Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I braved the I-69 construction traffic to pick up this used Woods BB60X. I found it craigslist the other day and I got it for a reasonable price.

Its actually in pretty good condition. It has a few dents in the rear skirt, but other than that, its all good. It was only used for light weeds and grass. It has a slip clutch on it, which is nice.

IMG_20170304_073937672[1].jpg

IMG_20170304_074002303[1].jpg

I still need to slip the clutch, install new tail wheel bushings and adjust the cut height. I tried it out after I got it home last night on some weeds, and boy is it nice! Its very smooth and quiet, and it cuts so much better than the old international. :good2:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Looks like you found a good deal, hard to find used cutters in that good of shape:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
looks good :good2:- how's the blades?

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Nice find. :bigthumb:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
741 Posts
You will love it. Quite frankly, I mowed down several stands of garbage trees that far exceeded the 1.5" diameter duty rating in a field that hadn't seen a brush hog in 20+ years. I really pushed the limits of my old Ford 3000 and the BB72. Woods rotary cutters have a well earned reputation for durability.

I also built this simple little dolly to maneuver mine around when off the tractor.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got some nice playtime yesterday. I had a field of goldenrod stems and wild onions that needed cut. I got a cat.2-3 toplink bushing at tractor supply to use in the tail wheel (works perfectly, btw) and some new 7/8" lift pins. I hooked it all up, adjusted the tail wheel height and slipped the clutch. A few observations...

1) WOW the cut is nice. good and clean but likes thicker material
2) This thing is really loud. Hearing protection is a must. I will say that the sound is only when cutting, not just spinning.
3) the lift pin setup is kind of strange. i love how easy it is to hook up, but in operation it does tend to slide side to side a little bit, which is not really an issue. Its nice to be able to hook up in a few seconds rather that minutes.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I got some nice playtime yesterday. I had a field of goldenrod stems and wild onions that needed cut. I got a cat.2-3 toplink bushing at tractor supply to use in the tail wheel (works perfectly, btw) and some new 7/8" lift pins. I hooked it all up, adjusted the tail wheel height and slipped the clutch. A few observations...

1) WOW the cut is nice. good and clean but likes thicker material
2) This thing is really loud. Hearing protection is a must. I will say that the sound is only when cutting, not just spinning.
3) the lift pin setup is kind of strange. i love how easy it is to hook up, but in operation it does tend to slide side to side a little bit, which is not really an issue. Its nice to be able to hook up in a few seconds rather that minutes.
I don't understand why this thing would make so much noise. Mine is quiet as can be unless I'm mowing trees/brush. I assume there's oil in the gearbox?

The lift pins---I assume you're using Cat 2. Mine takes a long Cat 2 pin with a smaller cat 1 end that goes through the inner ears of the mount. I found that there's enough room between the mount ears for some cat2 to cat 3 bushings which I use as spacers to keep my lift arms from sliding back and forth. I also added some gussets to the outer mounting ears to keep them from getting bent. I'm kinda rough on my equipment sometimes.

100_6652.JPG DSCN1378.JPG

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't understand why this thing would make so much noise. Mine is quiet as can be unless I'm mowing trees/brush. I assume there's oil in the gearbox?

The lift pins---I assume you're using Cat 2. Mine takes a long Cat 2 pin with a smaller cat 1 end that goes through the inner ears of the mount. I found that there's enough room between the mount ears for some cat2 to cat 3 bushings which I use as spacers to keep my lift arms from sliding back and forth. I also added some gussets to the outer mounting ears to keep them from getting bent. I'm kinda rough on my equipment sometimes.

View attachment 328106 View attachment 328114
What I meant was, that when i'm cutting old goldenrod stems and small brush, it makes a ton of noise. It sounds like, well, goldenrod hitting metal. my old international made a lot of gearbox noise but almost no cutting noise. It does have oil in it, and it is quiet as can be when its just mowing grass or running under no load.

lift pins- cat.1. it takes long (6" i think?) cat 1 pins. I like your idea of using bushings. I don't think the gusset would be necessary here because i think the sway bars on the tractor would bend before those ears did!:laugh:

Reactions: mtrmn and BigJim55

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was having a little issue with uneven cutting. What had happened was the drivers side rubber rock guard got ripped length-wise so it was only half as tall as the passenger side guard. The grass I was mowing was 3-4.5' tall stems. What I discovered was is that the rubber guards are bending the stems over and holding the stems down, and the blade would just skim over the stem. Once the cutter moved off the top of the grass stem, it would pop back up and the seed head would get chopped off. Since one guard was shorter than the other, the grass wouldn't get bent down as far on one side, and would get cut correctly, but the grass on the other side would not. I fixed this by removing the rubber flaps, and it sure did make a difference.

The flaps before removal;
IMG_20170522_123341222[1].jpg

and after;
IMG_20170522_123818167[1].jpg

Here is a comparison of the cut. On the right is with flaps, and the left-most cut, right be hind the tractor, without;
IMG_20170522_154131912[1].jpg

Keep in mind I do not blame the mower for not cutting those stems, as I do have abnormally tall grass stems in some places.:laugh:

Reactions: Bubber and BigJim55
1 - 12 of 12 Posts