Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share the new tires. I actually bought Tru Powers for the front but didn't pay attention that they were for ten inch rims not eight. So ended up with some Carlisle turf savers that the dealership had just so I didn't have to put the 16sb back on. I think it looks all right. I'm debating getting some v61s but I really liked the look of the Tru Powers. Anyone know if there is a ten inch front rim that would work? Anyway other then that the height is great. Finally I can get the deck up enough to not cut my grass so short.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I suppose I should add for anyone else that this is a 2001 425 that came with stock wheels and tires. I put 26x12x12 Carlisle Tru Powers on the rear and 18x8.5x8 on the front. No clearance issues with my 60 inch deck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I talked to the dealer about the same thing. I was wanting to put R4’s on mine. What they came up with was a spindle kit for a Gator that would possibly work. The 1025R’s have a 5 lug wheel so you need a bolt on spindle with center bolt and 5 lug. I opted out because of the $$$!

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
This issue about the optional tires and wheels for the 425 / 445 / 455 comes up from time to time and usually, because of the way the wheels mount and the sizes of the wheels and tire options, they usually end up with the same front wheels and tires. Some have tried more aggressive tread patterns for the rear but the circumference is real important for clearance with the 60" deck, etc. With the 26 x 12 x 12 rear tires there isn't much clearance to start with and anything larger, even different styles in the same size have proven to be an issue.

It's important to measure the circumference of any 26 x 12 x 12 rear tire before buying or mounting them up because there is a good chance they won't fit if they are larger than the stock tires. It's also a issue with the rear wheel steer models, in some cases, even more because there is less clearance to start with................

Interestingly, the brand difference can prevent some from fitting. I don't recall ever seeing a list of those which will work and those which won't, but there have been several who were surprised to mount up the tires and then find problems, so make sure to carefully measure the tires which are being replaced and compare with any alternatives.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
This issue about the optional tires and wheels for the 425 / 445 / 455 comes up from time to time and usually, because of the way the wheels mount and the sizes of the wheels and tire options, they usually end up with the same front wheels and tires. Some have tried more aggressive tread patterns for the rear but the circumference is real important for clearance with the 60" deck, etc. With the 26 x 12 x 12 rear tires there isn't much clearance to start with and anything larger, even different styles in the same size have proven to be an issue.

It's important to measure the circumference of any 26 x 12 x 12 rear tire before buying or mounting them up because there is a good chance they won't fit if they are larger than the stock tires. It's also a issue with the rear wheel steer models, in some cases, even more because there is less clearance to start with................

Interestingly, the brand difference can prevent some from fitting. I don't recall ever seeing a list of those which will work and those which won't, but there have been several who were surprised to mount up the tires and then find problems, so make sure to carefully measure the tires which are being replaced and compare with any alternatives.
The problem comes in with tires that are measured in metric. I've seen where same size tire so to speak but actually slightly large do to where it was manufactured.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The problem comes in with tires that are measured in metric. I've seen where same size tire so to speak but actually slightly large do to where it was manufactured.
Yes, there are a lot variances between manufacturers. Same thing with car and truck tires. It pays to know the circumference. Glad the OP got a set to work, especially with a 60 inch deck. I had a 54 on my 425 and that was pretty tight when I put stock size Ag tires on.

I have V61's on my 400. The problem you may have if you get them is they are made in Europe so may not fit tight on your rim, depending on size. I had to get tubes put in my and that solve my problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts