·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Then I wish you luck with your repair.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
540 Posts
Gotta love those auctions eh? Copart sells junk for the most part. I wouldn't expect anything they sell to be usable as is.

I once bought a trencher from bidadoo for about $1000 that they described as mechanically sound and showed running, however it had some issues. I told them I was sending it back on their dime or they could refund me what that would cost. They sent me $400, I fixed it, and still use it ten years later. There's a bit more to the story and they knew I had them if it had to go before a judge.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
They must have parts for it. How else would they be able to do any work on them?
They probably just replce the whole engine. We had a Bobcat T770 that got water in the fuel. It took out the number 3 piston and rod. We rebuilt the Doosan engine but it took a whole lot of demanding as Doosan doesn't want to sell engine parts, they want to sell replacement engines. Took us a year to get all the parts for a rebuild but they never could provide the proper cam bearings. We ended up cutting down the cam journals to fit the bearings they supplied. We'll never owner another Bobcat

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yanmar can support the engine, my local yanmar dealer in NY can get me all the same parts for the Deere engine model run out. The deal is some times it's a paint code or oil pan depth thing for Deere, aka stationary vs off Rd vs marine, talk directly to a yanmar industrial dealer they can jump thru the hurtles or cross it to there tractor..

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,983 Posts
I don't know about this. I'd have it fixed because I'm not an in depth engine mechanic. My question is this...how did the owner of the tractor NOT see the oil after start up with no oil filter? And if he did, why didn't he shut it off? Would that little bit of time at start up destroy the engine that fast? There should have been a bit of oil still in the engine when he seen the oil all over where it's not supposed to be and then should have been an immediate shut down. Even when I laid mine on it's side I knew it had to be shut down as soon as possible so to not destroy the engine.

Depending on what you paid I'd have it fixed and move on and enjoy the tractor. Isn't the compact tractor factory in Ga.?

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Premium Member
12,239 Posts
The engine parts are also sold on the John Deere parts website. Any of the parts you want, you can get on the Deere site. Looking them up is very easy.

Most dealer dealers would wisely suggest replacing the entire engine in such a case as the ability to bid the work and get it to come in on bid would be very time consuming. And the only way the dealer can know for sure they have covered the entire problem is to either;

1. Tear the engine down and asses the damage which takes time. Then they have to compile the list of parts and labor to then effect the repair. If they get into the rebuild and find additional parts are needed, they need to keep adjusting the repair order and getting new approval for the additional amount.

Each step of this costs money. Most customers don't like to pay for the tear down knowing its not going to complete the repair. But why should the dealer and the tech donate the time to prepare a detailed quote outlining all of the parts and labor and the costs to repair it, only to have the customer refuse to pay the tear down cost? It happens more often than many would think.

There are also the outside machining costs. When they are done, they have to back the rebuilt engine, which is difficult because you just can't be sure without careful examination and experienced rebuilding experience that the engine is going to be 100%. And the time it takes to make sure the engine is 100% are all labor hours.

2. Put in a new or re-manufactured engine, (the quote above is a new engine). New engine has a 12 month warranty, Re-man has a 6 month warranty.

I understand why the dealer would suggest the new engine, especially in a case where the oil starvation occurred. Its the best way to make the most thorough replacement of the parts which were oil starved and also providing a machine which is the most reliable to the customer.

There are diesel engine rebuilt shops who might handle this and the machining if the customer desires. They would have the expertise in the rebuild process, which frankly many dealer techs just don't encounter very often.

If the injector pump is at all compromised and either has to be rebuilt or replaced, the costs of the new engine suddenly make sense. The injector pump is an additional $1,652 additional cost. The new engine comes with a new injector pump already installed.

You can also buy short blocks, long blocks and various versions of this assembly, both in new and re-manufactured, so there are other cost options.

I am surprised that some people would think either Deere or Yanmar should somehow provide some concessions in this case or that Deere should cover it under a warranty.

The insurance company already paid off on this machine. The insurance company then released the tractor to the auction company. I would pursue how the insurance company communicated the condition of this machine to the auction company as they would have no reason to distort the truth of the engine being oil starved. For the auction company to list this as "starts and runs" or whatever description they used, if it implies the machine ran, there was most likely fraud involved.

I am still trying to figure out how the "oil filter falls off"..................

Screenshot_2021-03-14 John Deere Parts Catalog.png
Screenshot_2021-03-14 John Deere Parts Catalog(1).png
Screenshot_2021-03-14 John Deere Parts Catalog(2).png
Screenshot_2021-03-14 John Deere Parts Catalog(3).png
Screenshot_2021-03-14 John Deere Parts Catalog(4).png

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 4120 eHydro, 400x, 448 backhoe
116 Posts
Gotta love those auctions eh? Copart sells junk for the most part. I wouldn't expect anything they sell to be usable as is.

I once bought a trencher from bidadoo for about $1000 that they described as mechanically sound and showed running, however it had some issues. I told them I was sending it back on their dime or they could refund me what that would cost. They sent me $400, I fixed it, and still use it ten years later. There's a bit more to the story and they knew I had them if it had to go before a judge.
I know for a fact that Copart sells some stuff that isn’t junk. When my 2015 Ram 2500 mega cab diesel was totaled in late 2019 it ended up going to Copart. It was absolutely better than new perfect other than the obvious collision damage from getting rear ended at 60 mph while stopped in traffic on the interstate. I tried to buy it back from insurance but the Copart bid was higher than what it made sense for me to invest and fix it myself.

·
Premium Member
8,902 Posts
Sulley, the oil filter probably "fell off" from where ever the "mechanic" set it, that forgot to install it.
Another Forum I visit had a Kawasaki Mule that needed a replacement engine. When asked how the engine failed, the reply was a ranch hand drained the oil and someone used it before the oil change was finished. They probably ignored the RED oil pressure light as well as the RED seat belt reminder light.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Chances are there’s more damage that has not been uncovered at this point!
JMO!
In regards to repairing what you have to work with you might spend as much time and money finding all the issues a couple at a time vs buying a crate engine and moving forward, depends on your initial purchase intentions.

Reactions: Levi and Toughsox

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Most engines are "designed" to seize the rod bearings first if oil starvation. This "prevents" the remainder of the engine (cam bearings, lifters, valves, pistons, etc.) from more extensive damage. No sure of Yanmar's design philosophy.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hello All,
I bought my first tractor this week, a 2019 1025R with loader with 205hrs from a Copart auction.

View attachment 778634
Buying it salvage from an auto auction is a pretty good way to get a reasonably priced tractor.

My first thought would be "Hmmm, it's out of warranty. Anybody hot rodding these Yanmars?".

Not that I'd want to raise the unreliability threshold, but while the engine is apart increasing performance or reliability might not be a bad idea. It's a safe bet that all the replacement parts for these diesels exist and that either JD or Yanmar has a rebuild manual for the engine that step by step's the disassembly, verifiction of tolerances and then the reassembly.

Gotta be a Yanmar or small engine forum somewhere with someone hopping up some variant, whether the tractor or marine stuff.

Could be a fun little project.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hello All,
I bought my first tractor this week, a 2019 1025R with loader with 205hrs from a Copart auction. It was listed as "Starts" and "Mechanical". Turns out the original owner did an oil change and the oil filter came off :-(. When I picked it up there was no oil filter AND no oil pan. The local Ag-Pro called the dealer who examined it before the insurance company paid it off and with the oil loss story they have declined to submit it to JD for warranty (it is 30 days under 2 years). SO, it looks like i will be pulling the motor for a rebuild. I am struggling to find an overhaul kit for the Yanmar 3TNV80F-NCJT. I would welcome any parts sources or also any advice if there is an option to swap to a different engine as there also don't seem to be any used "80" engines around. Thanks in advance for your help!

View attachment 778634
so sorry to hear your story I hope you didn't pay much. good luck keep us posted .

·
Registered
465 Posts
They probably just replce the whole engine. We had a Bobcat T770 that got water in the fuel. It took out the number 3 piston and rod. We rebuilt the Doosan engine but it took a whole lot of demanding as Doosan doesn't want to sell engine parts, they want to sell replacement engines. Took us a year to get all the parts for a rebuild but they never could provide the proper cam bearings. We ended up cutting down the cam journals to fit the bearings they supplied. We'll never owner another Bobcat
The company I work for started selling Doosan generators. I went to Doosan engine training and was told they design them to be a throw away engine. If I remember correctly they machine the block to fit the parts set for that block. So once they run out of that lot of parts they don’t have replacement parts. Really strange but I guess that’s how they do things in Korea.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
The company I work for started selling Doosan generators. I went to Doosan engine training and was told they design them to be a throw away engine. If I remember correctly they machine the block to fit the parts set for that block. So once they run out of that lot of parts they don’t have replacement parts. Really strange but I guess that’s how they do things in Korea.
Sounds about right after what we went through

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I would continue dismantling and inspecting.
I think most would agree that this is a relatively easy engine to work on vs something larger.
You don't know your least expensive options until then.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
The JD Service manual for my 1026R I have has very good information on engine specifications an rebuilding. I am sure the 1025R manual would also have that information.

Reactions: dluney and Levi

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The JD Service manual for my 1026R I have has very good information on engine specifications an rebuilding. I am sure the 1025R manual would also have that information.
Thanks, I did pay more than I paid for Porsche manuals and got the PDF download.

21 - 40 of 91 Posts