Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2004 2210 w/loader & MMM with 521 hrs. for $10k.

Other than a leak in the steering cylinder (much worse than the owner represented), it is in excellent condition. I've ordered a seal kit for the cylinder.

So far, I love it! I bought a 5' york rake for it at Tractor Supply for $430 and a Quick attach for $109 at Harbor Freight. I need to find more projects to dig and rake now.

I'm trying to decide if I need to put a block/water hose/magnetic heater in for the winter. Any thoughts? If I can talk my wife into keeping it in the garage which is heated to 50 degrees, it won't be an issue. If I move my 1978 Wheelhorse C-16 out of the unheated shed it may need to have the engine warmed a bit. Apparently, the two previous owners did not need the heater.

My first Deere was a 1970 JD 400 industrial backhoe/loader. My cranky neighbors complained vociferously to the zoning officer, even though it was parked on the opposite corner of my property and covered with a camouflage tarp and they could only see the top 4" of the cab. This one, they can't complain about because it's my lawn mower....

I'll be talking to you...

furnone

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Very nice looking tractor! Block heaters are nice as it reduces wear on the motor, but as long as your glow plugs are working, you should be able to start it in weather above 10 below zero F.

Any plans to fill the ballast box?

·
Administrator
21,048 Posts
Welcome to DT!

I agree with Brain, it should start easily enough if your battery is in good shape ( maybe use a battery tender is you have AC available), and you allow the GP's to warm up first pulling the PTO button up or leaving it in gear for about 10 seconds before you actually start it. The GP's in these models are only active while the key is in the start position-there is no automatic pre-heat function so you have to do it manually.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My first Deere was a 1970 JD 400 industrial backhoe/loader. My cranky neighbors complained vociferously to the zoning officer, even though it was parked on the opposite corner of my property and covered with a camouflage tarp and they could only see the top 4" of the cab. This one, they can't complain about because it's my lawn mower....

I'll be talking to you...

furnone
Ugh! I wouldn't want to live in a place where my neighbors could tell me whether I could keep a tractor on the property!:thumbsdown: What happened to the "land of the free" anyway?

Even up here in Maine, we have all too many people trying to regulate what others can and can't do with the property that they own and pay taxes on.

Anyway, enjoy your new tractor! I hope it works out well for you, and is "politically correct" enough for your neighborhood.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Welcome to DT.

We are glad you are here. Hope you have as much fun here as we do. :yahoo:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice looking tractor! Block heaters are nice as it reduces wear on the motor, but as long as your glow plugs are working, you should be able to start it in weather above 10 below zero F.

Any plans to fill the ballast box?
Thanks for the tips. Yes Brian, I've been reading posts on ballast. I'm thinking of cement with 2" PVC pipe embedded as tool holders. I'll line the box with 1/2" plywood and embed a lifting hook so I can remove it if necessary.

It's filled about half way with gravel now.

The block heater sounds like the best protection, but I've read a few posts about problems removing the plug and I'd hate to crack the block.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hmmmm... what are neighbors haha:fed::fed::fed:

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Ugh! I wouldn't want to live in a place where my neighbors could tell me whether I could keep a tractor on the property!:thumbsdown: What happened to the "land of the free" anyway?

Anyway, enjoy your new tractor! I hope it works out well for you, and is "politically correct" enough for your neighborhood.
That's what a buddy of mine in Newfoundland asks me. I tell him we are victims of "Passive Oppression."

Thanks for the tips. Yes Brian, I've been reading posts on ballast. I'm thinking of cement with 2" PVC pipe embedded as tool holders. I'll line the box with 1/2" plywood and embed a lifting hook so I can remove it if necessary.

It's filled about half way with gravel now.
Welcome to DT, I keep mine filled with sand, and I've used it for emergency traction in the snow.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Where I am, we get extremes down to as low as -40F but most of the winter seems to hover around the +10 to -10 F range. I had the block heater put in and I also added a small 80 watt battery warmer which wraps around the battery. Both of these plug into a timer that turns on automatically at around 10F and will switch back off as temp goes back up. Saves worrying about manual timers and having things run that don't need to based on temperature. The battery warmer has a dramatic effect on CCA's and is worth the 27.00 to install!

Cheers
Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts