Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

As the title says, I am a new owner of a 1025R. I currently have a box blade for it. Next week I am going over to my parents house to help them remove some old beat up wet muddy sod. I've read plenty of horror stories on these forums regarding the lack of ballast and putting to much weight on the front axles.

My plan was to utilize the box blasé to loose up all the soil and then use the FEL to scrap it all up and then dump it over the side of a dump trailer. After reading a couple threads after searching on these forums, I am a little nervous about too much weight on the front axle. I will have the box blade on the whole time which weighs about 290 pounds. If I sit a couple bags of sand on the top of the box blade, will that act as decent enough ballast to help off set weight and take some off the front axle? I know the best option is a ballast box with proper weights, but sometimes you have to improvise and that is what I am searching for.

I have also read a lot about back dragging and grading with the cutting edge of the FEL being damaging on the curl cylinders. Does this apply for having the bucket level on the ground and pushing forward to rip under the sod and then curl the bucket to pull up? Is this type of use of the FEL acceptable or is it just as damaging?

Thank you for the input and help all. I appreciate your productive replies and patience with a newbie!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I had same issue this week working my driveway. I ran the grader scrapper weighs 375lbs with iMatch. And then need to move some stone dust and gravel. I just added my suitcases weights to get me close to 800lbs (2025R eachbractor/loaderbdiffrent use your manual)

I was a little light to manual but the weight is way far back on the grader scraper ( I have a Land Pride).

For normal light work I just keep just 1/2 the recommend ballast and bulk up to mak for heavy work.

·
Premium Member
7,692 Posts
Your loader use is acceptable. It's back dragging that's hard on the curl cylinders. Take it slow and easy and remember it's not a bulldozer.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Loader will not lift enough to damage the front axle.....the more ballast the more stable and safe your tractor will be using the loader....the higher you lift the loader the more prone to instability it will become and the more ballast you would need....if your scrapeing dirt and not lifting over a foot high your not going to have a problem....obviously soft ground and uneven ground adds to issues....I would leave the box blade on and just add temporary weight to it if/as needed....ie sand bags etc....just go slow at first be careful ..carry loads low...and learn..be alert...you can always carry less than full bucket loads....most rookies carry loads far to high for safety always carry them as low to the ground as possible .....dont worry it will be fun

the cylinder damage your talking about can happen when the bucket is at full dump angle and the cylinders are fully extended then backdragging bucket point down with all that leverage in that configuration putting a lot of stress on the cylinder rods, when your bucket is level either going forwards or backwards most of the stress is on the loader frame not the cylinder rods.......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts