Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just received this Bradley smoker thru a thanksgiving raffle at work I'm not a big fan of electric smokers but i will give it a try :thumbup1gif: I have it set up to season the smoker now :bigthumb: it has 6 racks inside and can be controlled on your phone inside the house

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Very nice I have a Cookshack Brand eletric smoker. I love it. Mine has three shelves and holds up to 40lbs of meat, I once fixed pulled pork for my moms 80th birthday and smoked 6 pork butts that totaled 46lbs. I just rubbed them with a Cookshack brand pork rub put them all in the smoker at once at 220 degrees did not open it for 13 hours and they turned out great. I like the ease of use of the eletric smokers. Yours uses the wafers made of wood chips. Enjoy it give it a chance. I have even used mine in the garage in bad weather. :good2:

·
Administrator
17,305 Posts
Cool, when are you doing ribs? I’ll clear my calendar :laugh:

I like elecrtic smokers, the temperature stays more consistent making for a better cook.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, when are you doing ribs? I’ll clear my calendar :laugh:

I like elecrtic smokers, the temperature stays more consistent making for a better cook.
I am planning on ribs next weekend if the rain stays away and I will be using 2lanecruzers # 1 rub recipe :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
doing the ribs today using 2lanes #1 rub recipe I took the lazy way out and found the butt rub so I didn't have to mix it I used pecan oak and hickory wood put them on to late still waiting for them to get done they have been in about 2 hrs so far i just took them off first time smoking anything don't know how they are going to be :laugh: but they look good I rubbed them with some bbq sauce when I took them out

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How'd the ribs taste? :good2:
I had a little to much seasoning on them which made them a little salty but they were very tender and had good flavor :bigthumb:

·
Administrator
17,305 Posts

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
It takes some practice, but glad to hear it wasn't a total loss!

Here is the method I like to use with 2LC's rub and spicy brown mustard, make sure to remove the membrane and follow the "2-2-1" method:

2-2-1 Ribs Smoked on Big Green Egg- Smoking Meat Newsletter
I’ve been using Jeff’s method for two seasons now, definitely not competition ribs but no better way to make them IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I’ve been using Jeff’s method for two seasons now, definitely not competition ribs but no better way to make them IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have never tried those particular methods...I cook mine over direct heat for about 2 and 1/2 hours and I'm done...besides I like mine nice and brown, and the extra smoking time doesn't hurt either.

I used to work with a guy who had a little carry out BBQ restaurant that he ran on the side; he made some of the best spare ribs I have ever eaten. His method was pretty much the way I cook mine, but for one exception. He told me that about half way through the smoking process, he took his ribs out and let them cool to about room temperature and then put them back in to finish them. He said this sealed the smoke flavor in. I have never had the patience to do this, but I think he knew what he was talking about. He also told me that he cooked large batches and froze them. The secret he said, after thawing, was to heat them up very slowly, and that way they retained their just-cooked taste and appearance and were not greasy, as ribs often are after reheating.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I had a little to much seasoning on them which made them a little salty but they were very tender and had good flavor :bigthumb:
Pretty good start; a couple more times and you'll have it down. If you get enthusiastic, you might try my #2 Rubb; it is formulated NOT to be too salty or too sweet or too hot. I use it pretty generously, and for my own use, usually add a bit more garlic. Pork loves garlic!

I also have enough BBQ spice of different brands in my cabinet to BBQ a herd of cattle. I tried a lot of different stuff before I ended up making my own. Biggest complaint was too spicy hot and too salty. I personally do not like my BBQ to taste sweet, so I ended up with my own mix.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Once you get the hang of it, you'll start smoking everything!! :good2: During the warmer months, I'll use my smoker 3 times per week (or more). Sweetie likes chicken and we eat it multiple times per week. I go to our local meat market and buy leg/thigh quarters. I don't have them separate the leg from the thigh - I think the bigger piece of meat stays a lot juicier. Smoke them skin side down for a couple of hours and you'll have some of the juiciest chicken ever.

Sometimes with my ribs, I will finish them off on the grill. Sweetie likes it when I mix in some brown sugar into some BBQ sauce and then I'll put that on the ribs when I put them on the grill. The grilling is mainly just to caramelize the sauce on the ribs. MMMM, Good!!

I saw a guy on "the other tractor forum" that does smoked meat loaf. I'm going to give that a try sometime soon (I hope).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Congratulations on getting that smoker. I have one of the original non-digital models that I love. The ability of it to take a heat setting and keep it exactly constant without constant fussing is a real plus. My favorites are maple-brined turkey and apple wood smoked salmon, but brisket also turns out very nice.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
brisket

got the brisket all trimmed up and in the smoker :thumbup1gif: Im using pecan wood and 2lcs butt rub seasoning thanks to Kenny for all the helpful information next time I will have your special seasoning to try:laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Nice "before" pic!! What about the "after" pics????? :nunu: :laugh:

Care to share the particulars on the brisket and the cook? How big was it? Cooking temp and time? Internal temp when you took it off?

Step-son did a brisket last weekend on his BGE. Looked great, but he said it was a little dry. He took his up to 205 degrees before he took it off. He did wrap it in foil around 170 degrees.

I've tried briskets a couple of times - once on my BGE and once using my gas grill as a smoker. Wasn't happy with either attempt. And a brisket is a pretty expensive failure. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

Care to share the particulars on the brisket and the cook? How big was it? Cooking temp and time? Internal temp when you took it off?

Step-son did a brisket last weekend on his BGE. Looked great, but he said it was a little dry. He took his up to 205 degrees before he took it off. He did wrap it in foil around 170 degrees.

I've tried briskets a couple of times - once on my BGE and once using my gas grill as a smoker. Wasn't happy with either attempt. And a brisket is a pretty expensive failure. :banghead:
Did he let it rest before cutting? Also, I've heard you have to be mind the grain when you are cutting the brisket as well, as that makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Yup - he let it rest. Don't remember the exact amount of time, but it was an hour or two.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts

That's pretty much been my experience with brisket. Last one I cooked was really good; next one I cook I will use the same method...basically as follows:

Select the highest grade of beef you can get...prime, if it's available. I wouldn't ever go below a choice.

Cover brisket in sugar and put in a baking bag over night.

Remove sugar (rinse quickly and dry, or just scrape all you can get off).

Cover with BBQ rub, and cook at 250 degrees indirect heat until 195 to 200 degrees. Remove, cover with aluminum foil and allow to set for a couple hours.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
Looks like a good jerky smoker!

I'm not a fan of those, but I'm a fan of free!

1 - 20 of 113 Posts