Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some new tires for my 1025 yesterday, not because they were worn out but b/c all 4 had multiple plugs and patches from a single bush hog job. I decided to get bar (R1) tires since I don't really use it on grass that much. I have a 3/4 acre garden that is it's primary use. If anyone is interested the are Carlisle Tru-Power. :greentractorride: P6307684.JPG P6307685.JPG

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
awhile back in another thread I said I'd love to see a 1025 with r1 tires...and I like it!

How close are they in height to the r4s? Are they they same so that you don't get driveline wind-up? To my eyes the fronts look a little taller.

You're gonna have a whole lot more traction!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awhile back in another thread I said I'd love to see a 1025 with r1 tires...and I like it!

How close are they in height to the r4s? Are they they same so that you don't get driveline wind-up? To my eyes the fronts look a little taller.

You're gonna have a whole lot more traction!
I measured the old ones and the new ones after they were installed and they are the same height on front and back. I was worried about the same thing. As for the traction I was hoping to get better so now I can dig holes with the rear tires faster LOL

·
Registered
590 Posts
They look very nice and am sooooo envious of your find! Now, someone needs to make R1 ag tires for the 2520, 2720, etc.
I would buy a whole set and maybe even the rims if I had to, just to get the bar tread! I have the R4 and don't like them, I refer to them as "Slicks".

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Themes some diggers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Would love to hear your review of them. I'm very interested in buying a set, I have a hobby/business and in the spring I rototill gardens and work up food plots with plow and disc. Also snowblow in the winter and the R4's are worthless without chains. I use my tractor for lawn mowing for my own lawn so not too concerned of a little damage. Let's hear how they work.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'm surprised so many guys hate the r4s, they aren't as aggressive as r1 ag tires but I haven't had any complaints about mine, even in snow with adequate weight for traction they work fine.

The biggest disadvantage of 1-family tires are their height, in terms of traction. Tall tires = greater distribution of weight, better ability to roll over obstacles or soft ground.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First Use of New Tires

Well I used my tractor today with my new tires and I must say I am pleased. There was a noticeable gain in traction and surprisingly not as bad on grassy areas as I thought they would be. I do believe this is the tires I will be using from now on.:good2::good2::greentractorride::greentractorride:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
Well I used my tractor today with my new tires and I must say I am pleased. There was a noticeable gain in traction and surprisingly not as bad on grassy areas as I thought they would be. I do believe this is the tires I will be using from now on.:good2::good2::greentractorride::greentractorride:
Do you have any hills? Steeper then most? If so, have you mowed going sideways on a hill? That is my problem with AG tires. I don't know if they would be good going sideways on a hill. Looks like they would slide sideways. No grip on the side of the tire. In all other respects I'd love to have AG tires.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Do you have any hills? Steeper then most? If so, have you mowed going sideways on a hill? That is my problem with AG tires. I don't know if they would be good going sideways on a hill. Looks like they would slide sideways. No grip on the side of the tire. In all other respects I'd love to have AG tires.
Nice looking tires and wondering the same thing for hill sides using R1's .For me since I've used the HDAP tires once a week for the past 8 yrs , I'm thinking of changing to them when I need new tires. :dunno:

Yes I have fel and bh , but if I can find a 6 ply thinking that is the way I'm going. By the time the r4's wear out ,who knows may have a seat and frame and new tires instead of just tires.:lol:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No real hills

Nice looking tires and wondering the same thing for hill sides using R1's .For me since I've used the HDAP tires once a week for the past 8 yrs , I'm thinking of changing to them when I need new tires. :dunno:

Yes I have fel and bh , but if I can find a 6 ply thinking that is the way I'm going. By the time the r4's wear out ,who knows may have a seat and frame and new tires instead of just tires.:lol:
Hey Y'all, I don't have any hills to speak of (just a couple of small inclines) that I use my tractor on, most everything is pretty flat where I use it. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts

That's what I'm going to go with too. They make them in 4 ply and that is all the R-4's are. Don't want to spend the money for new tires but this is one time I wish the R-4's would hurry and wear out. :banghead: :laugh:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I ended up, "sipping" my r-4's mainly for winter duty. Have to say, after doing that, they work great in spring, summer, winter and fall in all surfaces and conditions. Only down side due to the added traction is when I roll into the garage there is more dirt on the floor. I'm almost puzzled by the complaints on the r-4's mine have worked great both pre sip and post sip. Have not torn up lawn and have had no traction problems with FEL and 600+ box blade on the back with r4's from sandy dry dirt to absolute mud.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts