Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a Northern tool 26 gallon sprayer put together and mounted today. I strapped it to on of the hitch carriers that is suppose to go behind your truck or SUV in the hitch. It has a couple of boomless spray nozzles and a spot sprayer wand. About $375 delivered. To windy today to spray but I did try it out with water and seems to work well.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Now that's a great idea !

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
That looks like a nice setup! 👍

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Nice setup; you could even plumb in a couple more spray heads at the outer corners of the carryall and widen your spray pattern. Put shutoffs in their lines for when you don't need the wide pattern.

Reactions: trav and BigJim55

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Nice setup; you could even plumb in a couple more spray heads at the outer corners of the carryall and widen your spray pattern. Put shutoffs in their lines for when you don't need the wide pattern.
You don't really need more nozzles. I have the older version of the same sprayer and it will cover 30' if the nozzles are aimed correctly. It does leave a narrow void between the nozzles in the center. When I use my sprayer I spray up and down the field then back and forth to get the best coverage. You can shut one nozzle off and spray out just one side in narrow areas and if necessary shut one side's flow down if needed. There is a 'Y' like you'd use on a garden hose which controls the flow to the nozzles.
I strap my sprayer to the rack on the back of my ATV and wired a switch in so I can shut the sprayer off when reaching the end of the area I'm spraying to save water and chemical. My sprayer is well over ten years old and has been trouble free.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think mine covers the middle between the nozzles fine. I just noticed the pic I posted above has wet pavement from testing it out with water.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
I have the Fimco 15 gal with a boom that works just fine on my driveway. It also has a hand held that I in tight quarters. Now, if the wind and rain would let up, I could get some spraying done.. I am way overdue.

Dave

·
Registered
189 Posts
I know the 2 bomless nozzles should overlap, mine can spray a 36ft swath, 30ft effectively, they make wider but I don't have the pump for those. I have 5 nozzles with 6 different patterns. One thing you should know the plastic nozzles wear out and fairly quick, Boominator makes them from stainless steel, expensive but last you'll buy.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
They may have changed the nozzle design. If I turn the nozzles so I don't have that void it cuts down the overall width of the spray pattern. My nozzles are metal not plastic.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If this is a store bought sprayer it should not leave a gap in the center, they should both overlap slightly and yes by doing so will cut the overall width, crisscrossing would be a waste of product and may put you outside of label restrictions. You can gain width by moving the nozzles higher but this also has a restriction. Boomless nozzles are notorious for degradation at the outside edge of the pattern in ideal conditions, a little wind and it's worse, my 36ft nozzles I'll overlap 3ft.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have always gotten a good kill using this sprayer. I use this sprayer for 41% Glyphosate. At a ratio of 1 qt. per acre or 2 qts. per acre and I have everything carefully measured before I spray. I go until it's empty so I know I have good coverage.
I will try raising the nozzles though. Seems as though I did before but for some reason I lowered them back down. Perhaps for wind drift.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used it today, great design not such great assembly. There were three different leaks, pretty much stuff that wasn’t tightened. Had to do a little disassembly to fix the one.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
On mine you can turn the nozzles to adjust them, it came with them pointed sideways for packing reasons.
Nice setup, I am looking at the same sprayer, was wondering if if the spray pattern can be adjusted down to cover the width of the tractor? At the house I have a lot of beds to work around.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There are two nozzles on the back of the sprayer. You can turn one off, which is probably what I would do. For example, if flower beds were on your left turn the left nozzle off, and the spray pattern would go from the middle of the back of the tractor to the right. You can also spin the nozzles easily but I plan on leaving the way they are aimed alone. One thing nice about the way I have mine setup there are several ways to control the pattern and it’s density. How fast you drive, the pressure setting on the sprayer, turning nozzles off and on, and how high you have the three point off the ground.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Those nozzles are designed to spray left or right, if using one to lower and tip for a center spray it won't be uniform coverage. They do make a center spray in short and full width, from 3-44ft depending on what pump you have and what your looking for in GPA.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.