Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought 11 ac in south central Texas, only need to mow 1 or 2 ac of that and have a shredder for the rest, back in December i ran across a Z525E on sale at Lowes for 2399.00
and bought it on the spot. Being new to Zero turn any pointers would be appreciated. also are there any weak points to the Z525E that i should know about?
Funny Story: the store delivered the mower when i was at work and the first time i tried to use it i could not get it to move forward or reverse, after spending several hours reading the manual I came across a reference to the transmission bypass lever but could not find any other reference to them in the manual, I had to spend another hour on the internet looking before i figured out where they were.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I bought 11 ac in south central Texas, only need to mow 1 or 2 ac of that and have a shredder for the rest, back in December i ran across a Z525E on sale at Lowes for 2399.00
and bought it on the spot. Being new to Zero turn any pointers would be appreciated. also are there any weak points to the Z525E that i should know about?
Funny Story: the store delivered the mower when i was at work and the first time i tried to use it i could not get it to move forward or reverse, after spending several hours reading the manual I came across a reference to the transmission bypass lever but could not find any other reference to them in the manual, I had to spend another hour on the internet looking before i figured out where they were.
The first few hours are frustration as you learn new reflexes to maneuver the zero turn, driving a straight line on bumpy grass is difficult...its learning to drive all over again. Once you master it you'll wonder why you didn't change over to zero turn sooner. If it does not have a suspension seat assembly, invest in an aftermarket one to save your back.

G

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
I just bought a Simplicity zero turn to mow my acre or so a couple of summers ago. It's great!! What a time saver!

The best advice I got regarding learning to control it was to think of it as a shopping cart. Imagine the levers are the handle of the cart and "push" it where you want the mower to go. In all reality, it will probably only take about an hour or so until it's all second nature to you.

Sorry, I have no specific info about your mower.

Congrats on the new property purchase as well! And, welcome to Green Tractor Talk!

Reactions: BlackC5 and Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,824 Posts
New Z turn mower owner. Any operating tips?
Also,
While moving forward sometimes you have more control using one lever instead of both for direction control, especially slow moving and tight spots (trimming).
Straight lines, you need to pick a point at the far end of your run and drive to it, don't make small corrections right in front of you.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
Very Unpredictable Disposition
14,580 Posts
i could not get it to move forward or reverse, after spending several hours reading the manual I came across a reference to the transmission bypass lever but could not find any other reference to them in the manual, I had to spend another hour on the internet looking before i figured out where they were.
I'd like to know why it was delivered and left in the Bypass position. Sounds like someone from Lowe's needs a good Butt Chewing.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'd like to know why it was delivered and left in the Bypass position. Sounds like someone from Lowe's needs a good Butt Chewing.
I suspect that rather than starting it and driving it down the ramp, they just rolled it down. They are easier to push around in bypass. Perhaps they knew from experience they don't know how to steer a Z-turn well enough to stay on the ramp.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
Very Unpredictable Disposition
14,580 Posts
I suspect that rather than starting it and driving it down the ramp, they just rolled it down. They are easier to push around in bypass.
I suspect the same, but the water-boy should have placed it in the Drive Position before leaving the scene of the accident.

Perhaps they knew from experience they don't know how to steer a Z-turn well enough to stay on the ramp.
"Boy!!! Some people's children."

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
I can understand their reasoning for pushing if off the trailer. I just unloaded my "new to me" Z960R off the trailer by backing if off. That will not happen again. In the future I will back it on the trailer and drive it off. I came close to pushing if off the trailer also. I had forgotten about the bypass, so probably could not have pushed it off. Last time I bought something with a bypass was in 2004. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then.

Thanks to BlackC5 for posting about the bypass. I suspect that not many zero turn owners know about that. It was a surprise to me, but being a previous owner of a non-tractor hydro, I should have remembered.

Dave

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have a small Deere 345R with the 42" deck. I have the smaller size because I don't have acres to mow and I have a LOT of trees to go around. You'll get the hang of it in a few hours. The biggest issue I have is making tight turns and not tearing up the grass. Practice, practice, practice.

Reactions: BlackC5

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The first few hours are frustration as you learn new reflexes to maneuver the zero turn, driving a straight line on bumpy grass is difficult...its learning to drive all over again. Once you master it you'll wonder why you didn't change over to zero turn sooner. If it does not have a suspension seat assembly, invest in an aftermarket one to save your back.

G
thanks for the insight I'm working on it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well it was delivered with the manual from a 3 series along with product serial numbers so i registered the warranty with JD based on that before i recognized the serial id indicated that it was a 3 series, and then had to re-register it correctly and go back to the store for the correct manual. i hope who ever bought the 3 series does not have a problem with their warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I suspect that rather than starting it and driving it down the ramp, they just rolled it down. They are easier to push around in bypass. Perhaps they knew from experience they don't know how to steer a Z-turn well enough to stay on the ramp.
yea well i use an 18' bobtail car hauler trailer to move it from my current home to the "farm" (coming from a family the has owned and operated real ranches and farms i feel stupid calling 11 ac a farm) and i drove it up the narrow ramps to get it on and will never do that again, when i took it off i disengaged the bypasses, lined it up and let it take itself off the trailer, all went well but i would rather mess up some equipment than lose body parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can understand their reasoning for pushing if off the trailer. I just unloaded my "new to me" Z960R off the trailer by backing if off. That will not happen again. In the future I will back it on the trailer and drive it off. I came close to pushing if off the trailer also. I had forgotten about the bypass, so probably could not have pushed it off. Last time I bought something with a bypass was in 2004. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then.

Thanks to BlackC5 for posting about the bypass. I suspect that not many zero turn owners know about that. It was a surprise to me, but being a previous owner of a non-tractor hydro, I should have remembered.

Dave
well the trouble shooting section of the manual mentions the bypass's in passing but never explains ( as far as i can find) where to find them, they are right behind the fluid reservoirs on each side on the 5 series.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a small Deere 345R with the 42" deck. I have the smaller size because I don't have acres to mow and I have a LOT of trees to go around. You'll get the hang of it in a few hours. The biggest issue I have is making tight turns and not tearing up the grass. Practice, practice, practice.
the 345R looks impressive but this was a steal and i'm a big boy so i thought that the larger frame would stand up to me better, otherwise the 5 series is overkill for the amount and frequency of my mowing. yes the practice is coming along, just a few more trees to rub before i get it down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the responses, does anyone know where i can get upgraded seat springs?, i would got for the suspension seat but they all max out at around 275 lb and i weigh more than that so it just becomes useless for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have a Ryobi 42 inch 48v zero turn on order from HD. Got some learning to do.
i have not looked into electric let us know how well they work, i'm really happy with all my other tools that i no longer have to put gas in or pull a power cord around behind me, but i don't know if they can get or i can afford that many batteries into a mower.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
and another thing i learned is that the cup holders are not good for holding your drink cup, after 2 laps of the yard i thought i would celebrate my early mastery of not taking out the fence post or eating the hog wire only to learn that the drink was more dirt and grass than drink.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have a Country Clipper Z-turn that uses a joystick instead of the 2 arms for control. It has 2 bypass chains, one for each hydro. Everything I can drive (including tractor George) has been stuck in my back yard mud. It is a rite of passage. When something with a bypass for the hydro gets stuck, I pull the bypass before I pull it out. That way it doesn't drag it's wheels.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
You'll know you have a lot of Z-turn experience when you can back up full speed in a straight line without leaving skid marks in the wet spots then up a ramp under the same conditions.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts