Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'd been looking for a 950 or 1050 for a long time, but always seemed like the affordable ones went in a heartbeat. Missed an 850 with front blade and fertilizer spreader that went for $2000, saw an 850 (that was really, really rough) go for $1500, started following auctions, and found this 1050 with an 80 loader and an 8 backhoe, bid really low (listing said ?engine "tap"?) to leave room in the budget for a rebuild, and to my absolute astonishment I got it.

It has no ROPS, and that's job #1. I'd want ROPS if our farm was level, and it isn't level at all. With that in mind:

• Is the added 10 inches of height on the backhoe ROPS for safety? Or just to prevent taller operators from hitting their heads on it when they stand up? I'm not a tall guy, and all the used ROPS I see are the normal height one, not the 6 footer. (And pardon my ignorance, but if I lifted the hoe and tipped the tractor, wouldn't the raised hoe also help keep the tractor off me?) Which brings us to the second question...
  • Any recommendations for where to get a used ROPS for it? I've been calling around to various shops, found some decent offers, just wondering if there's somewhere I should be trying.
  • Can you still get individual parts? One shop had the ROPS except for the lower brackets, which must have gotten tossed when they parted out that tractor and are now gone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops! Sorry about that. Located just north of Pittsburgh, so southern PA wouldn't be too bad for me. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
where are the pictures???

4wd or 2wd?

You said engine tap, hopefully not a rod bearing or anything that could send a connecting rod through the block...

I'd love to have a backhoe for my 1050, mine has the slightly less-powerful 75 loader but even still it handles everything I need it to.

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,446 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,193 Posts
Good Post! I checked years ago and my state was not included. My local JD dealer told me JD would sell the ROPS kit at cost for older tractors that never originally came with a ROPS.
I found a used one for $100. The farmer took it off because he could not get below a loft in his barn. It was not a folding ROPS. I did have to buy bolts and nuts, since his loader rear axle mounts shared them with the ROPS.

Reactions: rehoboth and PJR832

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
where are the pictures???

4wd or 2wd?

You said engine tap, hopefully not a rod bearing or anything that could send a connecting rod through the block...

I'd love to have a backhoe for my 1050, mine has the slightly less-powerful 75 loader but even still it handles everything I need it to.
Pardon the lousy picture, it's supposed to get here at the end of the week from the auction house on the other side of the state.

Wheel Tire Sky Plant Tractor

Same hood damage as practically other 50 with a loader seems to have. Any hints for how not to drop stuff off the back of the bucket, which I assume is how that happens?

It's 4wd, which hopefully works. We need it, our fields are not hilly but the areas connecting them are. First big task for this guy (after finding a ROPS) is to prepare the area where we want to put a 16x25 greenhouse.

Right, the big concern is that the "tap" turns out to be a rod knock. Rebuild kits are available for the 3T90T-J, but I'd certainly just as soon not need one.

The 75 is supposed to be a great loader, I doubt I'll ever ask the 80 to do something that the 75 couldn't.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
My 1050 is currently under repair...fun times replacing the seals in the lower spindle housing. Spent a few hours on it today, got it apart:

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,446 Posts
Thanks a lot! I gave them a call. Pennsylvania has a backlog of requests right now, but I'd rather get the rebate late than never. What a great idea for a program!
Glad I could help, I know many aren't even aware of the program.

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
55 Posts
Pardon the lousy picture, it's supposed to get here at the end of the week from the auction house on the other side of the state.

View attachment 784945

Same hood damage as practically other 50 with a loader seems to have. Any hints for how not to drop stuff off the back of the bucket, which I assume is how that happens?

It's 4wd, which hopefully works. We need it, our fields are not hilly but the areas connecting them are. First big task for this guy (after finding a ROPS) is to prepare the area where we want to put a 16x25 greenhouse.

Right, the big concern is that the "tap" turns out to be a rod knock. Rebuild kits are available for the 3T90T-J, but I'd certainly just as soon not need one.

The 75 is supposed to be a great loader, I doubt I'll ever ask the 80 to do something that the 75 couldn't.

That looks like a solid 1050! Hope that tap isn't anything too bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was a terminal rod knock, auction house didn't tell the truth, engine died 2 minutes after I got it.

Considering how rough the rest of the machine was, we cut our losses and sold it.

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
55 Posts
It was a terminal rod knock, auction house didn't tell the truth, engine died 2 minutes after I got it.

Considering how rough the rest of the machine was, we cut our losses and sold it.
Dang does that stink.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

That's a bummer... did you sell it to a salvage yard or something? Parts are expensive off those tractors.

Reactions: SuperSherman44

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Bummer. Those are tough tractors, I have a 750 that looks a lot rougher than that one, but has low hours and is mechanically solid. It is a little tank!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
...and don't get me started on how much I would have loved to get my hands on that 8A backhoe.

Reactions: SuperSherman44

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
55 Posts
...and don't get me started on how much I would have loved to get my hands on that 8A backhoe.
I know, I'd love to have one of them for my 1050

Reactions: AJgrn78

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I see them occasionally on some obscure auction on the other side of the country. I need to try some local equipment auctions in case one shows up in decent condition.

·
Registered
Yanmar clacking
55 Posts
I see them occasionally on some obscure auction on the other side of the country. I need to try some local equipment auctions in case one shows up in decent condition.
I haven't seen any in a long while on any sites. Though I know a 1050 with flipped wheels, the backhoe, and the model 75 loader would look pretty dang awesome!

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Sorry for the hi-jack

not sure where you are located, but local Carolina John Deer dealer 8 backhoe for $2900
dont know the difference in a 8 or 8A...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts