Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I bought my first tractor this week, a 2019 1025R with loader with 205hrs from a Copart auction. It was listed as "Starts" and "Mechanical". Turns out the original owner did an oil change and the oil filter came off :-(. When I picked it up there was no oil filter AND no oil pan. The local Ag-Pro called the dealer who examined it before the insurance company paid it off and with the oil loss story they have declined to submit it to JD for warranty (it is 30 days under 2 years). SO, it looks like i will be pulling the motor for a rebuild. I am struggling to find an overhaul kit for the Yanmar 3TNV80F-NCJT. I would welcome any parts sources or also any advice if there is an option to swap to a different engine as there also don't seem to be any used "80" engines around. Thanks in advance for your help!

fb0dd23d-9ce0-4e09-b43f-17a04c5ff802.jpeg

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hello All,
I bought my first tractor this week, a 2019 1025R with loader with 205hrs from a Copart auction. It was listed as "Starts" and "Mechanical". Turns out the original owner did an oil change and the oil filter came off :-(. When I picked it up there was no oil filter AND no oil pan. The local Ag-Pro called the dealer who examined it before the insurance company paid it off and with the oil loss story they have declined to submit it to JD for warranty (it is 30 days under 2 years). SO, it looks like i will be pulling the motor for a rebuild. I am struggling to find an overhaul kit for the Yanmar 3TNV80F-NCJT. I would welcome any parts sources or also any advice if there is an option to swap to a different engine as there also don't seem to be any used "80" engines around. Thanks in advance for your help!

View attachment 778634
Good luck. IDK of anyone on the forums doing any major work to this modern yanmar diesel. That thing has to be interesting to load and unload right now.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
947 Posts
Does that one guy work on these?

Edited for user privacy

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Now he is never coming out of hiding.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Would a 1026 engine bolt up? Or is it the same? I know the 1025 is a derated version but didn’t know if they made any other changes?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would bet the 2305 or 1026R engine would bolt in with few issues. Even a 1023 engine should fit. Most of the Yanmar engines I have seen use the same mounting points on the block and as the engine is connected to the transmission by a drive shaft the bell housing should not matter. Only the accessories would be different. The Horse power is normally controlled by the fuel injection system, Displacement and the compression ratio so I would just look for any three cylinder Yanmar you can find that is from the last 10-15 years.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Im curious though. Before you bought it were you aware it had a blown motor and if so, may I asked what you paid for it? Im just curious what a blown engine-related resale would be?

Also, any idea what a new crate motor might cost? The engine swap itself only looks like a weekend job swapping it so Im just curious, thats all.

·
Super Moderator
3,496 Posts
Also, any idea what a new crate motor might cost?
It's been a while but last I knew you're looking at around $7-8000 for a JD crate engine.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That really is unfortunate. Of course the auction has no liability even if they list it incorrectly gotta love fine print. When I picked up a truck several parts were removed like it was at a junk yard. I suspect someone might have dropped the pan in the lot to see why the motor wouldn’t start just doing their due diligence. I’ve seen this happen around here.
Did you contact yanmar directly for support? Deere? Wouldn’t hurt to contact a boat yard to have them refer you to a machine shop that’s familiar with yanmar

·
Premium Member
12,141 Posts
$2,000 of the price is a core charge

Screenshot_2021-03-13 John Deere Parts Catalog.png

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
Well that price with the core is horrible. Still expensive Depending on what it comes with. I have to wonder why they would want the core anyway.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do have it out and on the stand. Looks like #1 rod bearing is toast. 2-3 don’t have play. So best case I’ll have the rod(s) reconditioned, crank polished(or turned), worst case a new rod and pistons. Per the service rep this motor does not have liners.
CAE6CFD2-BE34-40E9-A437-08EA2E65B9ED.jpeg

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
With any luck it's just crank, cam and balance shaft bearings with a gasket set at this point.
Might have to pay for a crank polish or grind though.
Doesn't Deere sell engine parts?

Reactions: Toughsox and dluney

·
Registered
454 Posts
I would have to do a little research to see how many of the parts are the same but we have a 3TNV88 at work that has a bent rod. Not sure how it happened but it may have some good parts in it. I know the cylinder head is new. Where are you located?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would have to do a little research to see how many of the parts are the same but we have a 3TNV88 at work that has a bent rod. Not sure how it happened but it may have some good parts in it. I know the cylinder head is new. Where are you located?
I should have mentioned that, I’m just north or Atlanta in Suwanee GA.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Why haven't you called Deere??? I just don't understand accepting the tractor with a dead engine. Especially that engine which seldom if ever breaks. And here's another thing for you. How do you know it will even move once you rebuild or replace the engine.

·
Registered
820 Posts
They must have parts for it. How else would they be able to do any work on them?

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why haven't you called Deere??? I just don't understand accepting the tractor with a dead engine. Especially that engine which seldom if ever breaks. And here's another thing for you. How do you know it will even move once you rebuild or replace the engine.
I did call Deere before I bought it and was told it had 30 days remains warranty. I took to the local dealer(Ag-Pro) and as it was sold and serviced by one of their locations, they had the history of the declined repair and insurance settlement. It was sold as-is through an insurance auction.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts