Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a vintage 430 in good condition and have mowed for the first time, worked great, just a couple observations: Steering 'wonders' a bit , not bad but enough to get off a straight line easily. Speed control 'creeps' up a bit, have to keep a hand on it or will soon be going to fast.

Any suggestions on either issue?

And the big question, how available are parts for repairs over time being an older mower?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Mine wonders a bit too. I just drive it. The hydro control has some loose parts in it. There were about 4 revisions to the hydro controls. Have you serial number handy at look at jdparts.com. they have a breakdown by #. Look at the breakdown and then look at the linkage for the hydro on your tractor. A little wiggling will help you find what's worn.

The steering, look at the tie rod joints and the bolt that holds the axle on. You can adust some of that by the 2 bolts by the front wheels.

On edit: If jdparts say contact dealer that's not a good sign for availability. They still might be able to find what you need. It might be weeks instead of a couple days.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
had a 420 from 1992 till 2016 and love the hand speed control. The hardest thing I had to learn was the dual foot pedals on the new compact tractors. If I knew then what I know now I would have bought a 430 that day. and probably still have it. Good luck and you have a great unit there.

·
Registered
865 Posts
There are two main places for wear on all the version; the bracket on the transmission and the associated part on the rear part of the turn buckle and the bolt and associated part on the front part of the turn buckle.Then the shock wearing out.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts