Green Tractor Talk banner

141 - 160 of 184 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,542 Posts
Looks good from here. Big day today. (y)
And here I thought only Mdrew and I worked. ;)

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I've used the cheap concrete blocks before but one could argue they don't have the same psi strength as the concrete around it. I used welded wire in the flat and rebar in the turndown on my shop. The blocks were nice because they didn't move.

View attachment 778336

View attachment 778337
We used many types of products for chairs over the years...probably concrete bricks the most...to detractors I would ask if the plastic chairs made weak spots in the concrete also.....probably a argument could be made for wire chairs and slab bolsters.....but all is good just making a comment

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
Very Unpredictable Disposition
14,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Yesterday was none-stop.

Pumper truck arrive 30 minutes late. First concrete truck(with 1cu yd of grout, to primp pump and lines) arriver 45 minutes later.

The next truck, loaded with 10 yards of 5000 psi concrete showed up.

They moved 10 yards and I had to call for the second concrete truck for another 10 yards.

These guys are a kick to watch them do their magic. All I can say is, they love their job. This is a sideline gig for them, as they all have regular 4day/10hr. jobs and are off on Fridays to make extra spending money.

They enjoyed the shrimp stew, potato salad, corn, sweet tea and bunt cake Mrs. FW served for lunch. We also fed the truck drivers. (y)

After the second 10 yards were poured, I called back for an additional 4 yards.

Below is what the slab looked like after the finishers left.

The finishers are at a friends house today, pouring/finishing a slab for a pool-house.
I'll be joining them shortly in a supervisory position only.

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
(y)

Gizmo has that house done. He could come help build if you have that kind of time. If Mel doesn't come with him you'll need a long log chain, there's drawbacks to everything.

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Speaking of shrimp, I had 10 medium sized last week and man oh man did my gout come alive!!!! SOB and I love shrimp. tart Cherries work in less then two days along with urcinol. I'll suffer because I'm a glutton for punishment!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Now it's looking like a start of a work shop Michael👍👍

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Looks like they did a good job. I’m glad it’s moving along for you. I’ve enjoyed the progress after I found the thread. Did you scratch the date in it somewhere? I always do.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,542 Posts
Gizmo has that house done. He could come help build if you have that kind of time. If Mel doesn't come with him you'll need a long log chain, there's drawbacks to everything.
Buzz off. 🤣

·
Old Pa-pa
12,848 Posts
Could be a problem, Giz like you, only likes to build in the dead of winter when snow is falling, where
FW builds in the spring and summer.
That FW is a sly one.............:)

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
Could be worse; he could be building in northern Maine where you have winter and July!

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
Could be a problem, Giz like you, only likes to build in the dead of winter when snow is falling, where
FW builds in the spring and summer.
That FW is a sly one.............:)
Of course one could argue that you’re favoring him because he’s the bus driver.

Lookin good Mike. I see a smile on that young mans face with the muck rake. No doubt you’re personality rubbed off on them. Musta been a good time. Great to see it getting going.

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
I believe the dude was smiling because Mike had a king sized frosty one for him as he was almost ready! And what you said too. OR, he could have fallen out of his lawn chair! He had plenty of time to have one or two....

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
14,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
The younger smiling finisher(39yo), was laughing at the stories of my younger days. He said he didn't think white folks would do such things. :)

They would not drink(beer) until the job was complete and then only had one beer each. They said I was drinking enough for all of them. :ROFLMAO:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
14,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
I removed most of the form boards today. There is only one left to be remove.
The form boards are 2"x12"x 10' and 2"x10"x10'. I'll remove the nails and screws and repurpose them for later.
The clay soil is hard as a rock. I pulled my tiller out of the portable shed to till(break up) the clay. The tiller hasn't been used in at least 2 years, so I had to disassemble the carb and clean it. The main jet was clogged. I got it cleared and reassembled. It started first pull. (y) I tilled the clay to make it more manageable to spread with a hand rake. I didn't take any pics today. I might post a couple tomorrow. Rain is on it's way here, so I may not get a chance to continue until later in the week.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I removed most of the form boards today. There is only one left to be remove.
The form boards are 2"x12"x 10' and 2"x10"x10'. I'll remove the nails and screws and repurpose them for later.
The clay soil is hard as a rock. I pulled my tiller out of the portable shed to till(break up) the clay. The tiller hasn't been used in at least 2 years, so I had to disassemble the carb and clean it. The main jet was clogged. I got it cleared and reassembled. It started first pull. (y) I tilled the clay to make it more manageable to spread with a hand rake. I didn't take any pics today. I might post a couple tomorrow. Rain is on it's way here, so I may not get a chance to continue until later in the week.
did you have any trouble with the form boards? .....we usually removed or loosened them within a day to two while the concrete was hard but still green.....

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
14,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
did you have any trouble with the form boards? .....we usually removed or loosened them within a day to two while the concrete was hard but still green.....
I tamped the boards the day after to loosen them.
Because of all the rain we were getting at the time, I was having problems with mud washing into the footing from under the boards. The boards moved off the string-line also. I drove 3' stakes in-between the 2' stakes and added kickers. Once the rainy days past and the clay dried, they took a hold of the stakes pretty good.
I backed out the 3" screws holding the stakes to the boards, wrapped a choker around them and yanked them out with the 750(thanks to Mrs. FW(y) for the help).
That left the form boards loose. I needed to move the dirt that was up against the outside of the form boards anyway, so I dug a small trench next to then and lifted the boards out by hand.

141 - 160 of 184 Posts