Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I've just signed up after purchasing a used 2008 X300 with about 353 hours on it. Mechanically, it is in good shape and runs smoothly.

I got the tractor for $725 as the hood on it is badly cracked. A new hood is not in the budget at the moment and I was wondering what if any repairs people have had success with. I have done a bit of searching for used hoods with no good results. Found a deal here or there but usually to far to drive to pick up. Shipping is outrageous (around $100) so I'd like to pick it up.

Any and all ideas are welcome. Look forward to your replies.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I'm no good at helping with the hood repair, unless you can use acrylic on it while waiting for the right replacement to come along, but...

:gtfam:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,541 Posts
Hi everyone,

I've just signed up after purchasing a used 2008 X300 with about 353 hours on it. Mechanically, it is in good shape and runs smoothly.

I got the tractor for $725 as the hood on it is badly cracked. A new hood is not in the budget at the moment and I was wondering what if any repairs people have had success with.
Don't know what you mean by badly cracked or how cracked, but have seen a can of "Bondo" and a can of spray paint work some magic.
If the hood is not shattered................

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hood repair

Do you or any friends know how to fiberglass?
I'm NO EXPERT by any stretch of the imagination, but I can make repairs
good enough for my equipment. After all, it's for work, not a show piece.

I bought a used Bobcat UTV & the Curtis Cap roof had been damaged before I bought it.
Not a big deal, price for the UTV was reasonable & I honestly know just enough about
fiber-glassing to be dangerous!! LOL

Basically mix & follow directions on a fiberglass kit from auto parts store. Overall really easy.
Mix just a bit at a time as the resin dries QUICK.
Let it dry, sand & repeat with layers of fabric & resin if need be. Paint it when your satisfied with
the overall look & feel.
WEAR GLOVES & a BREATHING MASK!!!!!
Take your time with it!! I did the inside & outside for strength, most people can't tell it's been fixed
unless you really look for it.
101_7144.JPG Photo1191.jpg 20140913_172438.jpg

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
After all, it's for work, not a show piece.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Another avenue is to look into simply acquiring some thin sheet metal and a rivet gun to patch things up temporarily until you find a good used (or new) hood. Or, you can take what Duke said previously, and after you rivet it all back together, glass it in on the "show" side and paint it JD green. That ought to fix it up real nice.

BTW... Pictures would be helpful, and :wgtt:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I know absolutely nothing about fiberglass, but I will in about a week! I'm going to give that a try and I will report back with results. If it looks terrible but holds together that will be 100% improvement in my book. And I might even learn something in the process.

I was going to post some pictures but I can't quite figure out how to with Tapatalk. I will work that out and get you some pictures.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Fiberglass on You-Tube

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I know absolutely nothing about fiberglass, but I will in about a week! I'm going to give that a try and I will report back with results. If it looks terrible but holds together that will be 100% improvement in my book. And I might even learn something in the process.

I was going to post some pictures but I can't quite figure out how to with Tapatalk. I will work that out and get you some pictures.
Watch some You-Tube videos on doing it.
Really easy & you will pick up ideas & pointers watching how others do it.
Just take your time & start out small area?
You can always sand down & rework it.
FOLLOW SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS!!!
Wear gloves & breathing mask!!
YOU CAN DO IT!!! :good2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts