Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here she is. I picked it up this morning.
It is leaking some antifreeze on the front side of the engine. Which i knew before i purchased it. I am assuming it is the water pump and will be replacing it and the thermostat if it has one. And also replacing the coolant temp sensor.
It also needs a tail light which i got included with the tractor. I just dont know what bulbs it uses as they are both gone.
I will find out more this weekend when i get to dig into this new toy.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405023416.054382.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405023432.236696.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,729 Posts
Nice. I also like your trailer.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Sweet!! You will like that -- it is a real mowing machine!

I see evidence of the standard "duct tape tail light retainer" on your fender. :lol: My high hour X495 had both tail lights messed up when I got it, so I replaced them both with new assemblies from GreenFarmParts. Therefore I am not too sure about the bulb part number...but JDParts.com should help you find it.

x495 old right taillight and duct tape mess.jpg x495 left taillight broken but not taped.jpg

...and with the new light assemblies
26x12.00-12 turf tires on x495.jpg

Chuck

...by the way, I found WD 40 Took off the duct tape adhesive without scratching the plastic finish...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.
The trailer is an alumaline i think is how you spell it. The ramp on the back is the only thing i would change if i could.
It bucks wind pretty bad empty and would be nice if it would fold forward.
I got a good deal on it because of a few of the issues.
I paid $3500 for it and it has 935 hrs. From a jd dealer. It also came with a brand new in the box seat and tail light assembly.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,729 Posts
Thanks guys.
The trailer is an alumaline i think is how you spell it. The ramp on the back is the only thing i would change if i could.
It bucks wind pretty bad empty and would be nice if it would fold forward.
I got a good deal on it because of a few of the issues.
I paid $3500 for it and it has 935 hrs. From a jd dealer. It also came with a brand new in the box seat and tail light assembly. /QUOTE]

Thanks.
Darn, I was really liking the tail gate. The tail gate is what caught my eye.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They make 2 designs. This is the better of the 2. The other one doesnt fold in half and really bucks wind!
I want to move the hinge up a little on the back so you could fold it over flat on the trailer for empty or short loads.
I get 1.5-2mpg better mileage with a tractor on the trailer than i do empty.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i popped the hood off to check out the coolant leak and this is what i found.
There is a weep hole in the aluminum housing on the front of the engine by the muffler. Is this just the water pump or do i need to go deeper?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405036464.684733.jpg

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So looking at a parts schematic im a little confused as to exactly what i should order.
Im thinking the 37 and 41 seals should get the coolant out of the weep hole area.
What have you guys experienced?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405037976.384471.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Not sure but you may get better info at JD parts. They have the full parts description and pictures.

jdparts.deer.com

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had to change my pump as well when I first got my 485. It is item #46 in your pic and the PN is AM134586. Get some good quality RTV sealant and download the Kawasaki service manual from the internet or get the X485 service manual which will serve you well. It took me abt 3 hours total to change mine. Just take your time and make a cardboard plate to put the bolts through to keep track of them as there are 3 different sizes if I remember correctly.
You did diagnose the problem properly, it is just the pump that needs to be replaced.
BTW congrats on your purchase. I love ours except I rarely get to use it as the wife does all the mowing, I know one thing though the 2320 will never mow grass again as the X485 is a much faster and better riding way to mow and uses almost half the fuel the 2320 did.

Here is a link to the engine manual

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByzVqbnZhOMPQmRQVFdEUlE2VGM/edit?pli=1

and one for the k92 Tranny

https://www.tufftorqservices.com/EnvEEdefault/FlatHTML/TechInfo/docs/manuals/k92.pdf

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you.
My question now is if just the seal is bad and only $13.00. Should i just replace that or the whole thing for $130.00?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Buy the pump, the seal is a bear to change and you may find after you get it apart that the mechanical seal is going bad as well and that seal prevents antifreeze from getting into the oil. I thought the same thing until I found out about the way it is put together.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would assume never.
How often does it need to be done?
How hard is it to adjust?

It takes about a half hour, it is all in the manual I gave you the link for. Easy job. I changed all the fluids in mine as well as doing the valve adjustment and changed the plugs. That way you have a known baseline to start from.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you.
I have to get to my computer. The link wont work correctly on my dumb phone.
I plan on doing a full maint to it in the next couple weeks.
First off I need to just get it up and mowing to see if there are any other bugs i have to deal with.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok i spent about 10hrs cleaning and doing greasing and sharpening this weekend and got a chance to mow with it today for about 3 hours.
First off i would like to thank the previous owner for not taking care of this thing. And apparently using it only when the grass was wet. I took a whole 12 gallon shop vac full of crap from under the seat and on top of the fuel tank and below it and everywhere!
This thing was a mess underneath.
But it is clean as a whistle on the bottom side now.
I got the new tail light in and dont like that they dont match so i will be buying a new right side one to make them match.
I zip tied the reverse sensor so i can mow in peace now and love the way she puts down the grass even with a no lift set of blades. I didnt know they still made blades that were perfectly flat.
I do however have a question now... Why does it put out a high pitched whistle when mowing? More so when under load. It almost sounds like a tiny turbo screaming away under the hood.
Also has anyone ever seen a water pump stop leaking? My local jd dealer hosed me out of the last water pump in mn so i am waiting for another one to come in which i was told they are on emergency low supply or something. He said probably a couple weeks at best before it shows up. So i figured i would just keep an eye on it and since tearing everything apart to clean and powerwashing the whole tractor it hasnt leaked a drop and the resivour is at the full line.
Kinda odd!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,729 Posts
Ok i spent about 10hrs cleaning and doing greasing and sharpening this weekend and got a chance to mow with it today for about 3 hours.
First off i would like to thank the previous owner for not taking care of this thing. And apparently using it only when the grass was wet. I took a whole 12 gallon shop vac full of crap from under the seat and on top of the fuel tank and below it and everywhere!
This thing was a mess underneath.
But it is clean as a whistle on the bottom side now.
I got the new tail light in and dont like that they dont match so i will be buying a new right side one to make them match.
I zip tied the reverse sensor so i can mow in peace now and love the way she puts down the grass even with a no lift set of blades. I didnt know they still made blades that were perfectly flat.
I do however have a question now... Why does it put out a high pitched whistle when mowing? More so when under load. It almost sounds like a tiny turbo screaming away under the hood.
Also has anyone ever seen a water pump stop leaking? My local jd dealer hosed me out of the last water pump in mn so i am waiting for another one to come in which i was told they are on emergency low supply or something. He said probably a couple weeks at best before it shows up. So i figured i would just keep an eye on it and since tearing everything apart to clean and powerwashing the whole tractor it hasnt leaked a drop and the resivour is at the full line.
Kinda odd!
Maybe not the same but the water pump gasket on our 650 started leaking after about 4 years of owning it. Believe it or not the 2320 had the same problem after about 3 years. Both would only leak if the engine was cold. After the engine was warmed up the leak would stop. They were both small leaks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is def not a gasket. The 3 piece water pump casting is sealed with silicone and it was coming out of the weep hole.

Maybe it was just a runny nose from being so dirty underneath. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts