Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to come up with a way to get the 7yo son interested in the outside versus always wanting to play video games.

This 214 popped up on Craigslist for $50 picked up, luckily it was 20 minutes from the house. I texted the guy and he said that it was ours. Me and the GF drove over and loaded it up.

He ran the motor low on oil on a hot day and said that the next time he went to crank it it just clicked. Motor is locked up, but everything else seems to be function as it should, as best as I can tell. His dad bought it new, and when he got sick it became his. He was reluctant to sell it, but once he heard my plans for it, he was okay with it.

Plan is to tear it down, clean it up and then paint the sheet metal.

The motor is another thing, I have checked around various small engine dealers and they are proud of this little Kohler. I have toyed with the idea of a swap for the Predator from Harbor Freight, but I am not 100% on board with the idea.

Wanting something that he can mow on, put a small cart behind it and he can take out the trash to the dumpster, haul feed out to the chickens, ducks, goats and sheep.

Am I wasting my time with this tractor, everything is there minus a few bolts here and there and the key, which I don't think is a big problem. Needs a spring in the deck lift handle to "pop" the button up so that it will lock.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Reactions: raco232

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
1,301 Posts
Looks like a great base for a project! Good luck! Please post updates of the progress!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Darryle, My personal preference is a hydro like the 3xx series, but I've never heard a bad word about the 2xx's. Owner's won't say they 'lik'em', only say they, 'LOV'EM'!!

This would be an excellent learning tool for your son. I don't know your abilities or tools, but I'd pull the engine, dismantle, and inspect. You'll probably find a seized rod with a buildup of aluminum of the crank journal. Some hydrochloric acid on the crank, a rinse & polish, and the crank may be fine. Depending how much of the rod journal is torn up, this may (??) need replacing. A new rod, a gasket kit, a learning experience for your son, and your K321 will be purring! Once the engine is complete, you can now show your son how to prep & paint! Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts