Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I bought a non running 1990 jd 855. Fuel tank behind dash / air filter behind grill model.
*This is my first tractor, but I do own a front end loader and have experience with other diesel equipment.
I have the 3CTM manual and JD220 manual.

I rebuilt the engine using oversized .50mm pistons and rings and now runs very nicely now.

I do have some questions:

1. I bought an outer and inner air filter. However, the inner air filter does not seat properly because the inside diameter of the filter does not slide over the last inch of the round support inside of the air cleaner box. Is this supposed to have 2 air filters or just one? I have only been running the larger, outer filter.

2. The PTO doesnt work. I am using the trouble shooting guide from the manual but can't get to the wires behind the dash even after I removed the side panels. Do i need to remove the fuel tank? What usually fails in the PTO activation system?

3. Is the 3 point hitch relief valve adjustable? If it is, how do I do it? I couldn't find it in the manuals. It doesnt seem to lift that much weight. Wouldn't lift 350-400 lbs before the relief valve kicked in.

4. Sometimes the fuel shutoff solenoid will not stay open during operation. Its starts (solenoid opens temporarily while starter engaged) and dies immediately (solenoid closes). Sometimes it runs fine, no issues. Any ideas where to start?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks for taking the time to read this. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I'm about 2 months into this project.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Wish I could help but I'm sure that there are more than a few guys here that can.

Reactions: raco232

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Hello,
I bought a non running 1990 jd 855. Fuel tank behind dash / air filter behind grill model.
*This is my first tractor, but I do own a front end loader and have experience with other diesel equipment.
I have the 3CTM manual and JD220 manual.

I rebuilt the engine using oversized .50mm pistons and rings and now runs very nicely now.

I do have some questions:

1. I bought an outer and inner air filter. However, the inner air filter does not seat properly because the inside diameter of the filter does not slide over the last inch of the round support inside of the air cleaner box. Is this supposed to have 2 air filters or just one? I have only been running the larger, outer filter.

2. The PTO doesnt work. I am using the trouble shooting guide from the manual but can't get to the wires behind the dash even after I removed the side panels. Do i need to remove the fuel tank? What usually fails in the PTO activation system?

3. Is the 3 point hitch relief valve adjustable? If it is, how do I do it? I couldn't find it in the manuals. It doesnt seem to lift that much weight. Wouldn't lift 350-400 lbs before the relief valve kicked in.

4. Sometimes the fuel shutoff solenoid will not stay open during operation. Its starts (solenoid opens temporarily while starter engaged) and dies immediately (solenoid closes). Sometimes it runs fine, no issues. Any ideas where to start?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks for taking the time to read this. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I'm about 2 months into this project.
1 Air filter can on 955 has the 2 filters........I wonder if you were sold 755 filters which would be early 855 vs later like you have...not sure on the differences there
2. wires are a pita to get too.....check seat switch and fuse. with a long narrow screwdriver you can hold/push magnet up through slot in dash to "manually" make it work to test. Might have been through left side of dash ...you will see big round unit/magnet.
3. It should easily lift 500# ++ No clue on relief valve
4 Had one with terrible electric gremlins....never could solve some issues.
Dealer wanted to replace harness....I said no ,try just the ignition switch. They said they never go bad.
It was a standoff that never got resolved. There are a few ground straps near motor mounts ,fuse blocks seem to go bad as I've seen several butchered ones. These are very finiky about clean battery terminals.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you,
I used part # from Online Parts catalog for air cleaner. Who knows...

PTO:
Seat switched was hardwired/bypassed by previous owner. I double checked continuity.
I checked power at the fuse. I don't quite understand the screwdriver magnet manual bypass method. Any more details on that?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Look through the Slot in dash while pushing lever forwards.

You will see a roundish magnet that travels with lever.

If there is no power (seat switch etc.)....the magnet will snap back down.

If there is power that will hold magnet "up" and pto will start. If you get off the seat....switch shuts power and magnet releases turning pto off.

You can see this mechanism through left side of dash. Probly with side panel off ,i forget.
You can "manually" hold the magnet in the up postition to see if pto engages.

Clear as mud now?....sorry I'm not that good at writing and explaining.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It works! Duke, You must have an IQ of 160! Thanks Dan. I turned the nut on the lever mechanism which allowed magnet to follow lever and the pto turned on. Now to figure out how to fix the magnet...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, the deere online parts catalog shows a single stage, front mounted air cleaner filter AND a dual stage, front mounted air cleaner for the 855. I didnt mention this tractor's rings were worn out at 480 hours from a dusted engine. The inside of the intake air hose was caked with dust. I'm a little concerned about doing the same thing right after rebuilding it.

I still can't find anything on a pressure relief valve adjustment for the weak lifting of the 3ph. Anyone know of one?

·
Registered
1 Posts
For a tight seal on the 2 stage cleaners you should have been supplied 2 concave washers with rubber seals on them. Lookup the filter kit on Amazon you can see the the 2 they look like orings but are metal washers with rubber on one side. Inspect your filters very closely as they are usually taped on to them. They need to go in certain orientation with filters when installing to get the air tight seal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts