Green Tractor Talk banner

121 - 140 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the top right of the triangle has moved forward from the NSL to the MSL
I don't know if has moved or not but if the fulcrum moved forward (which would shorten the lever arm) that would result in less lifting force, not more.

·
Registered
373 Posts
That is what I thought, however John 54 posted the 4-in-1 was "much lighter & smaller...."

The 61" materials bucket weighs 211 pounds. The 60" 4-in-1 weighs in at 360 pounds.

That is only 150 pound more. I can deal with that on my stone age 3R. View attachment 746231
What I said was my Burder 4 in 1 bucket is lighter than the John Deere bucket because the Burder 4 in 1 bucket is designed to go on a MSL loader. Where as all the buckets (std or 4 in 1) I have seen on the John Deere loaders weather they are MSL or NSL loaders are all constructed with spill guards for the NSL loaders. If John Deere designed a bucket specifically for the Mechanically Self Leveling loaders the buckets (std and 4 in 1) would be quite a bit lighter.
Regards John.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ok, subtract the spill guard, but you have to add the weight of the hydraulic cylinders & such.

I was thinking the back of the bucket was a bit more robust so that it can be used as a dozer blade.

I'm gonna have to go check the weights on JD's sight, just out of curiosity.

I agree. That is why your replay about the 4-in-1 caught my attention. I have been thinking about adding one to my inventory, however I have absolutely no intention of giving up my grapple.
Hi rtgt I was comparing my bucket to the John Deere bucket, if I compared my Burder 4 in 1 bucket to a Burder std Bucket then yes the 4 in 1 is quite a bit heavier than the std Burder bucket.
I have absolutely no need for a grapple, my property has no bush on it. The odd branch that comes down I can handle with the 4 in 1. The bucket holds little less material than a std bucket, it takes a little longer but so what I am retired. I would not swap my 4 in 1. I can pick up a stumps after digging it out, dump it, get some fill and fill the hole all without getting out of the seat.
Regards John

·
Premium Member
10,177 Posts
Reactions: PJR832 and John 54

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Since these MSL loaders are only being offered on the 120R, 220R and 320E loaders, does that mean they are already standard on the 320R and 440R loaders that are on the 3R and 4R tractors?

Is the MSL function able to be switched off? On forklifts and other equipment you have to press a button to activate self leveling, otherwise you freehand it.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Since these MSL loaders are only being offered on the 120R, 220R and 320E loaders, does that mean they are already standard on the 320R and 440R loaders that are on the 3R and 4R tractors?

Is the MSL function able to be switched off? On forklifts and other equipment you have to press a button to activate self leveling, otherwise you freehand it.
If you move to Europe.....you can have all you wish for....I posted a Video of the UK model a page or 2 back.
All the functions electronicly operated from 4 buttons on the joystick......one day the Queen will let us have the good stuff.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
My dealer is still looking into it. It's so new that everything is speculation. He did say he reached out to his POC at the factory so we'll see what comes of it.

He did say that Deere is coming out with a 3rd function for the 2R and 3E.

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts

MSL can not be turned off, it's all mechanical linkages.
JD offered other loaders that had hydraulic leveling, (only on lift IIRC) that the valve could be shut off to disable.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
2 Posts
I stumbled across the MSL news on their website the other day, just found this thread. I just want to throw in my thoughts (having never used one):

The lift capacity increase should be much greater out ahead of the pin and not so significant at the pin, which is exactly where we need it most anyway. Most of our tractors do well enough with something like a bucket full of dirt, but can run out of capacity when the load is farther forward as it often is with forks or hoisting with chains. With NSL if you draw an arc around the boom pivot, when the pin goes from ground level to, say, 48 inches, the load on your forks might be going up to 60 (making up numbers) and so must have less force. Sure you can dump the bucket a bit to lower it but the weight is still farther from the pivot. With MSL the path of the load out on your forks no longer follows the arc around the boom pivot, but is roughly parallel to the path of the pin. Since it doesn't have to travel farther than the pin while raising, it's not losing as much force.

IOW, pin capacity and ahead-of-pin capacity should be closer with MSL than NSL. Disclaimer: maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but it sounds good in my head.

Most importantly, that conspicuous lack of 320R MSL has me looking for news of a 3 series refresh. Possibly related, I noticed some 3R configurator links breaking on Deere's website and on my local dealer's website over the last few days.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I did read last night that one guy has broken 3 leveling arms and 1 of the
loader (by the bucket) cast brackets.
That's on the Kubota though, right?

Still, similar concept could transfer here; that linkage does look less tolerant of twist and side force on the bucket. While sure, one should always load the bucket as symmetrically as possible, that's not always possible. Eg. dozing dirt and striking a hidden root or rock at one side of the bucket.

·
Registered
71 Posts
From the limited pictures, I don’t see any reason you could not buy the parts to convert a NSL 120R. Does anyone have more information on the differences? Looks like it is adding the pivot assembly only.
It says right on their webpage "optional field-installed mechanical self-leveling (MSL) loader" meaning that it's intended to be installed that way if not purchased with the tractor in the first place.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
It says right on their webpage "optional field-installed mechanical self-leveling (MSL) loader" meaning that it's intended to be installed that way if not purchased with the tractor in the first place.
I'm pretty sure any loader is optional.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Video... Kinda...

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
They have successfully illustrated what "self leveling" means, thereby answering the one question literally nobody had about this product.

Good work, over-paid marketing team!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am getting ready to order a tractor with the 120R loader and trying to understand the discrepancies in the capacity. Print brochures for the 120R loader put the capacity at 955# while the new capacity is 553# for the 120R NSL and 726 for the 120R MSL. They talk of increased capacity for the MSL but it is still less than the 955 they used to advertise. Any idea what I am missing?

·
Registered
878 Posts
I am getting ready to order a tractor with the 120R loader and trying to understand the discrepancies in the capacity. Print brochures for the 120R loader put the capacity at 955# while the new capacity is 553# for the 120R NSL and 726 for the 120R MSL. They talk of increased capacity for the MSL but it is still less than the 955 they used to advertise. Any idea what I am missing?
Measured at the pivot pin vs measured at 500mm in front of the pivot. 500mm in front will be a lower capacity for both loaders.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not sure that it's not a different loader. I took a freeze frame to compare the loader frame and it looks a lot different, especially near the bucket. Just an observation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The one piece that says 120r on it looks the same but yeah most of it looks different. I keep checking the parts catalog every few days to see if they have added it yet, that and I like looking around in the parts catalog ;)

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Yeah, I don't have my loader in front of me, but I'm try to discern what's welded vs what's bolted together. If memory serves, it's mor welded than not. It looks like the upper arm can use the pin highlighted on the right to mount to, along with the hole on the leftmost image for the lower connections. Still going to require different posts though.

Alternate theory; "field installed" is either a typo, or simply referring to the fact that, as with the current NSL 120R, the overall loader can be attached/removed in the field without needing to use tools.

I think the latter is most likely; if a NSL 120R could be upgraded, the language would likely have been (or should be..) "Optional Field modification."

121 - 140 of 185 Posts