Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased 5 acres of property that is next to me. I have been somewhat taking care of it for a guy that I've known for a long time. I run off people that shouldn't be there and plant it every year for deer and turkey.

It has a small pond that has grown a bunch of trees around it and the lower field has gotten a little smaller because of the encroaching trees. I plan to clear those out with my mini ex and burn. Looks like I'll be adding a bush hog to the list of attachments soon. I'll start looking at used first.

Anyway, it'll take some time so I'll update here as I get some work done.

Plant Plant community Sky Green Leaf

Plant Branch Natural landscape Terrestrial plant Twig

Plant Plant community Natural landscape Branch Tree

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
That’s great you could get that property being it is next to yours.

I remember way back when we first bought this place. We were broker than broke then.

Here comes the guy who owns the next place north of us. There is a piece of property between us - when he sold his place the new owners didn’t want it.

Talk about scrape and scramble but we were able to pull it off. Best thing we ever did!

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I know why he's selling. He's 82 yrs old and still gets around great but his mind is slipping. It's awful. Still goes into town and eats breakfast at the same restaurant every Friday and Saturday morning. Everyone knows him and has been nothing but great for the community and everyone he knows.

He said he's trying to wrap up loose ends and sell off his smaller property and he's keeping the 220 acres next to the 5 I bought in a trust for his grandkids. He said they won't be able to do anything with it for 30 yrs after he's gone. He sold me the 5 acres for a 1/4 of what it's really valued at. He said thanks and he knew it would be kept up until he was gone. I thanked him multiple times and he just kept saying he was glad I was buying it.

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
3,501 Posts
@Big He sold it for its full value to him - money might be 25% of the cost, but knowing who it's going to and how it'll be kept for the remainder of his time- that's worth the remaining 75% of value to him. II don't doubt you'll do right by him. 👍

·
Registered
383 Posts
The older generation are cut cut from a different fabric. My oldest uncle passed away last year, He never had any money so he thought. He wouldn’t even buy a truck because he couldn’t afford it. Needless to say my daughter and many other nieces and nephews don’t need to worry about college money. He took care of all of them.

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The older generation are cut cut from a different fabric.
He definitely is. He made allot of money during his time and everyone knows him some way or another. Many know him because he was a right hand man of a very rich and prominent man from the Greenville area. John D Hollingsworth. Hollingsworth was once listed in the 400 wealthiest men in America and owned the most land in SC at one point. I have heard ALLOT of stories and will cherish the talks I've had with him, and hopefully continue to have for some time still.
Crazy how sharp and quickly he can remember the past but the few years closest are going. He once said getting old ain't for wussies. (Clean version)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Crazy how sharp and quickly he can remember the past but the few years closest are going. He once said getting old ain't for wussies. (Clean version)
Yep, My uncle fell and hit his head a few years back. They flew him to a hospital close to where I work so I went to see him. He told me he was walking on rocks by the bay and slipped. That was a true incident but it happened 30 years prior to me even being born. He told the nurse he had just talked to my pops, he had been gone for 4 years at that point. Sad how the mind disappears. The last time I saw him in person, took him to eat because he told me he hadn’t eaten in a week. I don’t know if that was true or not but I took him out anyway.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I can relate Coaltrain. In 1976 I let my EX-Wife's Grandfather talk me into buying 12 acres. I had just gotten out of high school and 8 months in the Air Force. Payments was $62.50 per month. That was the hardest money to come up with each. It worked out and I added additional 100 acres over the next 13 Years. We sold the place when she became an EX; paid everything off and set up trust funds for the 3 kids. She did not get anything and I did not get anything; except starting of deit free. About 4 Years I was able to buy 76 acres back.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
I can relate Coaltrain. In 1976 I let my EX-Wife's Grandfather talk me into buying 12 acres. I had just gotten out of high school and 8 months in the Air Force. Payments was $62.50 per month. That was the hardest money to come up with each. It worked out and I added additional 100 acres over the next 13 Years. We sold the place when she became an EX; paid everything off and set up trust funds for the 3 kids. She did not get anything and I did not get anything; except starting of deit free. About 4 Years I was able to buy 76 acres back.
When we talked to the guy selling we asked for a few days to think about it.

For the next 4 days, every evening after supper my wife and I walked out to the property and sat there on a hill. We talked and talked. The biggest thing was to get a “feel” for the property and what we were doing.

Having just gotten into a 20 year mortgage and broke from the down payment, filling the 1000 gallon fuel tank (heat)….we knew we wanted it but could we afford it?

At the end we took a big chance and offered 1/2 what he was asking. That was tough to do because around here folks will get insulted by something like that and walk away and never offer it again.

It was meant to be I guess as the next day he called and said OK.

It’s been a godsend since. They sold the place and then strangers to us bought it. Without that buffer between us it could have been bad. The place has since been sold and bought again.

We value our privacy over everything. We can’t see any buildings or neighbors from our house and want to keep it that way!

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Towed my mini excavator home from in town lay down yard and did some work.

Got most of the trees I wanted to clear out cleared today. Even pushed a few that had grown up in the flat area. I'll disc up the widened flat area to try and cut up some roots my mini left behind.

Next up is push up the debris in a little neater pile for burning. Maybe I'll get the creek crossing fixed if the ground dries up enough to get a dump truck in.

To be continued....

Plant Wood Natural landscape Trunk Tree

Tire Plant community Plant Wheel Automotive tire

Plant Plant community Tire Sky Natural landscape

Plant community Plant Natural landscape Tree Vegetation

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Congrats on the new land.

I too bought some adjoining property 6 years ago. It had a 40 plus year stand of pines and was choked with sweetgums. Previous owner had been paying unimproved residential tax on it the whole time. Took me a year to get it rezoned timberland so I could cut it. I have been clearing and replanting ever since. I am planting as sparse as I can get away with to keep the lower taxes an make it neat.

·
Premium Member
2,830 Posts
Very Nice!!!
Congrats!!!

Been trying to buy a few more acres off my neighbor for well over a year now.
Getting land bought next to you can quite often be real challenge. LOL
If I ever get it bought, it will be well worth celebrating.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
Very Nice!!!
Congrats!!!

Been trying to buy a few more acres off my neighbor for well over a year now.
Getting land bought next to you can quite often be real challenge. LOL
If I ever get it bought, it will be well worth celebrating.
I am at the opposite end of that situation now.

The piece of property we bought soon after we bought our place borders a nice camp to my north. This piece once belonged to that camp but the guy who bought it back then didn‘t want it.

Now it has a new owner again and this guy wants to buy that piece. I don’t blame him as the nice A-frame cabin is on less than an acre. And this piece that I now own goes up to only about 100’ from the cabin.

Aesthetically this piece belongs to that cabin. But as nice as the guy is I just don’t want to part with it. I keep thinking that if he sells it before our time is done, then a new owner builds something on that piece, I will loose our privacy. As it is now I can’t see any other building from our place. If someone built something there I would never forgive myself.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I am at the opposite end of that situation now.

The piece of property we bought soon after we bought our place borders a nice camp to my north. This piece once belonged to that camp but the guy who bought it back then didn‘t want it.

Now it has a new owner again and this guy wants to buy that piece. I don’t blame him as the nice A-frame cabin is on less than an acre. And this piece that I now own goes up to only about 100’ from the cabin.

Aesthetically this piece belongs to that cabin. But as nice as the guy is I just don’t want to part with it. I keep thinking that if he sells it before our time is done, then a new owner builds something on that piece, I will loose our privacy. As it is now I can’t see any other building from our place. If someone built something there I would never forgive myself.
I'm in the regret phase of not buying a piece of land now.

I was offered the land around me for $3750 per acre in the 80s. I couldn't afford it and thought it was outrageous.

6 years ago I paid $9200 per acre for part of it. The rest went on the market soon after for $10000 per acre.

I figured it would sit a while and I would low ball them. It sold at asking price in a week.

A couple months ago a realtor offered them 20 grand an acre. I am watching two houses being constructed on it now.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
I'm in the regret phase of not buying a piece of land now.

I was offered the land around me for $3750 per acre in the 80s. I couldn't afford it and thought it was outrageous.

6 years ago I paid $9200 per acre for part of it. The rest went on the market soon after for $10000 per acre.

I figured it would sit a while and I would low ball them. It sold at asking price in a week.

A couple months ago a realtor offered them 20 grand an acre. I am watching two houses being constructed on it now.
What a shame….

Yeah, when that property for us was offered there was no way we could afford it at any price. But somehow I once again pulled a rabbit out of the hat so to speak.

Land values around here have been stagnant for many years - nobody wants to live here which is fine with me. There are no jobs and most of the state employees who retired have passed on.

But now there seems to be a surge of rental places around me which I guess may raise values some. Don’t really care about that as long as I maintain our privacy.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Drug my mini home from in town lay down yard and did some work.

Got most of the trees I wanted to clear out cleared today. Even pushed a few that had grown up in the flat area. I'll disc up the widened flat area to try and cut up some roots my mini left behind.

Next up is push up the debris in a little neater pile for burning. Maybe I'll get the creek crossing fixed if the ground dries up enough to get a dump truck in.

To be continued....

View attachment 817892

View attachment 817893

View attachment 817894

View attachment 817895
Looks good. Opened up that pond real nice. Looks like nice quiet little spot. Congrats

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Nice spot. Where’s the duck blind goin?

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No ducks there. Just frogs and turtles

1 - 20 of 36 Posts