Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Retiring on July 1, selling current house and starting construction of house on 80 acres in Wisconsin. So, not much going on here. :hi:

Just ordered 1025R with 60" deck and loader. Will have 450' gravel drive so still debating what implement to add to help maintain that. Have Huskvarna rider to mow up close to the house (when I can get grass growing).

Will use JD for some field mowing, driveway work and building some raised beds as it is very sandy there.

Anyway, can't wait to learn. sure I will have a ton of questions and looking forward to participating.

Be well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Frontier land plane check them out on YTube
Thanks, will check it out. Need to do some searching as well. Have questions about easiest way to use weights on the back when using loader and need to be educated aobut 3pt hitch, if I need accessory for easier connection? Obviously I know very little. Think at a minimum I need the accessory that attaches to 3 pt that lets me attach ball for trailer movement.......

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your upcoming retirement and pending new tractor arrival:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Welcome from Ohio. :greentractorride:

Congrats on the upcoming retirement, new homestead and tractor.

If you search this site you will find all kinds of info on accessories for your new tractor.

Reactions: Superglidesport

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,840 Posts
Welcome to GTT jack_pine.
Congratulations on all!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Congratulations on your retirement!

Lots of attachments for you to spend your money on! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Welcome to the site. I envy your retirement, mine is roughly 2 years away. I can't iminage starting what you are at retirement. Good Luck. Nice to have you join us and look forward to all your projects. I maintian my drive with a box blade. :good2:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Great news

Congratulation on well EVERYTHING! You will LOVE the tractor. My Grandfather owned a farm south side of Lancaster and worked on that Farm a couple of summers, I grew up in Michigan. LOVE Wisconsin.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Thanks, will check it out. Need to do some searching as well. Have questions about easiest way to use weights on the back when using loader and need to be educated aobut 3pt hitch, if I need accessory for easier connection? Obviously I know very little. Think at a minimum I need the accessory that attaches to 3 pt that lets me attach ball for trailer movement.......
Welcome,

Although there are several ways of adding ballast, everyone has a different idea about how to do it. But we all agree that FEL work requires it. Opinions will vary, but loading the rear tires and adding either a ballast box or a rack of weights is most common.

A search on this site will bring up many many threads about ballasting. Here's a good start...

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/32945-1025r-ballast-calculator.html#post413897

You may also want to consider a quick hitch on your 3 point lift. In theory, it can make adding ballast or implements lot easier. Why in theory? because not all implements are really designed to be quick hitch compatible. Some may take a little work to get them to fit.

Quick hitches are available from many manufacturers. There again, opinions vary... I have a SpeeCo quick hitch. I got it on sale for about $179, I like it. It was much more affordable than the "green" one.

DSCF0049 - Copy.JPG

I also use the John Deer ballast box that came with the tractor. Mine is loaded with sand and some iron plates. Enough weight that steering is pretty light and it will just about lift the wheels off the ground if I use it without the loader attached.

DSCF0117 - Copy.JPG

Adding a quick hitch will usually require the use of bushings on the lift arm and top link pins... Don't let that scare you, they're pretty easy to figure out. They come in several styles and have a big range in prices. Your local farm store probably has what you'll need for less $$ than your J-D dealer. Most quick hitches require the use of Category 3 pins. They're up a couple of sizes from the Cat.1 your tractor is set up with.

Here's a couple of ways...

Ballast box with pinned on Cat.1 to Cat.3 lift arm bushings...

z1.JPG

The top link pin slot on the quick hitch is larger too, so a bushing is needed there too. In this picture, a Cat.1 pin has a Cat.1 to Cat.2 bushing and a Cat.2 to Cat.3 bushing on top of it...

z3.JPG

z4.JPG

Keep in mind that top link and lift arm bushings may look alike when they're in the plastic bags, hanging on the wall, at the farm store... but they're not the same. Look closely to avoid the need for a second 50 mile round trip to town....:banghead:

This picture shows 2 things.... How to add the receiver hitch to move trailers. This set up is a standard Cat.1 draw bar, with a Ballard Fabrications stabilizer bolted to it. Ballard Fabrication There again, there are all kinds of ways to do it... J-d, Heavy Hitch.....

The picture also shows another kind of lift arm bushing, the removable ones. They're stacked again here too. A Cat.1 to Cat.2 under a Cat.2 to Cat.3. and held in place with a lynch pin and a couple of washers to take out the slack...

DSCF6532 - Copy.JPG

As you buy attachments, you'll want to buy the required bushings, so each implement has their own set and you don't have to do a bunch of swapping.

So, don't be afraid to ask questions... we like questions and we like pictures so show us the tractor when you get it... Enjoy retirement.. I do!!!

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
:wgtt:

Welcome from New York.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welcome from Indiana! I have 20 acres that I maintain and was faced with similar choices as you are now. I use a box blade for maintaining my gravel driveway, a rear blade for snow plowing in the winter, although we've received very little snow the past two winters, so I have not even had to hook it up. I have the JD iMatch system for quick hook-up of the rear implements.

This season I added a mulch kit to my D60 deck and love the results. No visible grass clippings even with high, wet grass.

I did not buy a ballast box, but when I need extra rear weight for balance, I just use the box blade. With the iMatch quick hitch, the box blade sits so far to the rear that even with a full load of rocks, gravel or dirt in the FEL, the tractor feels rock steady.

I've added Ken's Bolt On hooks for the FEL and use those frequently and they are very handy to set the 60D on its side for blade service and to mount the mower deck axles for winter storage.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Welcome from New York! Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. It sounds like you'll need that extra time for your projects, but fortunately, tractorin' ain't workin'.

·
Administrator
20,894 Posts
80 acres! Wow! :thumbup1gif:

Congrats and :wgtt:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hi all,

Retiring on July 1, selling current house and starting construction of house on 80 acres in Wisconsin. So, not much going on here. :hi:

Just ordered 1025R with 60" deck and loader. Will have 450' gravel drive so still debating what implement to add to help maintain that. Have Huskvarna rider to mow up close to the house (when I can get grass growing).

Will use JD for some field mowing, driveway work and building some raised beds as it is very sandy there.

Anyway, can't wait to learn. sure I will have a ton of questions and looking forward to participating.

Be well.
Driveway maintaince? 450' gravel drive, Wisconsin in the winter................

I suggest a snowblower and blacktop the drive to avoid all the stone throwing. Or spend winter in Florida.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
:wgtt: and Congrats on the tractor and retirement!

You've been given great ideas to get you started. 2 things up front.
1- Get an iMatch or equivalent. You won't be sorry.
2- Make sure all equipment you get is iMatch compatible. Again you won't be sorry.
Also get you some suitcase weights. At least 8 but it would be better to have 16. Visit a few Vendors on here.
Kens Bolt On Hooks and Heavy Hitch to name 2. Good luck in your retirement and have fun doing it. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Congrats & Welcome..! :hi:

Don't forget an Imatch..... wish I'd a got one with my initial purchase. Didn't take long to appreciate one though, they are awesome if you have multiple implements to play with.

·
Registered
527 Posts
gttgreen.gif

Welcome from Southern Maryland. Wow 80 acres, retirement, and a new tractor:bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:

You will learn very much here from all the terrific folks on this forum which you have already seen first hand out the gate. Also with 80 acres to play on you will learn fast and have much to share here as well. Congratulations and look forward to hearing and seeing some pictures from your upcoming adventures! :good2:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Welcome,

Although there are several ways of adding ballast, everyone has a different idea about how to do it. But we all agree that FEL work requires it. Opinions will vary, but loading the rear tires and adding either a ballast box or a rack of weights is most common.

A search on this site will bring up many many threads about ballasting. Here's a good start...

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/32945-1025r-ballast-calculator.html#post413897

You may also want to consider a quick hitch on your 3 point lift. In theory, it can make adding ballast or implements lot easier. Why in theory? because not all implements are really designed to be quick hitch compatible. Some may take a little work to get them to fit.

Quick hitches are available from many manufacturers. There again, opinions vary... I have a SpeeCo quick hitch. I got it on sale for about $179, I like it. It was much more affordable than the "green" one.

View attachment 359018

I also use the John Deer ballast box that came with the tractor. Mine is loaded with sand and some iron plates. Enough weight that steering is pretty light and it will just about lift the wheels off the ground if I use it without the loader attached.

View attachment 359026

Adding a quick hitch will usually require the use of bushings on the lift arm and top link pins... Don't let that scare you, they're pretty easy to figure out. They come in several styles and have a big range in prices. Your local farm store probably has what you'll need for less $$ than your J-D dealer. Most quick hitches require the use of Category 3 pins. They're up a couple of sizes from the Cat.1 your tractor is set up with.

Here's a couple of ways...

Ballast box with pinned on Cat.1 to Cat.3 lift arm bushings...

View attachment 359034

The top link pin slot on the quick hitch is larger too, so a bushing is needed there too. In this picture, a Cat.1 pin has a Cat.1 to Cat.2 bushing and a Cat.2 to Cat.3 bushing on top of it...

View attachment 359042

View attachment 359050

Keep in mind that top link and lift arm bushings may look alike when they're in the plastic bags, hanging on the wall, at the farm store... but they're not the same. Look closely to avoid the need for a second 50 mile round trip to town....:banghead:

This picture shows 2 things.... How to add the receiver hitch to move trailers. This set up is a standard Cat.1 draw bar, with a Ballard Fabrications stabilizer bolted to it. Ballard Fabrication There again, there are all kinds of ways to do it... J-d, Heavy Hitch.....

The picture also shows another kind of lift arm bushing, the removable ones. They're stacked again here too. A Cat.1 to Cat.2 under a Cat.2 to Cat.3. and held in place with a lynch pin and a couple of washers to take out the slack...

View attachment 359058

As you buy attachments, you'll want to buy the required bushings, so each implement has their own set and you don't have to do a bunch of swapping.

So, don't be afraid to ask questions... we like questions and we like pictures so show us the tractor when you get it... Enjoy retirement.. I do!!!
Erik & Jack Pine Gypsy-

If either of you lived closer to Southern Ohio, I'd make you a smoking good deal on a Cat-1 Speeco QH and bushings that are taking up space in our barn. for less money, you can buy a better product: a"Pat's Easy Change System (ECS)" It's cast iron instead of Chinese fabricated tube steel, utilizes the existing top link instead of an ill-fitting hook set up. I've hooked up my finishing mower twice this spring with no issues. Pat's is your answer, trust me on this, and good luck with your upcoming decisions. The great folk here on GTT love spending other people's money more than our own,

Brian

1 - 20 of 38 Posts