Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I’m awaiting the delivery of a Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett model. It’s a compact pellet smoker/ grill that runs on 12 volt power. I’ve done a little research and found a whole lot of people recommending it over the compact Traeger unit. Since I’m just venturing into the world of smoking and only cooking for myself or maybe one other person I didn’t want to make a huge investment in a large unit right off the bat. This should allow me to get started and see what other features or functions I might want later on, but do y’all have any advice for a first timer with one of these pellet grills?

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Don't look at me. I use a 1960s red Weber Kettle.:unknown:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I passed on ribs the last time I was at Applebee's because the InstaPot ribs are so great,,,

I will be following along, as I would like to use a smoker,, but, I do not know what for?? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I passed on ribs the last time I was at Applebee's because the InstaPot ribs are so great,,,

I will be following along, as I would like to use a smoker,, but, I do not know what for?? :dunno:
Burnt ends. :yes: that what you learn to use one for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
That's a nice looking pellet grill with a lot of features for the price!! :good2: And, it includes wifi and, apparently, a meat temperature probe? Nice!

I read a couple of reviews and it says that this grill will hold THREE RACKS of baby backs. I think that I'm heading to Wyoming to finally meet Blake! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Don't look at me. I use a 1960s red Weber Kettle.:unknown:
My red 1968 vintage model bit the dirt a couple years ago; the legs came loose and it collapsed. It was a lot thicker metal than the new ones, and I like the old-style bottom vents much better. Kept the top, and used it on the bottom of my new one.

Couple of good BBQ/Smoker websites.

https://eggheadforum.com/

http://www.thesmokering.com/

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts

No grill yet, but pellets are here.
The "Oak-Hickory-Mesquite" is pretty close to what I use in my BGE. Good combo. I don't know how it would work for low temperatures; Mesquite can be quite powerful. I never cook much below 225 F, so it works perfect for me. Of course I don't use the pellets in the Egg, but I'm assuming that the taste would be similar.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

This arrived yesterday. It didn’t work out of the box, a wire had come off the 12 volt plug inside. Probably just vibrated off in shipping. Got that plugged back in and everything seems to be working. It says to give it half an hour at 350+ empty to burn off any potential residue from manufacturing before use.

It’s really, really strange to have to plug my grill in, or press buttons on it, or set the temperature. I’m used to a very basic charcoal grill, this thing is something else. I’m planning to do steaks tonight after it finishes the initial burn in.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
So, how did the steaks turn out?

I have a pit boss myself and like it.
Turn up the heat, and you can "grill" dogs/burgers just like a gas/charcoal.
Keep the heat low, you get that slow cook w/smokey flavor.

The pellets you use will have more affect on the smoke flavor than anything else (besides temp/time of course)

If you can cook it in the oven, you can cook it in the grill, generally with a similar temp/time, but with much better flavor (IMO)

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not bad but not perfect, my own fault for letting them go a little long. I’m used to doing steak in a cast iron skillet and steaks done on this look a lot different. They turned an almost red color at 450*, flavor was good but they ended up closer to medium well than medium rare. I’m planning some pork ribs and a roast in the very near future, will report back.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Not bad but not perfect, my own fault for letting them go a little long. I’m used to doing steak in a cast iron skillet and steaks done on this look a lot different. They turned an almost red color at 450*, flavor was good but they ended up closer to medium well than medium rare. I’m planning some pork ribs and a roast in the very near future, will report back.
For big chunks of meat, like a roast, you best get yourself a digital thermometer. They are lifesavers. For ribs, it's more of an art...time/temperature thing. I cook my babybacks at 250 for 2 and 1/2 hours, on direct heat and they come out great. Spare ribs will be more like 3 and 1/2, or on the Weber smoker, 4 hours.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
My experience with steaks:
Start with steaks completely thawed.
30 min @ ~200* (or smoke setting, lowest you have)
Pull steaks, increase temp to 400.
Once grill at temp, place steaks back on. Approx 1 minute per side, then pull. My pit boss has a slide I can open to "flame kiss" them, which I do at this point.
With a 1.5" thick steak, they come out med rare.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I cooked a "Cowboy" steak on my BGE, but it was as much like a roast as it was a steak. It was maybe 2 and 1/2 or maybe 3 inches thick. I ran the heat up high on the egg, and seared it on both sides. I took it off, cooled the smoker down
to 250 and put it back on for about an hour. It turned out medium as I recall, and very tasty.

I cook a normal steak, say a ribeye that is about 1 and 1/2 inches thick on my Weber kettle. I use a medium high heat...not real hot, but hot.. I don't want to burn it up, but I want to it to cook in about 15 minutes. It will turn out medium; knock a couple minutes off that time and it will be medium rare. It's an art, but I can cook as good of a steak that way as any body. In fact, I've had a couple people tell me that I have cooked the best steak they had ever eaten. I of course use my same mixture of smoking woods, and I spray one side with olive oil and add a bit of Montreal steak seasoning. Lemon pepper is good too...I avoid garlic, and I never buy anything but a choice or prime cut of meat so I don't worry about using meat tenderizer.

·
Registered
141 Posts
for perfect steaks, no matter how you are cooking them.... get a digital thermometer! Check out thermoworks. Great stuff!!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
for perfect steaks, no matter how you are cooking them.... get a digital thermometer! Check out thermoworks. Great stuff!!
How about a little elaboration? I only use thermometers on roasts and briskets; never tried them for steaks. Off hand, would seem to be a bit unhandy if you were cooking, say four steaks at one time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts