Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Let me start by saying new member here- been lurking for couple of weeks and finally joined.
Have a second/vacation home, 23 acres , mostly wooded located on side of mountain. Driveway both asphalt and dirt, about 250 ft.
Located next to the white mountains in NH.
Long story short was looking for a cheap tractor to cut grass . Found a tractor on local CL and jumped at it- 1988 430 with 750 hours. Tractor was outside covered last 2 years. I brought a jumper box and an air tank with me. When I first saw it I almost walked away but I decided to go for it. Put air in front tires and hooked up jumper box- started right up. Was able to barely get it in gear but got it on trailer.
Tractor, mower deck, 48 snowblower, rear weight bracket, chains, thatcher , spreader and dual bag system for $1500
I kinda went through it couple of nights and see what I needed. Installed new battery. Steam cleaned everything. Changed fluids and filters. New tires- V61s in front with Trupowers in back. Bought block warmer to install before the winter. Bought all new belts. Replaced all fuel lines and cleaned out tank( yes replaced pickup tube)
New PTO and light switches as well. Things were going great right up until the fuel filter.................... I rushed and just removed the old and installed the new one. Started tractor up and was going to bleed but the tractor sputtered and crapped out before I could do it.
Started it up again, sputtered again and won't do anything now.
The pump does not come on at all, no noise or vibration. When I turn the key ....... nothing
Battery fine, fuses fine..... I have read tons of threads on this but can someone explain things in simple terms? Electronics are definitely my weakness.
Should also be noted that none of my lights work either- used test light
Thanks for any help in advance!

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Welcome to Gtt.

Well quick thinking I would say if your not hearing your fuel pump it might not be working. If your lights were working and are not now then I would think something electrical. There might be another main fuse somewhere or broken/corroded wire.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks- should've mentioned that lights didn't work initially. The machine was starting up and running no problem before changing filter

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
You may have tripped the breaker. Look for the white button on the right side of the pedistal, you have to raise the hood to see it.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Reactions: Dave C

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link
I looked on R side but don't see a white button anywhere

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Yours might be different. Mine has a white breaker you have to manually reset. My wiring is also a hack job from the PO. The breaker looked original. That manual should help you pretty quickly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update before I head out to work- I started at very basics beginning with testing fuses- the fuse tested fine but apparently the oxidation was the problem. Cleaned fuse blades and put some dielectric grease on it- started right up!!!!
Runs great, bled filter ran a few minutes.
Off to work but made my day

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So we figured out the problem on the no starting- corrosion on the fuses.
Tractor starts up no problem now.
As I explained before the tractor is in need of a little TLC. Was filthy so steam cleaning was done. New battery installed. Took off seat pan(all rubber mounts broken) , removed fuel tank. Pickup tube was broken off as well as 2 fuel can caps inside tank. Flushed tank out and replaced all fuel lines. New filters and fluids. All 3 belts will be replaced. Waiting on rear tires and other parts to start putting it back together.
Body panels are in good shape and will buff everything out to keep vintage look. Have a few more things to do on mechanical wish list but need pointers on
-Drain coolant and radiator, flush as well. I bought JD block heater and will need to install that at the same time I would imagine. I understand I have to remove plug but heater mount is threaded- do I need another piece to install?
  • After I got it running I tried out lights. Brand new light switch installed When I put 1 bulb in front harness the tractor immediately crapped out. Remove bulb and started right up - any ideas?
  • Removed mower deck... there is still a short driveshaft sleeve connected to the pto- assuming that comes off but not sure how?
Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After I get it running and put back together it's on to the next phase- attachments.
Will be using tractor in NH and this is what I'm hoping to do with it
-snowblower...... came with 48 blower that was hardly used. Once I get it put together we'll hook up the blower and see what happens.
-Grass..... came with 50 inch deck. Deck is a little rough but everything is there. How do I go about this? Should I replace bushings,etc right away or take it 1 step at a time. Seller told me that it throws belts now and then.
- Would like to use it to move trailers around, mainly snowmobile trailer during the winter.
If I put a 3 pt hitch on could that be used to easily move trailers around?
I would like to a box blade for driveway maintenance
Also wouldn't mind a brush type rear deck as well- is that something that can be done?
Lastly wouldn't mind having a woodchipper- is that possible?
As far as 3 pt hitch leaning towards Ruegg with cat 1 capability.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Cooling system holds just under a gallon. I just flushed mine last weekend. Leave the coolant down a good inch for expansion.

·
Registered
865 Posts
On it throwing the belt - Check the tension pulley, it may be frozen by rust, does it take grease? Are the pulleys in alignment (same plain)?
Front light issue - Check the wiring for touching any metal (hot surface and insulation hate each other - causes melted wires and shorts). I used ty-wraps and moved up off the hot areas.
PTO/Short drive shaft - there is a locking ring that needs to be moved back to rear of tractor, then slide that off the drive shaft. The ring may be hard to move and need PB Blaster due to dirt and rust.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Be sure to get the driveshaft back "in Phase" when sliding the 2 sections back together.
Perhaps it has a master spline but I'm doubting it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies
When you flushed it what did you use? I went to local JD dealer and he told me to make sure to use the same color coolant???? He said it could mess things up if you switched. I'll admit I'm new but is that correct?
Sprayed shaft and collar with PB tonight and will try tomorrow night
I'm very interested in getting this set up with a 3 pt system and at least a box blade for starters.
Any experiences with Reugg cat 0-1setup ?
I'm discovering that implements for cat 0 are not readily available on CL . Don't belong to FB so that's not an option. Any ideas or tips as where to find Cat 0 stuff?
Or could Reugg setup handle a cat 1 setup?
If I really want something I usually troll CL for months and months-sometimes years to find a deal. Don't think I have enough time left to wait for this stuff :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good buy! It is not yet broke in. I have one with 8,000 hours and the head has never been off.
Not much help here on the snow blower and such. If you ever have the deck off look at the driveshaft very closely. If it comes out it is most distructive. Parts are no longer available.
Keeping coolant the same cooler is good advise.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have the Reugg Cat 0, so I have two tractors with rear PTO for my mechanical tiller that I can use. Working on a single plow conversion from draw bar to 3pt. Look for Brinly stuff, lots of people have their gear for ground engagement and yard work. I have the QH front mount 47" 2 stage snowblower and 54" Front mount blade for winter work and working on rebuilding the 54" broom I picked up cheap, and the front mount 38" de-thatcher with 2 8" extension with the QH from one of the guy who makes them and sells them on the forums or eBay. Next on the list is a grapple since I have a lot of trees dying and the trunks can weigh a lot. (Back Saver)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just installEd a reugg cat 0 on my 332, pricey but seems very well made. I don’t have any implements yet but plan on a rake and box scraper in near future. Check out heavyhitch.com for some cat 0 stuff. I’ve also been eyeballing the front grapple for tree work as well

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just read one of your prior posts.....I used 3pt to pick up and move my fully laden (likely over loaded) sled trailer full of household goods to move about the yard. No issues. However the weight of trailer was a bit much for tractor even with four suitcase weights on front. Be careful with the weight of what your moving and grade of your yard. My yard is “fairly” flat and the trailer did push me sideways a bit going down a ever so slight grade change.....a bit scary

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As far as moving trailer it would basically involve pulling trailer out of garage to make it easier to hook up to my truck- flat driveway
Just seems like it would be much easier to do with tractor. Figure the snowblower would act as a good counterweight with trailer attached

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
As far as moving trailer it would basically involve pulling trailer out of garage to make it easier to hook up to my truck- flat driveway
Just seems like it would be much easier to do with tractor. Figure the snowblower would act as a good counterweight with trailer attached
I move my trailer with my 420 all the time. I know I’ve exceeded the 600lbs rating with tongue weight, but it’s no problem. I have a loader, so front weight isn’t an issue. I don’t even latch the hitch, because it’s just low speed, back up, raise the 3 point and go. The only thing is the jack setting to use the tractor is well below where it is for a truck, so if you spend a lot of time cranking if your just positioning it to hook up your truck, personally I’d just hook the trailer to the truck in the garage.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts