Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
LX172, X720 with a 60D 7-Iron Deck, and a Kubota BX 25 TLB.
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago, the better half requested a Stihl battery operated chainsaw. So I got her one. It's an MS140 and takes Stihl "AK" Series batteries. (lithium ion)
We take that little saw and toss it in the dump box on the side by side and trim out fallen limbs and brush on our trail system at the recreational property.

Of course, we have a large gas powered Stihl chainsaw for serious wood cutting.

That tiny battery chainsaw is a wonderful piece of equipment! Every time I use it I am amazed with the power and duration of use.

I noticed Stihl sells a non self propelled 19" rotary lawnmower that uses the same "AK" series batteries. Allegedly, 1/2 acre of mowing per battery.
So we got one. We haven't used it yet as grass season has not started here in the North East.

But it sure looks like the ticket for trimming around obstacles/edging and mowing the steep banks alongside the road that the X700 struggles at doing.
I've kept an old JD LX172 riding mower around and operational just for mowing the roadside banks.

I will report back after getting some run time with the new mower.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I noticed Stihl sells a non self propelled 19" rotary lawnmower that uses the same "AK" series batteries. Allegedly, 1/2 acre of mowing per battery. So we got one. We haven't used it yet as grass season has not started here in the North East.
Good choice! I have the 21 inch AP-series version of that mower (RMA510). It does a really good job and has exceptional battery life.
My only complaint is the piece of foam on the handle. It's too fragile to last very long. (I mow along a wooden fence and bumps are unavoidable.) I'm hoping my wife can make something better that fastens around the handle with Velcro. I would use heavy duty shrink tubing if I didn't have to disassemble so many pieces to slide it on. Maybe I'll eventually do that anyway.

·
Premium Member
19,590 Posts
We bought a RMA 510 self propelled last summer.. have really been impressed with this mower. We also have a Toro gas engine 20" self propelled . With the Stihl we usually mulch the front yard. with the Toro most of the time it was side discharged. A little pricey but in IMO well worth the money , plus now my wife can mow with out me being here to start the mower.

Reactions: Tlyons83

·
Registered
Deere 3520 & X500, Ferris IS2100Z
134 Posts
I have a Stihl battery saw that I carry in the back of my SxS's and am quite satisfied with it. I can be done cutting a small fallen tree across a trail in the time it takes me to start the gas saw, warm it up, and off choke.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
I have 4 Stihl AP tools and love all of them. I even ran over my blower and it still runs like a champ lol

·
Registered
277 Posts
My MSA120 goes with me everywhere. On my gator, tractor and my pickup. It is always within reach!
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Window

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The wife loves her MSA-120. Stihl replaced the head power unit (everything but chain and bar) under warranty. She wore out 2 Kobalt 40v ones before going to the Stihl.

I bought a Ryobi 40v 14incher, but it has the bad thing about cutting out when the cutting is real tough. The Stihl does not do this.

The Stihl gobbles chain oil though.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Don't mean to get off the chainsaw topic, but does anyone have any experience with the Stihl SH 86 leaf vacuum/blower?
My wife is thinking of one to get the leaves out of the bushes.

Product Toy Output device Input device Font

·
Registered
587 Posts
I've owned a SH 86-C for about 15 years. Works well in vacuum mode, shreds the leaves down, and will pack that bag tight. It has never failed to perform as expected, and the rubber cushioned handles are real nice to use. I think the new ones have a pleated paper element air filter that mine does not.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,436 Posts
I bought a Ryobi 40v 14incher, but it has the bad thing about cutting out when the cutting is real tough. The Stihl does not do this.

The Stihl gobbles chain oil though.
The Ryobi battery can't handle the load and it trips a circuit breaker type of response within the battery. Some you have to push the power indicator button to reset the battery, others just "reset" on their own after the load stops. But it is very annoying for sure. I was using a neighbors to help them and after half a dozen times the thing stopped, I went home and got my Echo battery tools so I didn't have to keep stopping and pushing the button which displays the battery power level to resume cutting.............

Reactions: Treefarmer
1 - 11 of 11 Posts