Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I picked up a 318 last night for $450.00. The guy I bought it off of bought it for a project. It does not run but turns freely.
Here are some pics
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Wood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Green Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Bumper

I was told that the fuel line is not in its original location. Can anyone assist with a pick showing where it is to go/be ran?

Also. if I am reading the VIN correctly and subtracting the last 6 from the start of the year on tractorinfo.com, this was number 1522 built in 1983.

I am new to the 318 line as I have a 1975 300. I am sure that I will have lots of questions.

TIA
Matt

·
Registered
174 Posts
Good luck with your 318, great project. I have an '89. There is no question that the 318 is one of the best garden tractors that Deere ever built. My guess is that you have a B43 engine, I don't know much about that motor. Mine had a P218G and I recently swapped it to a P220G. There is a wealth of knowlege on this forum, and the people here are a pleasure to work with. All you need to do is ask and someone will help you for sure.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Matt,

Nice score! The original fuel system routs pretty much like your picture, but the factory pulse pump had a square body. It is powered by a hose from the crankshaft (under the engine tins...)
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Gas Hood

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Here is a Deere published year to model chart if you want to get the direct scoop on SN matching...some of the other sites do not always have the exact correct information...
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Chuck

·
Registered
9 Posts
It sounds like you have an early 318, so that should have a B43G engine. That fuel pump isn't an original. Here is a picture of my B43G engine and the fuel pump.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive design

The pump is a vacuum type pump, and there is a hose connected from the back of it to the timing cover. If that hose is cracked or broken, then the pump won't work.

The 318s are great machines, and the engine is pretty simple to work on. I've rebuilt two engines now, and parts are still available, just not cheap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks all. I'll be working on it over the winter. I double-checked the VIN. I do have an 83 model. The 1522 one built if you do as I think, subtract my last 6 of the VIN from the starting VIN. Its really clean. Appears that there is hardly any rust other than the deck. Mostly surface rust on the machine itself.

EDIT** Looking for the best place to get a factory (or best aftermarket) fuel pump. I got a lot of parts off eBay for my 300. Again, I'm new to the 318.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts