Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
So apparently you find the power steering to be a nice thing. Good! In terms of ride I ended up putting suspension under the seats of both my mowers. I also put the XB200 high back on my 324. I added the arm rests to the 540. Too much elbow work to make that practical in the 324. Part numbers on the suspension Am148403. M166745 bumpers, and depending on the height of your present seat bracket sometimes a M146750 is required. Some bolts and nuts are needed too. My spine appreciates the $300 I spent.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Have not done the maintenance yet, but did run this for about an hour tonight. a few things that stuck out to me;
1) power steering is nice, the X324 is four wheel steer and turns tighter, but I would trade that for power steering any day.
2) bigger wheels ride smoother
3) frame is stiff, tractor is solid
4) dash board, gauges and lights are nice.
5) it is thirsty, and when it runs out of gas it doesn't start back up until you put more gas in it. ask me how I know
6) it is fast, transaxle and hydro drive is fantastic! very smooth.
7) power steering is really really nice.

Cut quality is ahhh, okay. I will put new blades on it. I am comparing to ZT quality, IMO it will never match that, blades just don't spin fast enough.

I like this mower a lot, very pleased with it, and definitely an upgrade to the X324 (but I still like it too)
Yeah, it's a little strange that they won't start back up after you run out, until you add more gas. Weird how that works, lol.

But seriously, I think that sharpening the blades properly to spec, confirming tire pressures, and leveling the deck side to side, and front to rear will help alot. And, depending on how high you cut, you might want to look into a speed up pulley. With my x540/48, I tend to cut at 3.50" to 3.75" and I like to use the G5's with the speed up pulley, that offers more lift to help suck up the grass blades after the front tires roll over. Makes for a pretty nice cut.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yeah, it's a little strange that they won't start back up after you run out, until you add more gas. Weird how that works, lol.

But seriously, I think that sharpening the blades properly to spec, confirming tire pressures, and leveling the deck side to side, and front to rear will help alot. And, depending on how high you cut, you might want to look into a speed up pulley. With my x540/48, I tend to cut at 3.50" to 3.75" and I like to use the G5's with the speed up pulley, that offers more lift to help suck up the grass blades after the front tires roll over. Makes for a pretty nice cut.
clue me in on this modification. Is there a direct replacement pulley that will increase blade speed?

Will get the G5s for sure.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I did the mod 6-7 years ago so I don't recall the part number of the pulley, but if you do some searching, I know it's been discussed a number of times. The swap generates another +10%, and I think it helped alot when cutting at higher lengths. Keeping the blade sharpness to spec (0.015" break) is just as important. The G5's come notoriously dull out of the box, so check that before installing.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts