Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 185-hydro lawn Tractor.
Note" I "inherited" this recently, and know nothing of it's past.
It started losing power going up-hill. I changed the differential fluid -no help.
I started working on the drive bely which seemed really loose.
In trying to get the drive belt tensioned properly, I noticed a bolt about a 3" long with sleeve sticking down next to the PTO clutch. It was loose in a slot it can move up and down in. There's a lock nut on the end. No pulley.See pic.
Thingy copy.jpg

Now, this is ser.#509841. Full mod #is = M00185B509841 (So I fit into the 475,000-up serial number parts list.
The parts diagrams for 475k+ shows just a bolt with a spacer. So far so good, but am I supposed to slide this bolt along the slot and up against the belt and tighten it down?
Would it not have a high degree of friction?

Other pics in the manual show a pulley of some sort.
Looks like mine copy.gif
I believe this is for a different model though.

So do I accept the friction? Or am I missing something.
It's pouring rain so I can't just "try it and see".
So I thought while waiting I would get a second opinion.
Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
20,664 Posts
:wgtt:

I believe that bolt is on the wrong side of the belt. It's there to prevent the belt coming off the pulley when you disengage the drive belt. I'd flip it to the other side of the belt and adjust it with the clutch engaged so you can adjust it for about 1/4-3/8" clearance. You should be all set then. :good2:

·
Registered
568 Posts

just a thought if its loosing power going up hill check fuel system.

·
Premium Member
14,701 Posts
I don't have a answer ,but looks like you've been getting some good help .:bigthumb:

Welcome from West Virginia

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I believe that bolt is on the wrong side of the belt. It's there to prevent the belt coming off the pulley when you disengage the drive belt. I'd flip it to the other side of the belt and adjust it with the clutch engaged so you can adjust it for about 1/4-3/8" clearance. You should be all set then. :good2:
Thanks to all, esp. dieseldhadow. BRILLIANT! It's a belt guard.
I'll try it out tonight.
And I'll check the fuel system as well.

Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
Jason is correct, the belt should go between that bolt and the pulley. That bolt is more or less a belt guide.

BTW, I moved this to the regular Lawn and Garden section as the "Vintage" section is only for the tractors listed in the description.

Welcome to GTT.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,385 Posts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts