Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to my in-laws and came home with this -

picture is post clean up... it is not cosmetically in the best of shape, but has been maintained well. Only has 186 hours on it.

obviously hasn't been used much in the last few years based off the numbers on the oil filter. I know the previous owner and I got a really good deal on it. My father in law sold it to his neighbor, he used it once in 10 months, and I bought it from him.

I'll do a complete maintenance service to it, change all fluids including the transaxle and anti freeze. Probably go ahead and get another set of blades for it, so I can keep a sharp set. And it could use new front tires, there are a few plugs in one of the front tires so I will replace the set.

It will replace my X324. I only use the mower for ditches, slopes along the driveway and cutting around a few things I have out back. The 540 is pretty beefy, a little stouter than I remember it being. The larger wheels, high back seat, tilt steering and power steering are a nice upgrade. Never thought power steering was a big deal on a mower, but man, it is sooooo easy!

I don't know if there is much love here for the X5 series, but so far I am happy with it. I think it was a pretty good score.

·
Registered
13,023 Posts
went to my in-laws and came home with this -
View attachment 795810

picture is post clean up... it is not cosmetically in the best of shape, but has been maintained well. Only has 186 hours on it.

View attachment 795811

obviously hasn't been used much in the last few years based off the numbers on the oil filter. I know the previous owner and I got a really good deal on it. My father in law sold it to his neighbor, he used it once in 10 months, and I bought it from him.

I'll do a complete maintenance service to it, change all fluids including the transaxle and anti freeze. Probably go ahead and get another set of blades for it, so I can keep a sharp set. And it could use new front tires, there are a few plugs in one of the front tires so I will replace the set.

It will replace my X324. I only use the mower for ditches, slopes along the driveway and cutting around a few things I have out back. The 540 is pretty beefy, a little stouter than I remember it being. The larger wheels, high back seat, tilt steering and power steering are a nice upgrade. Never thought power steering was a big deal on a mower, but man, it is sooooo easy!

I don't know if there is much love here for the X5 series, but so far I am happy with it. I think it was a pretty good score.
The x540 was an excellent replacement for the 345. It’s everything that icon is, and a bit more

Once you have power steering it is hard to go back.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish I had your in-laws!
HAHA! Man I have the best in-laws!

My mother in law was giving my father in law a hard time. She told him "I told you you should have called, he could have got it free"... My father in law sold it to a neighbor and I bought it from the neighbor. So, unfortunately I did not get it free, but I think I got it about a thousand under market value. I used my father in laws trailer to get it home, about a 4 hour ride. I have to take the trailer back next weekend, which is okay with me. They are enjoying their retirement and are a lot of fun to be around, best stocked bar in town. lol

·
Premium Member
2015 5045e
223 Posts
Just sold my x540 to my neighbor, it was a good mower. Went and got a new zero turn recently so I didn't need two. Nothing bad to say about it at all.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I used my 540 on my lower field/swamp today. I had been on vacation and it had been three weeks. It was lush, green, very tall and damp and no match for the 540. When I did ditches yesterday I hopped on and it read 500.0. I got it three years ago with 370 hours and had to do a ton of work on it. Since I got it squared away it has been trouble free. I also spent a couple of hours today on my 2305 with the RFM doing the front field. Yesterday I spent a couple of hours cutting and bagging the entire civilized yard with my X324. Each machine has their purpose and I enjoy them all. Power steering is fantastic! I could almost get by without the 324 but I really like having redundancy. I only paid $2k for the 324 and bagging system when it was four years old and had 224 hours. If I sold it and later missed it I would kick myself. That is a sweet looking machine you’ve got. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yesterday I spent a couple of hours cutting and bagging the entire civilized yard with my X324. Each machine has their purpose and I enjoy them all. Power steering is fantastic! I could almost get by without the 324 but I really like having redundancy. I only paid $2k for the 324 and bagging system when it was four years old and had 224 hours. If I sold it and later missed it I would kick myself. That is a sweet looking machine you’ve got. Enjoy!
This is where I am. I have larger tractors for the heavy work. A Zero Turn for the "yard". And a X324 for the misc areas. The 540 could/should replace the X324. But the X324 has been paid for a long time and really doesnt cost anything to keep it, other than storage space. May be a decent idea to keep it around...

Reactions: FortClatsop

·
Registered
323 Posts
I briefly had a 540 in 2007, traded it up for a 2305 which was traded up for a 2320 which I am currently trading up for a 2032. I also just traded up a 320 for a 590. My 540 had a water cooled engine, does yours?

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, water cooled engine, radiator sits on top of the engine, hydraulic power steering, hydraulic deck lift.
some other nice details, locking diff, serviceable diff, tilt wheel, fuel gauge, temp and oil dummy lights, comfy high back seat.
With the deck it weighs right at a thousand pounds, pretty beefy for a riding mower (I guess technically called a garden tractor)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yes, water cooled engine, radiator sits on top of the engine, hydraulic power steering, hydraulic deck lift.
some other nice details, locking diff, serviceable diff, tilt wheel, fuel gauge, temp and oil dummy lights, comfy high back seat.
With the deck it weighs right at a thousand pounds, pretty beefy for a riding mower (I guess technically called a garden tractor)
What year?

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
serial number is 060104, if I am reading Tractor Data correctly, this should be a 2011. 2011 to 2014 all have a 06XXXX serial number, this one being 0104 I am thinking it came off the line in 2011. Checking with mother in law to see if she happens to have the paperwork from when they bought it.

Edit; Pretty sure it is a 2011, found some additional info that 2012 are 07XXX numbers

·
Registered
13,023 Posts
serial number is 060104, if I am reading Tractor Data correctly, this should be a 2011. 2011 to 2014 all have a 06XXXX serial number, this one being 0104 I am thinking it came off the line in 2011. Checking with mother in law to see if she happens to have the paperwork from when they bought it.

Edit; Pretty sure it is a 2011, found some additional info that 2012 are 07XXX numbers
The date of production should be on the serial number sticker

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
This is where I am. I have larger tractors for the heavy work. A Zero Turn for the "yard". And a X324 for the misc areas. The 540 could/should replace the X324. But the X324 has been paid for a long time and really doesnt cost anything to keep it, other than storage space. May be a decent idea to keep it around...
Problem is, with power steering on the new machine, the x324 will hardly ever get used. I had the same thoughts with my old tractor when I bought another new one. Since the fall of 2017, I have used my old tractor less than a total of 3 hours.........It's officially time to say good bye as its a shame for a great machine to sit there unused when someone could really be getting some helpful use out of it........It's the same thing with not using the x324 to mow the entire lawn when you own a ZT, the machines designed for the purpose are usually the machines we go to first and they are the best at the tasks they were built to handle..................

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The date of production should be on the serial number sticker
Don't see a date on the sticker, but the date code in the serial number is an A, which is 2010 build date. Unit was purchased in March 2011

Problem is, with power steering on the new machine, the x324 will hardly ever get used. I had the same thoughts with my old tractor when I bought another new one. Since the fall of 2017, I have used my old tractor less than a total of 3 hours.........It's officially time to say good bye as its a shame for a great machine to sit there unused when someone could really be getting some helpful use out of it........It's the same thing with not using the x324 to mow the entire lawn when you own a ZT, the machines designed for the purpose are usually the machines we go to first and they are the best at the tasks they were built to handle..................
Exactly! and agreed, she will go on Craigslist / Marketplace this weekend. I'll probably get in a selling mode and list a bunch of other stuff too :)
thanks for pushing me over the edge Sulley

·
Registered
13,023 Posts
It should be circled in blue.

DOM=date of manufacture

Reactions: ridesdirt

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DOM is 11/29/10 I did get the original bill of sale, purchase date 02/01/11, receipt calls it a 2011. The date code in the serial number is "A" which according to JD is a 2011 model, with sequence number of 060104, it was the 104th unit made under the 2011 model. The 06XXX part of the number does reference to a 2011 model. So I am guessing the garden tractors are a little more like cars than compact or AG tractors are, made in 2010 but sold as a 2011.

Anyway, I got the folder with all the service records today. All good news. Regular oil changes from John Deere. In the one picture, the oil filter has a 03/30/18 date 150 hours on it, well that was a major service, including trans axle filter and fluid. Tractor now has 182 hours on it. Also had the carburetor, PTO clutch, new blades and the deck chute replaced. So all good news and info. There is a Safety DVD in the folder but no Operators Manual. I know the manual is available to view online from JD, but no easy way to print or save the entire file (that I can figure out anyway), I may end up buying an operators manual...

I feel a better about the mechanical part of it now, cosmetically it is okay, not beat up and zero dents, there is a small crack in the hood (bummer) and the finish is pretty dull. I may try wet sanding the hood with 1200 and using a polishing compound with the electric buffer just to see if I can get a little shine on it, not that it matters, it is a tool and I will use it as one. I am still going to do full service to it.

·
Registered
13,023 Posts
DOM is 11/29/10 I did get the original bill of sale, purchase date 02/01/11, receipt calls it a 2011. The date code in the serial number is "A" which according to JD is a 2011 model, with sequence number of 060104, it was the 104th unit made under the 2011 model. The 06XXX part of the number does reference to a 2011 model. So I am guessing the garden tractors are a little more like cars than compact or AG tractors are, made in 2010 but sold as a 2011.

Anyway, I got the folder with all the service records today. All good news. Regular oil changes from John Deere. In the one picture, the oil filter has a 03/30/18 date 150 hours on it, well that was a major service, including trans axle filter and fluid. Tractor now has 182 hours on it. Also had the carburetor, PTO clutch, new blades and the deck chute replaced. So all good news and info. There is a Safety DVD in the folder but no Operators Manual. I know the manual is available to view online from JD, but no easy way to print or save the entire file (that I can figure out anyway), I may end up buying an operators manual...

I feel a better about the mechanical part of it now, cosmetically it is okay, not beat up and zero dents, there is a small crack in the hood (bummer) and the finish is pretty dull. I may try wet sanding the hood with 1200 and using a polishing compound with the electric buffer just to see if I can get a little shine on it, not that it matters, it is a tool and I will use it as one. I am still going to do full service to it.
The dom 11/29/2010 lines up with the model year 2011.

I didn’t mean to cause a ruckus, I was just sharing information for those without original paperwork.

Reactions: ridesdirt

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The dom 11/29/2010 lines up with the model year 2011.

I didn’t mean to cause a ruckus, I was just sharing information for those without original paperwork.

Totally understand, I feel like a jack wagon not figuring out DOM was date of manufacture... DUH! Actually you enticed me in to researching the serial numbers, it is actually pretty interesting, there is a LOT of information in that series of letters and numbers... there is a reason to all that madness!

Well, in my defense that is the only part of the sticker that is difficult to read, like it got rubbed by something there. It looks like there is a clear cover is still on the sticker so I left it there.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have not done the maintenance yet, but did run this for about an hour tonight. a few things that stuck out to me;
1) power steering is nice, the X324 is four wheel steer and turns tighter, but I would trade that for power steering any day.
2) bigger wheels ride smoother
3) frame is stiff, tractor is solid
4) dash board, gauges and lights are nice.
5) it is thirsty, and when it runs out of gas it doesn't start back up until you put more gas in it. ask me how I know
6) it is fast, transaxle and hydro drive is fantastic! very smooth.
7) power steering is really really nice.

Cut quality is ahhh, okay. I will put new blades on it. I am comparing to ZT quality, IMO it will never match that, blades just don't spin fast enough.

I like this mower a lot, very pleased with it, and definitely an upgrade to the X324 (but I still like it too)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts