Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow can't believe spinner wont fit!!! Bought a John Deere spinner knob for my steering wheel model TY26583. They must have changed the shape of the wheel! I'm thinking knob should be straight up on wheel but because of pear shaped grip on wheel it wants to rotate inward towards center of wheel when you tighten bolts. They give you some rubber and longer bolts but longer bolts won't work either. I have the 2018 1023e so I'm not sure if that's the difference. Anyone else had this problem? I thought Hmm... John Deere tractor, John Deere Knob... NO PROBLEM! I will get longer bolts and play around with rubber shims and see If I can get it to fit snug. It came with 1-1/4 10-32 socket head stainless bolts and I am going to get 1-1/2. :dunno:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I bought probably the same knob and had the same thing happen. I still haven't installed it. I will be watching this post to see if there are any pointers.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,463 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,358 Posts
Wow can't believe spinner wont fit!!! Bought a John Deere spinner knob for my steering wheel model TY26583. They must have changed the shape of the wheel! I'm thinking knob should be straight up on wheel but because of pear shaped grip on wheel it wants to rotate inward towards center of wheel when you tighten bolts. They give you some rubber and longer bolts but longer bolts won't work either. I have the 2018 1023e so I'm not sure if that's the difference. Anyone else had this problem? I thought Hmm... John Deere tractor, John Deere Knob... NO PROBLEM! I will get longer bolts and play around with rubber shims and see If I can get it to fit snug. It came with 1-1/4 10-32 socket head stainless bolts and I am going to get 1-1/2. :dunno:
Didn't have that problem with my new tractor, took the spinner off my 1023 and put it on my 2025 :dunno: but I prefer mine turned slightly in towards the center of the wheel.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I took mine into work and ground the upper and lower clamps diagonally opposite each other to make up for most of the angled axis of the wheel profile.

One guy mentioned that he lightly clamped his with the bolts and drove a screw through the bottom clamp into the steering wheel I think?

Whatever you have to do I think it is worth horsing around. The spin knob is far more comfortable to use in a flat plane with the wheel and I for one really like having one on the tractor.

·
Administrator
20,688 Posts
A simple solution is to cut small sections of the rubber strip they provide and install them in opposite sides where the wheel is flatter. This creates a more round profile which the spinner knob can clamp and be positioned easier. It’s worked for me on all of the wheels I’ve installed them on. :good2:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought probably the same knob and had the same thing happen. I still haven't installed it. I will be watching this post to see if there are any pointers.
Spartazoo, I drilled and tapped clamp knob to 1/4-20 and bought a couple 1/4-20 x 1 3/4 long stainless socket head bolts, 1 1/2 long probably would have worked also but wanted to be sure I bought long enough. Had to redrill holes using #7 drill bit before tapping, #5 bit will work also but the #7 gives higher % of thread. I did have to cut the length of bolt shorter so it wouldn't stick out and scrape your fingers. Still used rubber to help keep knob from spinning.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
307 Posts
A simple solution is to cut small sections of the rubber strip they provide and install them in opposite sides where the wheel is flatter. This creates a more round profile which the spinner knob can clamp and be positioned easier. It’s worked for me on all of the wheels I’ve installed them on. :good2:
Yep this is the easiest and fasted fix. Cut about 1/2 inch of the rubber provided and you can trim more off if necessary. Spinner sits nice and works just as nice.

·
Registered
968 Posts
In my youth we called them necker’s knob so your girl friend could sit next to you (bench seat no seat belts) with right arm around her and left did all the steering with the “knob”. Steering wheels were like 17” diameter back then.

Put it on your ‘57 Chevy or ‘50 Merc and cruise...........:bigthumb::bigthumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts