t see owning a vehicle that can’t handle 6” of snow. Most folks that have vets , or other rear wheel drive sporty cars put them in storage for the winter only using them June -September.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I never was into sport cars as they are pretty much useless except fo a few weeks in the summer. Can’t see owning a vehicle that can’t handle 6” of snow. Most folks that have vets , or other rear wheel drive sporty cars put them in storage for the winter only using them June -September.

I store mine in the garage, but I drive from the first day in Spring that I can get out the gravel driveway without a problem, until the first or second snowfall..... April to sometime in November.... give or take.

To make this Deere related.. convertible season matches mower deck season... or just the opposite of front mounted snow blower season.:laugh:

DSCF9641.JPG

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I store mine in the garage, but I drive from the first day in Spring that I can get out the gravel driveway without a problem, until the first or second snowfall..... April to sometime in November.... give or take.

To make this Deere related.. convertible season matches mower deck season... or just the opposite of front mounted snow blower season.:laugh:

View attachment 705226
As most know from my prior posts, I've had my share of sports cars. I drive them April or May thru October or November before they get stored for the winter. I get a lot of enjoyment cruising in them for 6 to 7 months out of the year. :shift:

Both your toys (Vette and motorcycle) match John Deere colors. I like it. Is that a C6 under the covers? :thumbup1gif:

Attachments

·
Registered
745 Posts
As most know from my prior posts, I've had my share of sports cars. I drive them April or May thru October or November before they get stored for the winter. I get a lot of enjoyment cruising in them for 6 to 7 months out of the year. :shift:

Both your toys (Vette and motorcycle) match John Deere colors. I like it. Is that a C6 under the covers? :thumbup1gif:

It is.....

DSCF9553 - Copy.JPG

2007, Velocity Yellow, auto, 3lt trim package, now with 54,000 miles. It was a garage queen when I got it, but I enjoy driving it so much, I drive it every opportunity I get...

·
Premium Member
798 Posts

I have pretty much the same schedule. I'll put 20k miles on in that timeframe due to having a 200+ mile round trip commute that I make 3 or so days a week. I really love having a car I enjoy to drive on said commute...so, while it may spend the winter months sitting in the garage unused that certainly doesn't make it a garage queen.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts