Green Tractor Talk banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
You seem to have the know how and Either way as long as you didn’t overpay considerably at the auction it’s going to be worth fixing. The tractor will have considerable value once you get it fixed. Most likely will be worth the effort. Following along and hoping for the best!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello All,
I bought my first tractor this week, a 2019 1025R with loader with 205hrs from a Copart auction. It was listed as "Starts" and "Mechanical". Turns out the original owner did an oil change and the oil filter came off :-(. When I picked it up there was no oil filter AND no oil pan. The local Ag-Pro called the dealer who examined it before the insurance company paid it off and with the oil loss story they have declined to submit it to JD for warranty (it is 30 days under 2 years). SO, it looks like i will be pulling the motor for a rebuild. I am struggling to find an overhaul kit for the Yanmar 3TNV80F-NCJT. I would welcome any parts sources or also any advice if there is an option to swap to a different engine as there also don't seem to be any used "80" engines around. Thanks in advance for your help!

View attachment 778634
Text me at *** and I’ll text you a friend’s number who will help you
He’s done a bunch of work in the yanmars

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All,
I bought my first tractor this week, a 2019 1025R with loader with 205hrs from a Copart auction. It was listed as "Starts" and "Mechanical". Turns out the original owner did an oil change and the oil filter came off :-(. When I picked it up there was no oil filter AND no oil pan. The local Ag-Pro called the dealer who examined it before the insurance company paid it off and with the oil loss story they have declined to submit it to JD for warranty (it is 30 days under 2 years). SO, it looks like i will be pulling the motor for a rebuild. I am struggling to find an overhaul kit for the Yanmar 3TNV80F-NCJT. I would welcome any parts sources or also any advice if there is an option to swap to a different engine as there also don't seem to be any used "80" engines around. Thanks in advance for your help!

View attachment 778634
I've read most of the comments...I just have a comment, not meaning to be rude to anyone but, I can't figure out why some people don't realize you "know" something about engines and what you are doing??? Good luck on getting it fixed...I'm sure you'll be able to take care of it. I will tell you though, I realize it's none of any one of ours business but it really would be interesting to know what you paid for it. Regards, Gregg

·
Registered
12,438 Posts
Text me at.................... and I’ll text you a friend’s number who will help you
He’s done a bunch of work in the yanmars
You really should not post phone numbers or physical addresses online, sending them through pm is much better for your personal identity security.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The engine parts are also sold on the John Deere parts website. Any of the parts you want, you can get on the Deere site. Looking them up is very easy.

Most dealer dealers would wisely suggest replacing the entire engine in such a case as the ability to bid the work and get it to come in on bid would be very time consuming. And the only way the dealer can know for sure they have covered the entire problem is to either;

1. Tear the engine down and asses the damage which takes time. Then they have to compile the list of parts and labor to then effect the repair. If they get into the rebuild and find additional parts are needed, they need to keep adjusting the repair order and getting new approval for the additional amount.

Each step of this costs money. Most customers don't like to pay for the tear down knowing its not going to complete the repair. But why should the dealer and the tech donate the time to prepare a detailed quote outlining all of the parts and labor and the costs to repair it, only to have the customer refuse to pay the tear down cost? It happens more often than many would think.

There are also the outside machining costs. When they are done, they have to back the rebuilt engine, which is difficult because you just can't be sure without careful examination and experienced rebuilding experience that the engine is going to be 100%. And the time it takes to make sure the engine is 100% are all labor hours.

2. Put in a new or re-manufactured engine, (the quote above is a new engine). New engine has a 12 month warranty, Re-man has a 6 month warranty.

I understand why the dealer would suggest the new engine, especially in a case where the oil starvation occurred. Its the best way to make the most thorough replacement of the parts which were oil starved and also providing a machine which is the most reliable to the customer.

There are diesel engine rebuilt shops who might handle this and the machining if the customer desires. They would have the expertise in the rebuild process, which frankly many dealer techs just don't encounter very often.

If the injector pump is at all compromised and either has to be rebuilt or replaced, the costs of the new engine suddenly make sense. The injector pump is an additional $1,652 additional cost. The new engine comes with a new injector pump already installed.

You can also buy short blocks, long blocks and various versions of this assembly, both in new and re-manufactured, so there are other cost options.

I am surprised that some people would think either Deere or Yanmar should somehow provide some concessions in this case or that Deere should cover it under a warranty.

The insurance company already paid off on this machine. The insurance company then released the tractor to the auction company. I would pursue how the insurance company communicated the condition of this machine to the auction company as they would have no reason to distort the truth of the engine being oil starved. For the auction company to list this as "starts and runs" or whatever description they used, if it implies the machine ran, there was most likely fraud involved.

I am still trying to figure out how the "oil filter falls off"..................

View attachment 778726 View attachment 778728 View attachment 778729 View attachment 778730 View attachment 778731
Good commnet. On a side note, are you a Teacher?

·
Premium Member
12,033 Posts
Considering the cam bearing issue, or lack thereof, have you considered this option?

It seems like he is in your neighborhood as well.

I have a 2305 with 450 hours and a blown pto. It has same engine as my 1026r. Located in Alabama.

·
Premium Member
12,141 Posts
Good commnet. On a side note, are you a Teacher?
No, but I did recently spend a night at a Holiday Inn Express.............. ;)

(if you didn't see their commercials from years ago, you likely won't get the joke....)

Reactions: BWV

·
Registered
126 Posts
No, but I did recently spend a night at a Holiday Inn Express.............. ;)

(if you didn't see their commercials from years ago, you likely won't get the joke....)
I get the joke LOL. Just your replies are very detailed and your type of speak.

·
Super Moderator
3,496 Posts
Considering the cam bearing issue, or lack thereof, have you considered this option?

It seems like he is in your neighborhood as well.
I believe he said he's going to be able to get it fixed under the finance insurance?

·
Premium Member
12,141 Posts
I’m looking at that as an option.
Are their any oil supply sources machined in the cam journal locations which are just the machined block to support the use of a bearing? Hey, one has to ask because who would have thought there wouldn't be cam bearings at each of the 4 journal support points of the camshaft?

·
Premium Member
12,141 Posts
I get the joke LOL. Just your replies are very detailed and your type of speak.
I design and implement detailed conceptual strategies for a living. Nothing which the client can touch or feel, just strategic ways to provide business succession and deal with the myriad of tax and legal issues involved. But I do appreciate your comment and compliment. (y)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Update: The crankshaft was not serviceable. The #1 rod/piston were not serviceable. With those and the damage to the cam surfaces, I am going to plan B and have a replacement Yanmar engine on order. I'll update that again when I have it installed. For those that have rebuilt these, is there a go-to sealant for the non-gasketed surface like the oil pan and timing gear covers? Thanks,

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I like Loctite 515 or similar for this type of work.
Not sure about Yanmar in specific.. but for cases, pump housings, or machined (not tin) timing covers and the like it's awesome.
I used it a lot on Motorcycle case halves, cylinder bases, and head/cam covers that double as the upper half of cam bearings (where clearance tolerancie is important) with great sucess.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
So the good news update, after 4 weeks I received a short block from Mastry Engines. It had to travel from Atlanta to Florida to get shipped back to me in Atlanta. I did not like the look of the oil pump and the front gear housing where it lives so after a double overnight shipping that came in on Friday. Fairly smooth assembly after that with a Saturday morning trip to the local JD dealer for an OEM oil filter and to look over a new 1025R to make sure I had routed the wire looms correctly (it’s been 6 weeks since I pulled it). No start for the first 4-5 attempts. Cracked a fuel line and nothing. Out of fuel! +5 gallons, a little fuel line bleeding and it fired up! Happy to run it around just to enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
2020 1025R
54 Posts
The good news....these yanmar engines are darned near bullet proof. Just do the typical preventative maintenance and it will outlive you. :)

Best,

61 - 80 of 91 Posts