Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new 655 tiller and some r3 tires for my 2032 Saturday. Now I have to ask, it's been very dry here in southeast lower Michigan. I need to start getting an area in my yard prepped for fall grass planting. I'm on 100% clay and its rock hard right now. Can I start by doing the first pass at 2 inchs? and keep going down? Or do i wait untill later in August? PS anyone looking for a set of r4 tires,only have 69 hours on them.

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
Break it up

I understand a good way to get your dirt towards loam is to cover with several inches of sand then rototill (seat time spreading the sand) "used" sand maybe available from your local sandblaster fairly cheap

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,103 Posts
Price on tires and rims?

·
Registered
61 Posts
working clay

Yes you can set at two inches and then work down from there. The thing to do for you clay and since you are going to plant it with grass is get horse manure or and type of manure and work that into the ground with your rototiller. Clay is missing the neutriants and that is why it is harder to grow in clay.

Also price for set of rims and tires?

Reactions: RandyM and JimR

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sand for working into soil

Ok thanks i will check into that. I have know idea what to ask for the rims and tires!:dunno:

·
Administrator
18,520 Posts
I have know idea what to ask for the rims and tires!:dunno:
What did you pay to get the R3's? A bit less than that is a good starting point since they are essentially new.

Reactions: Superglidesport

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,103 Posts
Ok thanks i will check into that. I have know idea what to ask for the rims and tires!:dunno:
Kennyd's point is a good start, however, I think the shipping may be the deal breaker.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think im going to wait before I sell them and make sure I dont have any issues with the new rubber and the front end.

By the way Kenny thanks for the hooks. We planted 13 evergreens with the help of your hooks and the tractor this past weekend.

·
Registered
10,004 Posts
I just ripped out my clay lawn to expand my drieway, filling then scraping with a loader 420gt. An inch at a time was harder on equipment then dropping it and making 3 passes until it stayed deep, two more passes and it was good loam due to finding a couple sand pockets in the clay.

I say drop it, expect attachment bouncing, but if the tractor does you must lift it.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
With a fall planting I'd wait till Aug. by then we should get some rain.I wouldn't beat the crap out of it on hard ground if I didn't have to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts