Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. First time poster here. Just picked up my first rider. Its a 79 212. Kind of trying to to a giant tune up tp the whole thing. But im wondering about this adjustment thing. The 1 through 7. I have no idea what this is any help please? Thanks!

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
It’s the lift lower stop as mentioned. Generally it’s only used for a mower or tiller so you can lift and easily drop to the same setting repeatedly.

For snowblowing or plowing set it at the minimum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks everyone. I thiught it may be for the deck height. But then i figured maybe the cut height is measured by where you place the wheels on the deck. And i will be blowing snow with it. So i should put it all the way down to 1?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks everyone. I thiught it may be for the deck height. But then i figured maybe the cut height is measured by where you place the wheels on the deck. And i will be blowing snow with it. So i should put it all the way down to 1?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hey thanks everyone. I thought it may be for the deck height. But then i figured maybe the cut height is measured by where you place the wheels on the deck.
Set the wheels basically at the height you want to cut. Then set the deck height slightly higher so the wheels are not always in contact with the ground.

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Set the wheels basically at the height you want to cut. Then set the deck height slightly higher so the wheels are not always in contact with the
Right on. Understood. I have another question for everyone.

So if i take all attachments off the machine like mower deck or snowblower is it ok to run it like that? If i run it with no attacments it leaves them 2 pulleys with nothing on them so it just spins wild. Then when i shut down they spin for like 20 seconds after the machine is off. Will this ruin them? See attached pic of 2 pulleys.
20200712_103935.jpg

·
Registered
223 Posts
It seems like there is a PTO brake on there that should stop the pulley when the PTO is disengaged. If it continues to spin it won’t hurt anything. You could turn the PTO on when the engine is shut down and that would stop the pulley.

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
There is a brake on the bottom of the pto. It is adjusted with a 1/2” socket on a 6”+ extension, and you need a feeler gauge. Hopefully someone with the service manual will share that section.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You should Google JD 212 manual and get yourself an operators or service manual. They are offered for free in the PDF version on various sites. I recommend the service manual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it wont hurt it if i have the pto engaged with no attachment?

Thanks for the help everyone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts