2,159 Posts
:wgtt:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:wgtt:

Which tractor do you have?
I am wrenching on the 47, A. It has the electric start and lighting as a factory option. When I engage the clutch I just feel pre sure and when I disengage I get a good loud SNAP. My next thing to try is to adust the crank shaft end play to see if it helps.

If my spelling is off I am sorry but I am on my phone since I can't afford Internet or a computer in this economy. I work 70-80 hrs a week and can just barley support myself, my wife and our two beautiful daughters(age 4 and 1.5). But I do still tinker with my tractors when I can since the 47 started as a me and grandpa project and now I have to finish it solo.

·
Administrator
20,730 Posts
The clutch should only snap into the forward or engaged position, not towards the rear or disengaged. Either your adjustment is way off or your clutch is worn, possibly both. Both are easy to adjust. Do you have any manuals?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the IT manual and am aware on the clutch adjustment procedure. I have had the fork bearing and shaft rebuilt and the the sliding piece in the clutch was very sloppy on the drive pin so I gave it some attention. The IT manual and some people tell me that there should be a good snap to the clutch going both ways. When I had the clutch apart I inspected the dogs, toggles and operating bolts and although I have never seen any of them new they did not look excessively worn to me so I did not replace them. Last night I worked on tightening up the end play of the crankshaft by moving the flywheel to the right and it seemed to help a little but did not solve the problem. So that is were I'm at.

·
Administrator
20,730 Posts
I have the IT manual and am aware on the clutch adjustment procedure. I have had the fork bearing and shaft rebuilt and the the sliding piece in the clutch was very sloppy on the drive pin so I gave it some attention. The IT manual and some people tell me that there should be a good snap to the clutch going both ways. When I had the clutch apart I inspected the dogs, toggles and operating bolts and although I have never seen any of them new they did not look excessively worn to me so I did not replace them. Last night I worked on tightening up the end play of the crankshaft by moving the flywheel to the right and it seemed to help a little but did not solve the problem. So that is were I'm at.
There is only one "snap." It snaps into engagement and back out of it at the forward end of the travel. It shouldn't snap into the rear extreme end of the clutch handle movement.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I am correct the clutch should snap when the slider inside of the pulley assembly goes over center either direction. At least according to the Owners manual I received with the tractor that was printed in 1947.

·
Registered
11,926 Posts
I think both of you are saying the same thing. The clutch snaps in to engage and snaps out to disengage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts