Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Holy cow does this look like an awesome community! I've learned so much over the last couple of days. Thank you so much to all that contribute, my head's exploding!

Quick back story, our family tractor ('79 IH 584) was stolen last summer. Dang thing only had 900 hours on it. After lots and lots and lots of research, for our use, we settled on a pre-emissions 5075E. Found one with low hours (280ish), and to me, what seems like a good, tight, solid machine. We are dropping it off at the local service center and they actually have maintenance records from the previous owner, which they happily printed for us. I really think we found a great find.

I REALLY look forward to participating in this community. I do have a couple of quick questions though. Specifically related to security. We understand that we'll never really be able to prevent a theft at our place. If they want it, they're gonna get it. Our goal is to slow them down.

1. Does it make sense to install a hidden toggle switch for the key? I'm a techie guy, so this shouldn't be too difficult.
  2. Does it make sense to put in a battery switch? I know, easy to see and flip, but I'm assuming our alarm has gone off, so I want to annoy them / cause panic.
  3. I was thinking about making a 1" round bar that slides through the front wheels (and rear if there is clearance), with some protected shackle locks. Again, just slow 'em down, cause irritation/panic.
Do any of y'all do anything like this? Or, do y'all have any other suggestions?

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
16,495 Posts
Welcome to GTT.

I remove the ignition key. Of course a key can be bought locally and on the inter-web, so it'll only prevent the honest thief(if there's such a thing) from stealing it.

If a thief is determined to steal it, a hidden switch won't stop them. The "bar" you speak of might.

Best parking it inside a closed building to keep it out of sight.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remove the ignition key. Of course a key can be bought locally and on the inter-web, so it'll only prevent the honest thief(if there's such a thing) from stealing it.

Best parking it inside a closed building to keep it out of sight.
Thanks! We are on a decently large farm, and have a fully secured metal barn, no windows, 1/4-1/2 mile from a road. We don't live onsite, and we don't leave keys onsite at all. We suspect they were either searching Google Maps, or walking the power line easement, and just came upon it. When they broke in, they busted through 2 metal doors, broke locks, broke logging chains, and just drove it out (with a lot of other stuff).

I'm thinking about a homemade bar lock to lock the front wheels to the rear wheels. That will require at least 10 minutes of grinding per side...

·
Registered
784 Posts
You will find more uses for these tools but if you squeeze off the rubber fuel line in a discreet place no one is going far with your tractor.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. I have a 2012 5065E among others.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Thanks! We are on a decently large farm, and have a fully secured metal barn, no windows, 1/4-1/2 mile from a road. We don't live onsite, and we don't leave keys onsite at all. We suspect they were either searching Google Maps, or walking the power line easement, and just came upon it. When they broke in, they busted through 2 metal doors, broke locks, broke logging chains, and just drove it out (with a lot of other stuff).

I'm thinking about a homemade bar lock to lock the front wheels to the rear wheels. That will require at least 10 minutes of grinding per side...
Juice onsite?

Good security system with cameras that have enough resolution to pick up facial features with storage and CPUs hidden from prying eyes.

And motion detection software to send you notifications that tamperage is happening.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You will find more uses for these tools but if you squeeze off the rubber fuel line in a discreet place no one is going far with your tractor.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. I have a 2012 5065E among others.
Those are cool, that's a good idea. I'll explore that one also. It does sit for months at a time, so holding the hoses closed that long in a hot barn might not be good.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Juice onsite?

Good security system with cameras that have enough resolution to pick up facial features with storage and CPUs hidden from prying eyes.

And motion detection software to send you notifications that tamperage is happening.
Yes, full electric at the barn. ZERO Internet. Alarm system is on cellular. Yes, we've got some cellular cameras, but plan to have a better system if/when we can get decent Internet. Slow DSL is craaaazy expensive out there, and only has 1Mb upload, so not good for cameras, would all have to be local, blah blah blah. I'm in IT, so I'm good with this part of it. It's just a lot of money to try and secure something that's been untouched for 60 years. :(

·
Registered
784 Posts
You could always pop a few fuses out of the fuse box and take them with you. Don't forget them when you return though.

·
Premium Member
2017 1025R TLB - H120 - 260 - 60D
131 Posts
Make a cardboard cut out of a Prius, paint it up real good and place it over the tractor.

everyone else’s ideas were good so I had to come up with something!

·
Registered
235 Posts
As above a hidden GPS tracking device, this way you will know where it is. Of course it has to be well hidden or they will just leave it sitting in the barn.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I can see value in having a tracking device but I'd prefer my tractor didn't leave in the first place.
My first line of defense would be to thwart the theft in the first place. Most thieves are lazy. They will go for easy pickings before they will be bothered with trying to diagnose an engine which will not start or run. Anything you can do to inconvenience a potential thief will help and a combination of things would be even better. Squeezing off a fuel line, removing essential fuses and the starter relay,removing clutch linkage and taking it with you, lifting the primer plunger on the fuel filter housing and leaving it in the up position, disconnect the neutral safety start switch and maybe even adding a steering wheel locking device just for a few examples. Even though they are easily obtainable take the ignition key with you when you leave.
On my 5225 cab tractor if I engage the manual lever for the PTO the engine will not start. The same is true for the power reverser. Flip the lever to forward or reverse and the engine won't start.
Even though you may not have an alarm system you can buy stickers on the net saying "Warning this property is protected by ..........". The thief will at least think twice before entering a building and be nervous, then when the tractor won't start he will give up and run (Hopefully). Parking your tractor sideways in the barn before disabling it might deter someone from going through the trouble of trying to tow the tractor to load it on a trailer. Most thieves are in a hurry to get the job done and get away.
Most importantly talk with your insurance agent and get coverage on your equipment for fire and theft.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate all the great ideas, thanks! We're going to use a mix of the alarm, as many "cut points" with chains/locks as we can do reasonably, and some wiring, probably hiding a key switch with the ignition. Real time alarms, cameras and signs as well, that's about all we can do.

Really looking forward to being a part of this group/community! I can't wait to get the ol' girl out there.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Congrats on the tractor ...

I set the width of the rear wheels to the second widest setting. (as I remember 68 inches) It dramatically increased the seat of the pants stability. (Especially needed with the loader) The fronts don't contribute much since the axle pivots. Keeping them narrow "seems" to help turning radius.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts