Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was finally able to get to the dealer today and see about trading my faithful 2210 in on a 2520.

The 2520 was just as the dealer had described...267 hours, NEW loader and 62" deck. It has turf tires and overal is in excellent condition.
I was given a decent trade in value on my 2210 (I'm sure the new seat and excessive cleaning job helped a bit!).

The only point of concern was a leak I noted on the front drive shaft/axle....apparently a seal was bad and needs to be replaced. And of course, no such seal in stock. The closest one was found at another JD dealer almost 3 hours away....perfect.

The tractor is 'supposed' to be fixed and delivered to me on Monday evening. I am also having them fill the rear tires.

One funny point is the stow and go setup, which this tractor's deck has. I had never seen one before in person, so I asked the salesguy if the brackets on the front of the deck were the stow and go setup. He said he had never heard of such a thing! The sales manager said the same thing. I pointed out the brackets and how they would match up to the 3pt arms. I even mentioned that there is a video on John Deere's own website showing the feature in use.

I went ahead and bought all the filters/fluids to start fresh with the maintenance on the 2520. I also bought new mower blades....the ones on it were shot. The salesman also ordered me the smv emblem/mount which was missing from the 2520 (on the dealer's dime).

All in all, I was treated well by the dealer. I'm a little irritated that the leaking seal was caught by the dealership before (the tractor was brought to this location from another of their stores on Monday). But it will be fixed.

Of course, an obligatory pic:
Land vehicle Tractor Vehicle Agricultural machinery Lawn

·
Registered
947 Posts
Tackle...

Congrats. It looks great and sure it will look even better once it is at your place.

May I ask what year the 2520 is?

lost

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tackle...

Congrats. It looks great and sure it will look even better once it is at your place.

May I ask what year the 2520 is?

lost
ya know...I have no idea! Thats about the only thing I didn't check over or ask about! Ha! I mean I went over everything under the hood, under the tractor, under the deck, all the 3 pt and loader mechanisms, road tested the steering, trans, 4wd, everything.....but didn't even ask the year! :laugh:

It must not be a real new one...the serial number range seemed low (when I was trying to locate a manual on JD parts).

When I find out, I will let you know...

·
Administrator
21,048 Posts
Great looking machine TB! You will love that so much more than your 2210!

·
Registered
280 Posts
congratulations, any new attachments in mind

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
It must not be a real new one...the serial number range seemed low (when I was trying to locate a manual on JD parts).
The wheels on the deck will attest to that also.They are the older style flat wheels.
The wheels were changed to rounded ones because they had a tendency to dig into the ground.
Tackleberry,are the 3PT arms the newer style? If they aren't, that may be something to look into too.

As Kennyd stated,you will thoroughly enjoy new machine.:thumbup1gif:

Greg

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The wheels on the deck will attest to that also.They are the older style flat wheels.
The wheels were changed to rounded ones because they had a tendency to dig into the ground.
Tackleberry,are the 3PT arms the newer style? If they aren't, that may be something to look into too.

As Kennyd stated,you will thoroughly enjoy new machine.:thumbup1gif:

Greg
Greg,

The wheels are the flat style....any idea if the newer rounded ones are a direct swap? And I'm not sure about the 3 pt arms....what do I look for?

John

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
congratulations, any new attachments in mind
The only thing I really want right now is a ballast box....the dealer said they "NEVER" sell them, so they don't keep em in stock.
I've been around loaders enough to know I want one, even with the rear tires filled.

·
Registered
278 Posts
That is a nice looking 2520. Hopefully RandyM won't throw anything at me, but good choice going with the turfs.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is a nice looking 2520. Hopefully RandyM won't throw anything at me, but good choice going with the turfs.
Ha! I love the turf tires. They kicked some ass in the snow over the last few years on my 2210. I actually had been holding out to find a 2520 with turfs on it....nearly all of them around here seem to have the r4's.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Greg,

The wheels are the flat style....any idea if the newer rounded ones are a direct swap? And I'm not sure about the 3 pt arms....what do I look for?

John
The old ones (on the ground in this picture) were known to rub the rear tires. The new ones (mounted in the pic) have an additional bend to clear the tires.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great looking machine TB! You will love that so much more than your 2210!
I loved the sound when I started it up on the lot....I can't wait for it to get home!

You guys have no idea how irritated I was when I found out that I couldn't bring her home with me today...I gave that saleguy a load of crap for about an hour. I managed to get a free hat (whoo hoo), smv emblem, discounted rear tire filling and free home delivery Monday (if the seal they are waiting on shows up Monday am).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The old ones (on the ground in this picture) were known to rub the rear tires. The new ones (mounted in the pic) have an additional bend to clear the tires.

The pic isn't showing up for me.....I can't recall what the arms look like (and they have already taken it off their website so I can't look there).

What little googling I did before I replied here to you it looks like the 'new' style arms are around $330 each....does that sound right?

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
No harm done here Erik. That is why we have choices, one thing does not work for everyone. :thumbup1gif: It has to do with a lot of variables, soil type and type of use are just a couple.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The pic isn't showing up for me.....I can't recall what the arms look like (and they have already taken it off their website so I can't look there).

What little googling I did before I replied here to you it looks like the 'new' style arms are around $330 each....does that sound right?
That's weird. I can see if fine. Try going to post number 10 in this thread. (Hopefully referencing another forum is ok here). It's the same picture.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/155647-2520-3-pt-hitch-arms.html

Not sure on the price of the draft arms, but that sounds awfully high.

·
Registered
278 Posts
No harm done here Erik. That is why we have choices, one thing does not work for everyone. :thumbup1gif: It has to do with a lot of variables, soil type and type of use are just a couple.
I agree whole-heartedly Randy. Just having a little fun with ya!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's weird. I can see if fine. Try going to post number 10 in this thread. (Hopefully referencing another forum is ok here). It's the same picture.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/155647-2520-3-pt-hitch-arms.html

Not sure on the price of the draft arms, but that sounds awfully high.
I'll bail you out if the internet police get ya for posting the other site :shhh:

I see the difference clearly. I'm fairly confident mine has the old style arms. I'll have to check with the dealer on the pricing on the new style.

I can tell you that I didn't care for the lack of ground clearance at the rear axle with the MMM attached....I was very surprised how low the mounting brackets hang.

Thanks for the heads up on the new style arms!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree whole-heartedly Randy. Just having a little fun with ya!
I'll admit that I am going to be on the lookout for a set of r4 wheels/tires for mine...just because I can!
:grin:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll bail you out if the internet police get ya for posting the other site :shhh:

I see the difference clearly. I'm fairly confident mine has the old style arms. I'll have to check with the dealer on the pricing on the new style.

I can tell you that I didn't care for the lack of ground clearance at the rear axle with the MMM attached....I was very surprised how low the mounting brackets hang.

Thanks for the heads up on the new style arms!
And of course, now I can see the picture you posted that I couldn't see before.....gotta love the interwebz.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts