Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post in GTT. But, I've been reading the Forum since I got my 1023E in early 2013 after retiring to 20 acres outside Columbia, MO. It is about 7-9 acres grassy and the rest wooded. The woods are older hardwoods with mostly cedars at the edges and scattered around the fields. We talk of our lawn (around the house), the yard (around the barn & sorta near the house), and the fields (out away from the buildings).

My strong-pioneer-stock type wife (she is the hardest working person I know) mows the lawn and much of the yard with Little John (X300 + 48" deck). I mowed the rest with Deere John (1023E), a 60D MMM, & an RC2048. We raise wild deer, rabbits, squirrels, turkeys, and other assorted critters and birds. Being an equipment junkie I started accumulating equipment (used, cheap, new) for Deere John wherever I could; which leaves me with some mismatched stuff, e.g. an RC2048 (about right size) and AP13F 48" Pallet Forks (too big & heavy for 1023E). But I made everything work well for me. The main job was mowing, but felling and limbing-up cedars (and other trees), removing fallen trees, tilling a big garden, moving tons of dirt and rock, and tilling food plots have also kept us busy.

Then I experienced some nerve damage to hands, arms, and legs. I needed something bigger, easier to reconfigure, easier to use, and bigger(theme!). So I upgraded to a 2019 (gen2) 2038R (Big John). I got the FEL and 72D MMM. The dealer also installed a single-point hydraulic connector, Artillian Diverter, and an AV20F Grapple. This was a good choice, as it made it easier to attach/drop the FEL without straining to undo Deere John's four disconnects. The bucket and grapple interchange easily. The MMM is easier to drop/attach than the old one. The iMatch transferred perfectly. Waiting for the Quik-Tach rear PTO system to come available so I can get the tiller and rotary cutter shafts fitted - don't know if the lengths are the same between 1023E and 2038R, haven't tried them yet. The Q-T should make it possible to hook-up the PTO shafts with my weak arms/hands.

In a future post I'll explain the differences I see between the 1023E and 2038R. I'll also talk about which implements have been most useful and how I used them to advantage. I'll also share some things I've learned and done to my equipment to make life better. I would like to say that I've learned a lot and saved myself a lot of trouble by reading the Forum. Great folks with a wealth of knowledge that should be required reading before anyone is allowed to get their first Green Tractor!
:usa

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
JonDann,
:wgtt:

Glad to have you here! :drinks:

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
Congrats on the 2038R :good2:

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Howdy and welcome neighbor(I'm in Mexico,MO), you will find a ton of great insights here.

·
Premium Member
13,934 Posts
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
:wgtt:from MN

·
Super Moderator
5,446 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Welcome from New York! Looking forward to your comparison of the two tractors.

·
Registered
11,643 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,521 Posts
Welcome to the site and congrats on the new tractor.

·
Super Moderator
7,866 Posts
:gtfam:

:congrats::greentractorride::usa:good2:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts