Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago, I bought a new 54" blade for plowing snow because sometimes the blower is just too much and I thought the blade would be perfect for the lighter snows.

I had the chance to try it out the other evening and noticed something. It's still early in the winter season and the gravel driveway has not frozen solid yet. I had set the skids/shoes so the bottom of the blade was about 1½" off the driveway. I noticed that the original John-Deere shoes were really digging into the gravel driveway, and worse, when I pushed the snow back into the yard there was grass wrapping around the shoe... It will be interesting to see how much repair that's going to take this spring.

I looked for a better system and I think I found it. I haven't had a chance to test them out yet but it's supposed to snow a lot this weekend and will post my opinion soon.

I ordered a set of Heavy Hitch John Deere Plow Shoes on Tuesday and they arrived today in the mail. They were shipped "priority mail", came packed in a sturdy box and look great. With out testing them, I think they will work out just fine. The base is a big chunk of cast steel about 3½" in diameter. I think that will help with the grass ripping and keep them from digging in so deep in the gravel (in float mode) like the original, narrow, J-D shoes did.

Pictures might speak louder than words here....

DSCF7710.JPG

DSCF7713.JPG

DSCF7714.JPG

DSCF7715.JPG

Now I'm just waiting for the snow storm that's supposed to be here tonight!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
A few days ago, I bought a new 54" blade for plowing snow because sometimes the blower is just too much and I thought the blade would be perfect for the lighter snows.

I had the chance to try it out the other evening and noticed something. It's still early in the winter season and the gravel driveway has not frozen solid yet. I had set the skids/shoes so the bottom of the blade was about 1½" off the driveway. I noticed that the original John-Deere shoes were really digging into the gravel driveway, and worse, when I pushed the snow back into the yard there was grass wrapping around the shoe... It will be interesting to see how much repair that's going to take this spring.

I looked for a better system and I think I found it. I haven't had a chance to test them out yet but it's supposed to snow a lot this weekend and will post my opinion soon.

I ordered a set of Heavy Hitch John Deere Plow Shoes on Tuesday and they arrived today in the mail. They were shipped "priority mail", came packed in a sturdy box and look great. With out testing them, I think they will work out just fine. The base is a big chunk of cast steel about 3½" in diameter. I think that will help with the grass ripping and keep them from digging in so deep in the gravel (in float mode) like the original, narrow, J-D shoes did.

Pictures might speak louder than words here....

View attachment 282002

View attachment 282010

View attachment 282018

View attachment 282026

Now I'm just waiting for the snow storm that's supposed to be here tonight!

Yea them stock ones are poop. What's usually left after the J end wears off makes a pretty handy scraper. I use an old one to scrape the old grass off the bottom of my string trimmer guard. The ground off end is sharp enough to cut you.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,701 Posts
ErikR, Definitely better but don't be disappointed when one of the new shoes goes under ground and peels sod like it's alright. It's extremely hard to plow snow early on with no frozen ground.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
If the shoes don't fully solve your problem the solution is to add a guard to your blade until things freeze up.

Some use PVC slit with a saw and slipped over the cutting edge, 2" or so does nicely. Other materials might be better but are harder to come by, HDPE utility bore pipe is my choice, some even use EMT (rigid metal) conduit and tack it in place temporarily.

There are other threads here about it if you search for them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I know it's a little late or real early but has any one used these they look pretty descent and you can replace the rubber bottom pc. when it wears down also looking at the heavy hitch ones but they don't seem to be avail .??

s-l1600.jpg

·
Registered
319 Posts
I know it's a little late or real early but has any one used these they look pretty descent and you can replace the rubber bottom pc. when it wears down also looking at the heavy hitch ones but they don't seem to be avail .??

View attachment 344937
The Heavy Hitch cast iron shoes are just out of stock for the season...they were a big hit and we sold out! We'll have more come October:bigthumb:

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
that's good to hear-Heavy Hitch.:bigthumb: will u announce it-when u have them in stock, come October. :good2:

·
Registered
123 Posts
So with winter on it's way I will be in the market for some new shoes how well have these held up and what is the price ??:plowsnow:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So with winter on it's way I will be in the market for some new shoes how well have these held up and what is the price ??:plowsnow:

I put them on towards the start of last winter. I used the plow about 1/2 the time and the blower for the other half. My driveway is gravel, but I also made quite a few passes down the paved road in front of my house. To my eye, the only wear I see is the paint off the bottom and some scratching. The still stand straight on the counter top, so they're not wearing crookedly... Last winter was not exactly a record breaker as far as snow goes, but the did get a workout.

DSCF8433.JPG

DSCF8434.JPG

DSCF8435.JPG

DSCF8437.JPG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts