Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still in the midst of our tree removal cleanup our little Husky 142 is really acting up. Wears me out trying to hot start it. It's been a great saw for 15 years and I'll probably try to get it fixed, but I picked up a Stihl Farm boss today. Played around with it some this afternoon and it's a whole different animal. Got carried away cutting trees down and added to the mess we are trying to clean up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
692 Posts
jh160 -

It's hard to go wrong with Stihl; well built, user friendly, and generally very reliable. We have numerous saws, trimmers, hedge clippers, blowers, and a nice Kombi set. My SIL and husband own the oldest Stihl dealer in the U.S. in Beaver, Ohio - they can fix Stihls both old and new, as well as other brands.

Brian

Still in the midst of our tree removal cleanup our little Husky 142 is really acting up. Wears me out trying to hot start it. It's been a great saw for 15 years and I'll probably try to get it fixed, but I picked up a Stihl Farm boss today. Played around with it some this afternoon and it's a whole different animal. Got carried away cutting trees down and added to the mess we are trying to clean up.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I do love that new saw smell! :bigthumb:
It doesn't take long to put a couple tons of wood on the ground when you get going, my back hurts just thinking of the processing after that.

·
Registered
12,769 Posts
jh160 -

It's hard to go wrong with Stihl; well built, user friendly, and generally very reliable. We have numerous saws, trimmers, hedge clippers, blowers, and a nice Kombi set. My SIL and husband own the oldest Stihl dealer in the U.S. in Beaver, Ohio - they can fix Stihls both old and new, as well as other brands.

Brian
i wished ur SIL and husband wasn't that far from my place. or i would haul my boys one Stihl out to them to try and fix his. he bought it new several yrs ago. while not in use-it leaks the chain oil out in the carrying case-badly-i mean to empty. he's taken it to 2 different fellas-one a reputable stihl dealer who just told him to make sure he runs it out of oil before he puts it away.:banghead:

when my boy bought this saw-he bought it at a Napa store here locally-they the parts counter guy who was supposedly trained to work on them-tried 3 times to fix the leak-finally gave up on it. i told my boy to take it to a regular dealer-cause he was supposed to have the extended warranty by buying extra oil at the time(2cyle oil in the gas) but after the let down at what i thought was a good dealer-kinda gave him the brush off-which i think came from him buying it at the napa store-which is since closed here locally. nice saw-runs good-just leaks bar oil out while sitting in the case.

i would imginae it would take a new bar oil case on the saw to fix the leak? the one place told him they had a bad run of them like his? ever hear of something like that? can u post the name of the dealer u spoke off? maybe i could call him-and make arrangements to carry it out to them later this summer. would be nice to get my saw back in my garage.:laugh: thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i wished ur SIL and husband wasn't that far from my place. or i would haul my boys one Stihl out to them to try and fix his. he bought it new several yrs ago. while not in use-it leaks the chain oil out in the carrying case-badly-i mean to empty. he's taken it to 2 different fellas-one a reputable stihl dealer who just told him to make sure he runs it out of oil before he puts it away.:banghead:

when my boy bought this saw-he bought it at a Napa store here locally-they the parts counter guy who was supposedly trained to work on them-tried 3 times to fix the leak-finally gave up on it. i told my boy to take it to a regular dealer-cause he was supposed to have the extended warranty by buying extra oil at the time(2cyle oil in the gas) but after the let down at what i thought was a good dealer-kinda gave him the brush off-which i think came from him buying it at the napa store-which is since closed here locally. nice saw-runs good-just leaks bar oil out while sitting in the case.

i would imginae it would take a new bar oil case on the saw to fix the leak? the one place told him they had a bad run of them like his? ever hear of something like that? can u post the name of the dealer u spoke off? maybe i could call him-and make arrangements to carry it out to them later this summer. would be nice to get my saw back in my garage.:laugh: thanks.
The oil pump/check valve is faulty, nothing wrong with the bar. When the check valve sticks or gets dirty the oil gravity drains out of the saw. Not common, but not uncommon. You need a better saw tech. What model is it? If it is a small saw, 170/180/210/250, the oil line could be leaking.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Jim - I sent you a PM with the details.

Brian

Reactions: Fozsey and BigJim55

·
Premium Member
15,364 Posts
Reactions: Fozsey and BigJim55

·
Registered
12,769 Posts
The oil pump/check valve is faulty, nothing wrong with the bar. When the check valve sticks or gets dirty the oil gravity drains out of the saw. Not common, but not uncommon. You need a better saw tech. What model is it? If it is a small saw, 170/180/210/250, the oil line could be leaking.
:dunno:even though he's had it for over 5or 6 yrs-all i know is it's a pretty big one-terrible of me -huh:laugh: i think its something like maybe a 144 something. can't think of the right word right now.:banghead: i haven't gotten involved before because he bought it the napa store-i warned him that something like that might happen-that the parts counter fellas wouldn't know what or how to fix something serious.

Jim - I sent you a PM with the details.

Brian
:thumbup1gif:thank u--we have a funeral to attend to today and evening. boy is working the odd shift this week-so i'll get the size of saw off him this weekend -before he starts on new work week. he's been doing 7 day's now since he started his new welding job. i told him to work while he can.

nope-i have seen or heard of them over the yrs, but never been to them. thanks ET.

Reactions: Fozsey

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
:dunno:even though he's had it for over 5or 6 yrs-all i know is it's a pretty big one-terrible of me -huh:laugh: i think its something like maybe a 144 something.
Possibly a 441. That is about a medium saw, but heavy for its displacement (71cc). I own one and she no leaky, and none of the three other Stihl saws I have owned leaked.
I agree with the others, any COMPETENT technician (or hillbilly such as myself) should be able to figure it out pretty quick.

Reactions: BigJim55 and Fozsey

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts

Nice!
Just got a new MS271 Farm Boss myself.:good2:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Started out years ago with a Husky Rancher 55. Awesome saw for what it was and what I used it for.
Fast forward about 15 years to a new home in the woods and that saw just wasnt getting it done.
Bought a used and massaged Husky 359 (ported, muffler mod, etc) and that thing is a beast.
Also bought a Husky 550XP because it was too good a deal to pass up and thats now my go to saw. Light, powerful, not much I dont need.
I planned to sell the 55, but last tree we dropped, a buddy came by and used it to help us get it cleaned up quick.
For what I could get, its worth its weight as a backup saw. Took the place of my 359 when the cord broke last week on a small after storm cleanup too.
I guess saws are like tractors, never can have too many, lol!

Anyway, all that mess aside, Id be plenty happy running either Stihl or Husky. Both make great saws.
I imagine had I bought a Stihl originally, Id have all Stihl saws.
I had planned to add one when I got the 359, I was going to get a 362, but our local dealer had some problems fixing a fairly easy fix on my neighbors 270, so that turned me off, and without their service, the next closest is over an hour round trip, vs the Husky service center at 10 minutes.

I did just by my youngest the Stihl toy saw, that thing is pretty cool! Maybe one day Daddy with get a Stihl too!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Used it off an on for a few hours today. First pull hot restarts are little miracles. The other saw was kicking my butt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts